2D Artwork: Landmine

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Kris Smith, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Kris Smith

Kris Smith Active Member

Hi! I'm not exactly new around here but I am one of the "lurker kings" who just never posts (or even registered, I just read the forums everyday), until now.

I'm a long-standing member of the TF fandom who went into lurker mode for MANY years and was (under an actual handle and not my real name which I use now) and was one of the earliest 3D modellers of Transformers (I went by "DeathWind" WAAAAY back in the day)

Well, I'm finally out of my immense funk and have begun to start actually showing off my work so, I hope you enjoy it, comments are most welcome.

This is Landmine from the Transformers: Cybertron series. I use a 2D/3D fusion for my artwork. I'll have a lot more artwork to come in the near future.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/26941424/

- Kris Smith

NEWLY ADDED:

2 more images of Landmine:

Landmine - Full Front Body Image

Landmine - Cyber Key Power!!! (Using His Backpack Weapon Thing)

Check it out!

2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    ah!

gorgeous!

im glad you've come out of hiding xD
    this is good stuff :D 

*edit* ah!!

i remember running into your DA gallery not too long ago. im so glad you've posted something new. Your shockblast/Ironhide pics [while butt-kicking] left me wanting more xD

wEE xD

3. Kris Smith

Kris Smith Active Member

Heh, funny enough I had JUST sent a reply to your comment on my DA page like a minute ago :thumbs2: 

Thanks for the comments!

I've been away from this WAAAY to long, I need to post my stuff, everyone keeps bugging me to post. My girlfriend mentioned a long time ago putting stuff up again, so, I did it.

I'm still trying to decide on what to do next, i have a few ideas throwing around but I still need to do a scene with Landmine in it while i work on another TF. There's LOTS from Cybertron I want to do.

EDIT: I really need to update Shocky and Ironhide, there's some stuff I really want to do with them. Glad you like my stuff! :thumbs2: 

4. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i almost didn't reply to this thread, but i realised that i know i hate it when people view your work but never leave any comments, so i thought it'd be nice just to have my input.

I love it, very accurate, the face could perhaps have a little but more work on it, maybe a darker grey could even just be the thing. Other than that, i really like it and i'll take a look at your other work when i'm next online. Great work.

5. hellopike

hellopike Evil Repaint

Niiice Kris, really tight. Nice animated look. Hope to see more! I'd love to see you do an alternator in your style.

pike

6. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    sweet i added it to my favorites on devart!

7. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

That's pretty cool.

8. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Cool, Superlink-style Guardshell. Very nicely done. :thumb 

9. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Wow, you've got some nice looking models there. One thing I noticed though, is that some of the rounded areas are still a little bit too faceted. I would go and add some more polies to get rid of that.

Btw, what program are you using?

10. Kris Smith

Kris Smith Active Member

Aww, crap I just noticed that (you're talking about on the edges of his shovel things, right, looks like 3 flat edges instead of rounded).

I use a LOT of programs, heh. This isn't a 1 step cel-render :p  Basically I model the base model in 3D Studio Max 5, It a very simplistic model because I'm not doing a 100% cel render. Its a kinda low poly, only the details I need for the model. Then i put the model into Swift 3D which converts the model to lines which I then put into Macromedia Flash where I eliminate unwanted lines (LOTS of em) and make some of the straight edges into round (like I forgot to do, :p ) lines and then I either hand color the whole thing in flash or (as I tried out in this shot) use a lighting system in Swift 3D (when I do it myself it looks REALLY like a cartoon). Then it goes into Photoshop for any after effects (like glows and whatnot). This all sounds more complicated than it really is :p 

EDIT: Oh yeah, in Flash I add all the details I want that the 3d model lacks, because its supposed to be a 2D/3D fusion. So really the cel rendering/3d modelling is basically just a "base" for me to work with to finally create my desired final product. Landmine needs a few tweaks here and there Ive noticed, but I'll fix em in a couple new shots

11. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

Cool. I really like this style for TFs art. I don't think I see much of it though. I saw a G1 Bluestreak once that someone did, that was pretty cool.

12. Kris Smith

Kris Smith Active Member

Update!!!!

Okay,thanks for all the kind comments, I got some updates for ya.

I did a full front shot of Landmine cause you really cant see it that well in the shots I have and then a second shot of him using his "Cyber Key Power" just cause I like the blades :D 

I want to do eventually a shot of Coby piloting his custom Scrapmetal drone, just to show how a 2D human character interacts with a 3D piece of machinery and make it look like he's supposed to be there and not "added in". Cause that defeats the whole purpose of it :p 

Landmine Front Shot

Landmine Cyber Key Power

13. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice work!:thumb 

14. ashe5k

ashe5k Well-Known Member

Nice work on him. I really like the look and feel. Interesting method to get the look.

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Thats 3D?! INcredible.

16. kia

kia The Transformator

welcome back!! Thats a really nice peice, I like the way you blend the 2d and 3d together in comic color tight model, cant wait for more!! :thumbs2:  :thumbs2: 

17. shedbandit

shedbandit Quintesson's Minion

Welcome back to the land of the living man. Great work. Interesting workflow too.

18. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

Nice work looks really good!

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I remember you. Good to see you back, d00d. And awesome work on Landmine!

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Nice!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock