Language contact

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Hellbat, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Hellbat

Hellbat ヘルバット

So we know that the 13 had names derived from latin.

What bugs me however is that those first 13 Transformers were named by Primus and that latin probably wouldnt have existed at the time the 13 were created since it was long before the evolution of mankind, or the existence of earth.
    So when latin is a very old/"dead" language could it be possible that Primus and Unicron and the 13 didn't speak "modern" Cybertronian?

So when the 13 have latin names could it be possible that this very old, ancient language they spoke and were named in was actually just translated by Prime and the rest in latin because they thought it was the most comparable they could come up with?

2. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    The closest to a "real" in-universe answer we're going to get is that the latin words we use are the closest to translate to our language. Cybertronian language is likely vastly different, but somehow "Nexus Prime" in Cybertronian translates into "Nexus Prime" in our language.

Or a variation of what you said, maybe Latin is a universal (but dead) language.

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I'm guessing they came up with the analog that Latin = Ancient, and used it to translate the names.

4. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Don't know if you read the first TF movie book..but the writer had Optimus explain the language differences when it came to their names....it doesn't get into Latin, Greek or other origins, just what was the best "fit" to describe them and Cybertron. So much of English is derived from Latin, so it would be logical that the names would be similar, I suppose.

First, in the book to communicate with Sam, they downloaded the entire WWW within a few minutes and chose English after hearing Sam and Mikaela talking.
    Optimus tells them that "a suitably simple comprehensive identifier for you might be Cybertron." (for where they're from)

Then "Just as there are no apposite translations for where we originate or what we are, there are none for our individual nomenclatures."
    "For convenience in communication we have selected namings from your vocabulary to approximate a combination of our localized camouflaged shapes as well as our particular temperaments. Though by your definition we are no more than 'machines' we do possess individual characteristics and personalities as well as abilities and skills.."

Then Optimus introduces his bots, Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet and Bee.

5. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or it could just be a cartoon, just roll with it.

6. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Stop spamming threads where people would like to discuss TF origins, no matter what or when they may be, if you don't care, then don't post.