Lack of Personality? (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Evan Goldsborough, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Well, I went through and read the script for a second time. My opinion still stands: fairly good, will have mind-blowing action but not much else, but that's all it needs.

However, what struck me is the lack of personality from the Autobots. As is, they're all rather Spock-like: not much in the way of individuality or emotion. I mean, it even says in the secript their earth names were chosen based on their personalities; I just don't see it.

Now, the VAs will probably add their own twist on things, but as is, I'm a bit worried.

I tried to imagine the original voices in my head while reading it, and it just doesn't work. It wouldn't take much to change, though, so maybe it was fixed in the current script.

Any thoughts?

2. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Well, it was said that the Transformers gain more human characteristics later on (from Spock to regular human?). And I have to admit, I don't like their lines, but when I imagined Jazz and Ironhide actually talking, it seemed to be pretty good, especially since Jazz is always concerned about the others. I only worry about Ratchet...

3. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

Well ,if you are an good robot alien coming to Earth ,you don't expect to have ,of course ,personality nor emotions at first. This is what I think it will hapen : The autobots don't have any level of emotion nor human characteristics like personality. They may recognize good and evil and understand to protect any lifeform from the Decepticons ,but that's it. As they know humans like Spike ,his father and Spike's girlfriend ,they will grow with a sense of emotion they never expect a machine to feel. They'll become that which makes them more than a machine. Especially Bumblebee and Pime ,since they'll be more in contact with Spike than the other autobots.

4. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

But it's already been established that they're not earth robots fresh off the assembly line. They don't need to be programmed to have character. They're alien life-forms with artificial components...they've done a fair share of living before coming to earth, and would therefore already have personalities and emotions. It's part of what makes them lifeforms instead of machines.

5. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Yeah, Transformers have always been more than just machines (or having a completely machine-like way of expressing themselves). They've been evolving just like organic creatures and have encountered countless alien species. That's part of what makes them Transformers and not just big alien machines.

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I thought Ironhide showed a lot of personality simply with the few lines he spoke,

If I remember right it was something like:

"Why are we hiding."

and in reference to killing Sam's whole family...

"It would be quick they would feel no pain."

7. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Well, fair point. It just seemed a bit stiff, considering who it was comimg from. Doesn't really work with the whole "cowboy" persona of the character, ya know?

Maybe its the lack of emotion that's bothering me....

And before you say it, the filmmakers have said their keeping the cowboy aspect of Ironhide.

8. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

The problem is, I can see that dialogue being spoken by any of the autobots, save Prime. Nothing in those lines says "ironhide" to me, just as nothing in Jazz' lines say Jazz. Hell, he sounds more like ratchet, when you consider the idea that the medic on the team has always shown more than his fair share of compassion toward life.

So far, Prime is the only one with any sort of personality that distinguishes him from the other Robots. Even Megatron doesn't have much, judging by what we've read. he sounds like every other lazily characterized main villain in a movie that has a badly characterized main villain. Let's not even get started on Starscream.

9. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

From what I did heard and read from the leaked plot and lines... I can't really get enthusiastic about. It's all so... bland. The three words I associate with this movie sofar are: "Unrecognisable (not representing that which they claim they represent), Deception (oh the irony! And yes, of the fans), Abuse (of characters and the brand as a whole to make a quick buck), Lacking (in about everything, from putting effort in the concepts, characterisation, to plot etc.)".

So that were four words. UNFORTUNATELY, these are the ones I'm associating with it at this time. And given everytime stuff gets leaked that feeling is enlarged... Drat. :( 

Oh great... I hope you were being sarcastic... That sounds like the utterly most poorly, disrespectful, etcetcetc plot I've ever heard.

Your plot in less words: Transformers are really crap machines. They don't have a personality. They're just stupid machines with some potential. Then the humans come. The humans help these helpless creatures develop a personality.

BLEGH. Sorry, but even the movie peops couldn't come up with a plot THAT bad.

10. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    This based on a script some 4 months out of date?

Yeah, I'm sure that will be REAL representative of a product just barely finished
    *Where is that damn rolls eyes emoticon?*

I'm not going to make any predictions based on stuff that will undoubtedly change, and until we actually see the film, we just don't know what extent the Transformer sections were changed

11. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Actually, I have it on good authority that the final cut of the film gives both Megatron and Starscream soliloques of Hamletesque proportions.

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Megatron:
    My fate cries out,
    And makes each petty artery in this body
    As hardy as the Nemean lion's nerve.
    Still am I call'd. Unhand me, gentlemen.
    By heaven, I'll make a ghost of him that lets me!
    I say, away! Go on; I'll follow thee.

Starscream:
    He waxes desperate with imagination.

Barricade:
    Let's follow; 'tis not fit thus to obey him.

Starscream:
    Have after. To what issue will this come?

Barricade:
    Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    a plague on both your alt modes! a plague!

14. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    Someone on Bay's site had a good quote: "just because it transforms does not make it a Transformer." To which one of the Bay mods replied something like, "yes it does, what else would Transformer be?" This is evidence that the crew just did not get it from the start. I was watching the David Wise interview on my Rhino Season 3/4 set the other day and he said that what made this such a great show, and the reason he loved doing it was because of the characters. He even said that it's not because they're machines, it's because they can think and feel, and no two of them are alike. Good evidence of this is the use of placeholder names for guys like Barricade and Brawl. The movie crew figured, well we can use any old TF name, it won't matter. When, in fact, it does matter. Demolisher, while a similar name to Devestator, is not the same guy. Starscream and Thundercracker may both be jets, but they very ledom act alike. I am afraid that they're relying on this "human element" to sell this movie, implying that TFs could not exist without humans. More than the designs, this is the one thing that troubles me about the movie. The crew never read a comic, never consulted fans on the way characters acted, and probably never watched a single episode of TF (G1 or otherwise). They saw it as a money-making device, loyalty to the franchise be damned.

Does this make me a hater? You can decide. I will still see go see Night at the Museum so that I can see the trailer, and I will still see the movie at least twice when it comes out. But I don't think that having artistic differences with the powers-that-be makes me a hater. I certainly haven't loved EVERY TF series (Energon, anyone?).

And if the old script has been altered, and the characters improved upon, it will only make the experience better.

15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Don't know if any of you realize, or actually remember the news article that was posted about this a while back, but the majority of the bot-to-bot script is written *AFTER* shooting, during post production. Mind you any lines done by the bots *can* be changed as they're still doing the CG work and don't seem to have their full cast of VAs. So the half year old script that doesn't really show any bot-to-bot interaction shouldn't be used as the end all be all of what will happen. It's more of a guideline with the details being done as we speak. And when it comes to personalities and character traits, it's all found in the details.

16. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Well to be fair Hasbro uses TFs as a money making device too. Hence why it's marketed to kids. Because they're where the profits are.

And that admin you mentioned is "technically" right, a robot that transforms is a Transformer. Just like Go-bots are Transformers, but yes something more is added to make the characters enjoyable.

And to be fair it's not right for you to judge in such an absolute manner that they never did research. And as I and other people have said it's dangerous to come to fans on such a matter. Fans can't really agree on anything, so if anything we'd have just confused them and most definitely given them conflicting info. Hell some people in the fandom can't even agree on a good series. And some people through their own biases downplay the other shows while elevating the other to a god-like level. This happens more often with G1, as such the majority of the fandom isn't objective enough to provide solid info. As some are VERY emotionally invested in this hobby.

And another point, the writer of Beast Machines wasn't a fan and did minimal research into Transformers. But yet Beast Machines was and still remains a solid series. Even if it took some people 10 years to realize it

No you're not a hater (at least not in my eyes)

You've stated you don't like it and you've very concisely explained why. Yet you've maintained maturity, haven't negatively labeled the fans who like 'em. And most importantly at least you haven't stooped to the level of some posters with their "questionable remarks/labels"

To me and possibly others, "haters" tend to be over the top with their negativity. And also tend to use flame-baiting remarks and such. It's why a lot of movie threads go down the wrong path. Because they don't watch how they post and just say what they want without thinking of how it comes across. For a prime example of a hater think of Cliffy B with that curse filled rant of his.

If other people expressed themselves like you just did BP, the movie threads would be friendlier. And the mods wouldn't be so hardcore about threads in the N&R forum. Which always goes down the craper because of flame-baiting remarks or even verbal attacks.

And to your credit you plan to see the movie (I assume without any preconceptions) so you're open to at least seeing the end result before casting judgement. And as long as you're open to possibly liking the movie, no one can ask more of you then that :) 

17. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Lacking personality.

That about sums up what I have felt about Bay's other films. Alot of his movies are visually stunning, but most of his characters have always seemed so 1-dimensional to me. I hope that this is not the case with the TF movie, but it has certainly been one of my bigger concerns. Between the designs and Bay's involvement, I am definitely taking a 'wait and see approach' on this one.

18. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

*COUGHS VERY LOUDLY*

Excuse you? :inquisiti 

¬_¬ Left fielded remarks? So you never make them? Riiiiight. Could you please explain how this remark is less worse than the one I made about you that got me locked out of a news threat? And you don't understand why you were being named?

Right.

19. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Actually i think that 'one dimensional charater' style fits TF's real well. The G1 bots were loved for their different and unique personality quirks, but in the end each one was very one dimensional. BB was the young, eager kid, Ironhide the rough, tough guy, Jazz the cool hipster, always jukin and jivin, rappin and rhymin, and Ratchet was the medic. Prime was a good, strong leader, and Megatron was a wiked, sneaky bastard.

Judging by the character types in his other films, Armaggedon stands out in my mind, I can see his 'one dimensional character' style working well in this movie.

20. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Just thought that this bears repeating.

That, and the script is probably out of date.