Laptop backlight went dark

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Foster, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have a two-year-old Toshiba laptop, upper midrange model I guess. Backlight went dead. Am I better off replacing this thing or does repair generally make sense in a case like this?

I'm sick of holding a flashlight in my teeth.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Laptop Repair Help ยป How to replace laptop backlight lamp (CCFL)

A quick ebay search shows the lamps sell for about $5 - $8 (depends on model of course, could be more for yours). Sounds like a pain in the ass to replace, but for $5 I'd give it a shot if you are at all technically apt.

You could probably buy a whole new screen with a new lamp already installed and make it a lot easier on yourself. It would cost more but it may still be worth it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks, definitely looks like something I would just misdiagnose or fuck up worse were I to attempt myself.

4. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Had this happen on an old laptop. The laptop was quite old so i just went ahead and purchased new. Sorry to hear it happened to yours. Shouldnt happen to any model just 2 years old.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's not outside the realm of possibility that my wife dropped it without telling me.

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Are you good with building computers, or technologically inept? If you've built a computer, you should be able to replace the light no problem, and save a lot of money. If not, send it in for a repair, but it doesn't make much sense to get a new one, as it isn't really old enough to replace yet.

7. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Hey Ill do it for ya Fost.

Backup all your crap on there and Ill toss a new 7 on there for ya too, if ya want to speed her up again.... Ill even get rid of that Toshiba crapola and anti crapola.

8. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Could be the ccfl in the lcd or the inveret itself, both are cheap parts that you can pick up on ebay.

9. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

depending on wather your monitor is a LCD or LED it can range from $80-150
    could also be the inverter, $8-15
    backlights could be the prob, they are just the biggest pain in the butt to replace, i've done a few and it took me all night to get the freaking frame to wrap right and get it back in place so it would actually go back in the frame

my suggestion, replace the inverter first, make sure you look at your inverter first to make sure u get the right one. before you order make sure it has a 30 day money back, so if it isn't the inverter that's the prob, you can send it back and get your money back. never order from overseas eather! (i do computer repair, worked in a shop for a while before i got the job i have now) but we ordered all our parts off ebay. ebay is cheaper if you are technically apt enough to do it yourself, otherwise you will pay out the butt for the factory to do it.

just as an example, the LCD for my persona laptop is $80 on ebay, if i had sent it to HP to have them repair it, just the part was $500

if you have any questions whatsoever, foster, feel free to pm me and i'll help in any way possible. all you gotta do is ask!

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks for the help guys. It was the inverter, and I bought a replacement online and swapped it out earlier this evening. No harder than replacing a car battery.

Laptops intimidate me, all that shit crammed together like that.