Lack of High Moon Response

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Forceman4077, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Forceman4077

Forceman4077 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone else frustrated that all HM twitter feed is now is them just retwetting people saying the game is flawless, which it isn't good yes but not anywhere near gyto worthy, that it got great reviews, and to rate the game on metacritic.

People have been twetting asking about things like hacking, the DLC, game freezes, and the removal of colors and not a single response or even acknowledgement.

It's disappointing to see how good they were about listening and responding during the demo, but now that the game is out all they are doing is stroking their own egos.

2. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

They've done right by the fans in the past, developers can't always talk openly. I'm sure they're getting hundreds of emails complaining about each of those issues and they're likely to address them when they're ready and able to.

That's my kiss-ass response, sure I'm more than a bit upset about some issues (like having my colors robbed right out from under me) but I'm going to sit tight, the game hasn't even been out for a full week yet.

3. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    "Alright guys, we released this new game we've been slaving over for two years."

"It sucks!"

"Alright, you're right. Back to the drawing board. If anyone needs me, I'll be cutting my wrists."

If I sunk that much effort into something, the last thing I'd want to hear would be a fan bitching about how they don't know how to play right. Let them beam, they've done a great job as developers and Transformers fans. Yeah, there's gonna be criticism, and they will accept it. But being petulant isn't gonna get you any sort of admission of guilt.

4. Forceman4077

Forceman4077 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

But it would nice to see just the most basic of acknowledgements, like "We have herd you feedback about X, we are looking in to it".

5. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    They're not saying it sucks and hey don't want them to be guilty about it, they're identifying things that need fixing.
    As game developers, it is their job to recognize glitches and problems and get customer feedback. Especially considering on loading screens they actually TELL you to tell them about any problems you encounter.

6. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Yes, then I'll say they should give a response like "thank you for the feedback, we're looking into it."

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    They'll probably address the problems the same way they did in WFC. Hold multiplied-XP weekends to take people's minds off of it.

8. The Constructicon

If they up the XP for a weekend, everyone will hit prime in a day with the way it is now.

9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, but this reeks of bleeding heart goodie goodie shit.

If you're not willing to take criticism or any of that for a PRODUCT that you PAY MONEY for, then get out of the business. Get the fuck out of the business.

That's all I gotta say.

10. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    Did you actually look through the palette? I just found PERFECT Constructicon colors. Lime/Purple.

+1
    This. I'm sure they'll answer questions about why they removed colors and the DLCs and stuff when they're ready.

I see no way he says "O PORE HMS" like you're implying. What if you drew a big ingenious piece of art, of better quality than all the FOC concept art, and people asked why it didn't have many colors?

11. The Constructicon

Sadly, that's not true. Unless they added the lime and purple back since last night because there are other greens on the Decepticons but not Constructicon colors. There are bright greens and there are emerald greens but there's nothing that compares to the lime green that was taken away with the color update, the Autobots have a neon green that's fairly close though but it's not paired with purple.

12. GRIML0CK

GRIML0CK I despise Optimus Prime.

I'm fine with the colors, a little more wouldn't hurt. Like the Insecticon colors again.

13. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    It was heavily implied in Blindside's post. Dig through it. See how he says that we should let HMS be proud of their work, and how we shouldn't interfere with their pride and feeling of success over it. He didn't outright say it, but it's there in plain sight.

As for art...video games is a different medium than art. There is art in video games...but we're not going to gauge video games the same way we gauge art. Art, is almost totally, completely subjective. If Rob Liefeld, the WORST COMIC ARTIST WHO STILL HAS A JOB IN THE INDUSTRY can get a job, then it proves what I often say is that you can be a sub par artist, yet you can get lucky enough to land a job and keep it and potentially make millions. Oh, and somehow despite being awful people actually LIKE Liefeld.

Basically, I didn't elaborate my point at all. Development studios NEED to hear praise, criticism, AND people who are mad. Developers need to hear this, because this is all part of building data. Developers NEED good data to know how to better tune their game after launch, or to better build it in the development process.

When I hear praise for instance, I want to know what I am being praised about. What areas of my work are praise worthy? What am I known for? When I'm getting criticism, I want to know where my faults lie. We take criticism because as human beings, we are often blind to our own faults. That's just the nature of human psychology, so criticism is a very important step in the process of improvement.

That leaves us with the people who are mad. We tend to say...avoid them...but I say this without malice, that the people who tell developers not to listen to people who are mad don't understand what all goes into development and post-release tuning of a game. What do mad people have to offer? Think about this. A person who is mad about the game feels so invested in it that they feel the need to emote in an angry way. For this, HMS should try to explore WHY people are feeling mad. People getting mad shows that there is a possibility that an aspect of their game doesn't work, or doesn't work well enough and is causing frustration among a portion of the player base.

If HMS asked for a short survey detailing the experience that is causing people to get mad, then that is invaluable data for them, and it can help tremendously in taking steps to alleviate the frustration and anger that those parts of the game create. When people get emotional in a game, that's when developers REALLY NEED to listen, and listen very carefully about WHY they are getting emotional. Get into the details, isolate the issues and investigate. They shouldn't retreat back into their shell, because otherwise they could be missing out on some very good data that could help in the tuning of their game.

14. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Hell, criticize them all you want. I'm not white knighting them. I'm trying to explain why they're okay beaming about it for a bit before they address all the bugs.

15. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    The things is about responses to bugs, glitches, etc.....

Usually a company will not acknowledge something publicly without deciding first whether or not they are able to take care of it. That way, if they say they are going to look into a problem, then don't fix it, you won't have a bunch of angry customers wandering why they are inept.

I'd personally keep on sending them the info. They work on trends, and if they notice that there is a massive problem that keeps on being reported, they will focus on it.

16. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Generally companies have learned that if there isn't anything positive to say, then keep your mouth shut. Those times when companies do tend to bite them in the ass. I've seen it many times.

17. arren

arren Member

I"m not sure what you think High Moon can actually do for you in all these situations.

Hacking? They've tried their best to implement a system that prevents that, but you're gonna run into problems with cheating in any multiplayer game, especially on the PC.

DLC? That's a business thing. You really expect an Activision-owned company to blab about their DLC to some random entitled schmo on Twitter?

Game freezes? In which version? If it's the PC version, there's nothing they can do about it, because once again, they didn't handle the PC version. It was ported by a dedicated third party dev; you want answers, go to them. Hell, even if you're referring to the console version, there's not much HMS can do about that anyway.

Removal of colors? Really? Fall of Cybertron is not War For Cybertron. They've added so many more elements of customization to MP classes, and all you can complain about is how your robot isn't the correct shade of chartreuse?

The fact of the matter is this: High Moon Studios, despite being owned by Activision, is a ridiculously small videogame studio. Fall of Cybertron was developed on a budget smaller than that of WFC, with a significantly smaller team. It was never expected to be a AAA game. Believe me when I say the guys at HMS would absolutely love to support the FOC community as much as possible, as long as possible, but the resources just aren't there for that. By all means, still send feedback; they very much so read all of it. When the next Transformers game comes around, they will almost assuredly take all of the criticisms to heart and try their hardest to improve upon FOC.

18. The Constructicon

Yeah, Bethesda really was tight lipped about their PS3 woes. Took 'em MONTHS to even say a peep.

19. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Just suckle that High Moon teat. Nothing at all wrong with a company removing features from their product after releasing it. Maybe a level didn't come out how they hoped and people will just wake up tomorrow to find it gone too.

20. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just curious, but where did this info come from?