Laptop or ipad

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Hotspot17, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    In a market for something that I can use to read research papers (pdfs), watch movies and access internet when wifi is available.

I seem people with ipad with keyboards that seems very intriguing. But not too happy with the limit of 60-something gig as the drive space. But doubt I need a full laptop at this stage of the game. I need something mainly for riding on the bus or on the plane.

Any ideas or advice?

2. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Until the iPad evolves past gimmicks, you can't go wrong with a laptop.

3. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I have to concur. I like Apple, products, really, and the iPad IS slick, but for the cost, (relatively) low memory, and still (as far as I know, at least) not supporting Flash, it's a no-go for me. Can get a decently decked out laptop for cheaper/the same with more memory, faster proc, and more flexibility.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Laptop.

The ipad is for when you have extra money to throw around.

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Functionality > fancy gui

Get a notebook - it's cheaper, more useful, better features and just as portable.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I really don't understand the market for tablets; iPad, Archos whatever.
    For the same money you can get a laptop that is more functional and more powerful.

7. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Laptop all the way. As far as I am concernerd, imo, the ipad is a gloirfied iphone sans the phone.

8. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Excellent. I was thinking an apple laptop would be more useful. The question is now this. I'm going on a big international trip about a week from now. I really don't need the laptop as I can bring things to read and do but it make my life easier to have one cause then I can access the web and stuff. But then again I'm not sure if the lab I'm about to join will buy me a laptop to use. I already got a nice brand new imac at home. Suggestions? Would be nice if i can borrow a laptop from a relative. I know that's lame...

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    laptop.. and an Ipod touch.. then you got both essentially..

10. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Laptop. iPads are great devices, but they aren't even close to a laptop.

11. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Exactly. Until the iPad is in the Kindle-ish price range ($99-$200 or so) for interactive publications, it's nothing more than a high priced gadget.

And I say this as I work in publishing. For the digital publications I work on, the experience still seems a bit better on a straight up computer Mac or PC.

12. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Well I don't know, I asked this same question a while ago, and right now I quite enjoy my 64gb Wifi and 3G iPad.

I will say this though, it's worth the money I paid for it. To be fair, I didn't pay a cent, my aunt paid. :lol 

The iPad's main advantage is the apps, obviously, and they are mainly gaming related, anyone that tells you otherwise is a liar. The only exception, though, and the reason why I chose to get the iPad over the laptop in the end, is that the iPad can run Pages, Keynote and Numbers, which are the Mac versions of Word, PowerPoint and Excel respectively. While you will need to purchase the apps (I haven't yet, need to wait till I get back home), they make the iPad usable as a machine for work. Granted, I'm still a student so this is what fits me, I don't know about your job, but its enough unless you are in dire need of a certain program at all times. I completely disagree with Rattrap007, the iPod can't run the aforementioned three apps, and the keyboard on the ipod is a joke due to the size. I also disagree with MidnightBliss, as the iPad is actually much better than an iPhone, hell, I chose to get an iPad over an iPhone just a few days ago. Again, the iPad runs those three apps, and the size is really the main thing that separates it from the other tablets/phones/iPods; makes it much more practical.

Also, if it helps, Pages and Keynote can both import stuff from their Microsoft counterparts and export them back out in PDF format, though I doubt you'll need it since you use a mac computer. Actually, that's mainly why I think you shouldn't get an Apple Laptop, you have a mac to use already, you'd be getting your desktop pc just smaller. The iPad is enough for basic work needs, on a bus or plane where a computer is not readily available, but where you actually work will generally have a computer nearby anyways.

You can also find Adobe Photoshop Express as a free app for photo editing, and VLC Media Player is also free.

As an aside, am I the only one who finds the rectangular pad mouse placement thing on a laptop really bloody annoying? I like my ipad's touch screen because it eliminates the need for a mouse entirely, and carrying a USB mouse around means I need a flat surface to use it one, which isn't usually available on a train or bus.

The only thing I will admit the iPad lacks is a USB port, though I have not found a need for one as yet. It does mean everything has to go through iTunes, though, so if your job does not allow you access to iTunes on a computer then you might have a problem there. I've not had a problem with this yet, but maybe you might.

For me I find it is a medium between a gaming machine and a laptop, so it's sorta half half in terms of available features, though I don't believe it sacrifices anything in particular from either side. The keyboard on the iPad is certainl very good, though, emulates a real keyboard very well. If you've played with Apple technology before you'll know how to find things like question marks and apostrophes, other wise it might take a bit of getting used to, however the keyboard itself isn't hindered by this much. The auto guess function is also somehow very bloody accurate, so often I type dont and it will automatically change it to don't for me. No need to search for that pesky apostrophe. Double tap space = full stop + space is also very useful.

Right now I say you should get the iPad, but wait till iPad 2 comes out. I didn't wait because by the time that comes out i'll be back in Australia where things cost a crap load more, but if you can, then it would be better to wait.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    if your needs are the above specifically, the ipad is perfect.

ive seen tech guys whove totally embraced the ipad as tech manual substitute by using it to archive all the tech docs which youd otherwise need a satchel to carry around with.

(and if you decide you dont like it its easy to sell too. i also assuming you already have a pc for actual work.)

14. Starfire22

Starfire22 I am dirty dan!

News Credits:
    PC for one thing, STEAM!