Laptop BIOS question

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by yodafett, Jan 28, 2012.

1. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I work in IT, so I'm not exactly ignorant to most thing tech related, but I'm stumped on this one. My mother in law has a laptop. It's about 19 months old. Compaq (HP) Presario, Windows 7 Home. A while ago, it started giving her the "This version of Windows is not genuine" message that a lot of PCs seem to get after the SP1 install, for some reason. Anyways, after looking at it, I see that about half of the info in her BIOS has been erased. The hard coded info, not the stuff you can modify yourself. Like the Product ID, and the Hardware Serial Number, fields like that have all been reset to all 0s, or 1234567890. I tried a BIOS update, which says it went fine, but no change.

I didn't know if anyone else had come across that or had any advice on how to remedy it? I thought about a restore, but since this is BIOS, not just the WinOS, I was doubtful about wiping it with such a low likelihood of success.

2. SSJ Rodimus

SSJ Rodimus Just 'Ownz' Here Veteran

Ebay:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    You probably already know this, but the "Windows is not genuine" message is due to the change in your BIOS information, since Windows now ties it's security checks to the major hardware components of the system.

Restoring the BIOS, and especially re-installing Windows, would NOT recover the hardware information, as far as I'm familiar with. Typically, the only one with access to edit the hardware values is the manufacturer, which in this case is HP.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure why the information would vanish, other than having a failure during a BIOS upgrade or installing a beta/custom BIOS.

3. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Have you tryed doing the old reset trick with the bios. I mean pull the jumper on the board where it says Cmos on the board and see if that would fix it. I am a tech myself and I have never heard of that 1 myself so I see what your talking about. Or it could simple be a factor that the MB is starting to go bad. I've see that happen before on laptops as well and it don't matter how old they are, they ALL can have problems at any age.

4. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Thanks all for your input. MoBo bad is my biggest concern. For some reason, the "reset" jumper slipped my mind... I just kicked into "It's a laptop so that's not applicable" and I totally spaced on it. I'll try to dig up tech data on her model and see if that's listed anywhere. Thanks again all! :)