Customs: Lack of Paint Applications = Forcing Some to Paint?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Just a random thought I had and thought I'd engage you guys in discussion about it - do the lack of certain paint applications nearly force one's hand to paint them in?

Ok, before you completely dismiss the topic with something like, "Of course, we're Radicons! This is what we do!", consider the person who has never painted a Transformer (or any toy) and has very little refined artistic skills. Also consider that Hasbro discussed at Botcon 2007 during their Hasbro tour about the absence due to things like expense of added paint applications, how that falls into budgets, etc. At another Botcon, the issue of Classics Megatron came up about the colors necessarily used just in order to release the toy in the US market ("Well, we're sure some of you guys will paint him in the right colors!" [paraphrase]. Fast-forward to Generations Jazz. Recently, there has been an influx of customs posted where some have simply taken this figure and painted details such as the rims, grill, and brake lights.

Anyways, like I said, I just wanted to initiate a discussion with you guys about the topic here and see where it goes. Share your personal stories, post your thoughts and opinions, provide photos . . . . you get the picture :) 

2. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I don't know if it's necessarily forcing that many more but I'm sure there are more folks trying their luck at touchups. There have always been more and/or better paint apps with Takara releases, which makes some folks import rather than paint if it's a significant difference (Jazz being the most lacking in comparison of recent times). DeltaStar has also done a great job with their custom labels to cover a lot of those too.

So, I'm sure a Jazz set would come out with taillights, back window, Porsche/Martinii branding and more for an upgrade set that I think people may grab for $8 or so rather than attempt a crappy paint job. But I'm sure a lot of those already on the fence are trying some paint markers and whatnot. =)

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Maybe Hasbro are actively trying to encourage people into kitbashing. After all, we're the ones who buy multiple copies of a figure to turn into other characters... ;) 

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's a ploy from hasbro to get us to buy them JUST to paint them :inquisiti .... Like they are scouting for new talent.. I mean come on, if TOMMY can release the figures over there, and they are selling with the extra little paint apps, then why can't Hasbro. I mean it isn't like we WOULDN'T buy them.. Ok, if that's not paranoia, I don't know what is, :lol !!

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hasbro has discussed the budgeting concerns with additional paint applications. TakaraTOMY tend to spend a little more per figure to have the additional paint applications. Hasbro, on the other hand, has the goal of keeping deluxes at the $13 srp.

As far as kitbashing goes, Hasbro highly encourages the practice as evidenced with the Botcon Art Contest, where kitbashing is a category for competition each year. They also know that kitbashers buy multiples, as you said :) 

As far as "scouting for new talent", that would be a resounding "negative". Hasbro has their own process for their jobs and careers. While they do keep an active tab on the fan sites, they're not necessarily scouting by doing so.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was kinda of kidding :( . I remember the botcon tank table that they mentioned the training for the lack od paint applications. However, I never really thought of the arty contests as hasbro's way of showing support for painting up their figures, but it is definitely a valid point. Also, yes I realize they aren't scouting for talent like that, that's the part I was slightly kidding about, but hey, one can how right? :lol .

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I don't think they'd necessarily scout for talented kitbashers. Why? Because kitbashers take existing toys, and make something else out of them. To design a whole new toy is something else entirely. I'd be more inclined to believe they'd rather hire Venksta than FR, for instance, if only because there's a huge difference between kitbashers and 3d designers. (yes i realise you were kidding, but i'm expanding on the point anyways)

Also, really there's no way they can force you to do anything (obvious, i know). I think most of their target market (read: kids) couldn't care less. I remember when i was a kid i could hardly notice any missing apps, if notice at all. And some things just didn't matter to me (like Martini stuff on Jazz), because i didn't have the original, or just didn't know about the significance of said details. As for us slightly older people (well, maybe not me, but most grown up collectors), i don't think half of them would bother. Those that collect MISB, those that intend on resale, or those that just like to display them on ashelf wouldn't bother. Only those of us who frequent these websites would ever think of applying paint to a figure. And one must admit we aren't that many people. I'd say i'd be more inclined to blame the Radicon that does the most impressie job, for making me want to touch up mine. If i didn't know there could be better, i don't think i'd notice the problem.

TL;DR: Not really 'forcing' us. Though i like to blame Hasbro all the same. :lol 

8. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they were to take it to the logical conclusion they would release some of the toy moulds in kit form with a decal sheet and the disclaimer (some painting required.) If it means an end to the pin joints that are loose so be it.

A bit like the botcon customising class. If nothing else it would help get some unreleased moulds out there. I'd be up for building a transformer using screws and balljoints, it sounds fun.

FWIW I did paint some transformers before I became active on the boards, didn't do well until I got tips on how to do so from boards like this one.

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hehe, I gotcha! Tone of voice is sometimes hard to hear on a message board; thanks for the added clarity :) 

Oh, I wasn't kidding about Hasbro not surfing the boards to scout for talent. Also, my posts here are in response to the absurd comments that are often posted like "u shud work 4 Hasbro!". :lol 

Also, someone who works for Hasbro may not necessarily only work on the TRANSFORMERS brand. In fact, I'd think that to ensure one's career and place at a company like Hasbro, one would have be quite astute with all of their brands.

I think this is a very interesting angle of this discussion, and I'm inclined to agree with you mostly.

Just a personal gripe with me are the details such as the "Martini Racing" sponsors on G1 Jazz, as ONLY certain models of cars are used by the said racing team. There are several instances of things like this, and the nostalgia seems to override logic and truly being detail-oriented. But I digress . . . .

As far as "blame", that's only to say that if you do happen to notice that your RtS Jazz, for example, is missing brake lights, if you want em, they have to be painted in, as Hasbro left em out of course. Also, the presupposition here is that one who is collecting newer figures for a MiSB box collection doesn't have their hand forced at all, in any shape or form here :lol 

Oh man, for our newer figures to come with label sheets! I'd have my G1 nostalgia complete were that to ever happen!

Hasbro has very much encouraged the Art Contests at Botcon since it's became official. Also, you bring up a good point with the customizing class. I don't think that Fun Publications gets those unused sprues of Transformers toys by coincidence :) 

As for this board, I'm always glad to learn that things such as our Tutorials here are so helpful! It's the main reason they're resourced :)  I'm always on the prowl for new tutorials that'll help out more! /pun