Lack of Autobot character development

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BDbots72, Jun 27, 2009.

1. BDbots72

BDbots72 Well-Known Member

The one thing I noticed about the first film is that every autobot did something cool or had something important to say.

-Prime & BB obviously played big roles in both films
    -Ironhide had a sick sequence in the first film and fought off 3 cons with ratchet
    -ratchet did a spining flip to cut off dev's arm and had some imperative/tachnical lines as well
    -Jazz had a sick transformation and while did not have as much screen time as ironhide or ratchet, he was always the defender of BB.
    -In addition you got to see the character with all the bots when then were communicating together

My beef...

This movie was about prime only and the rest of the bots were hidden in the shed.
    -sidewipe and ironhide both had awesome entrances, yet they were not developed any further

My biggest beef!!
    - in the final fight scene it should have been ironhide and company fighting off the cons and the humans.
    All they needed was a another combo autobot effort (1-2 minutes), one to one fight with ironhide (2 mins), a quick chase/shooting sequence with sidesipe and arcee (1 min) and like 10-20 shots lasting 5-10 seconds of the autobots simply shooting at stuff (1-2 minutes). Then the final fight scence would have been perfect. With and extra 5-7 mins as i have laid out, the film would have been perfect for me.

2. super mecha

super mecha Well-Known Member

Well when you have 1 million robots in the movie. Its hard to distribute the time evenly

3. BDbots72

well IMO the main bots should have been prime/BB of coarse, twins unfortunatly, but they could have made 4-5 more minutes for two bots.. ironhide and sideswipe, if they did i would have appreciated the film much more

4. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Is your beef nice?

5. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Yeah... I think the only ones that really developed were Prime, Jetfire and Starscream.

6. BDbots72

Wouldnt you like to know :p 

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think its also due to cost constraints but it was great to see Optimus in all the scenes he was in. Him in taking on the larger Demolisher in Shanghai, the forest battle and the final fight with the Fallen and Megatron.

8. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

God you stupid haters dont get itttt??!!?1/1?1!?!?!!?1/1//!?1?!!!1//

Bay couldnt giv mor time for da robots cuz he needed to make time 4 da funny things like Sams mum geting stoned.

9. BDbots72

Well im definetly not a hater, i just really only had one complaint about the film. Its suppose to be the autobots, not Prime and BB show everyone else up.

10. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Yeah dude

Scene with Sam's mum getting stoned > Characterization

11. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Fighting isn't character development. Don't tell Michael Bay.

12. vincheng2k5

vincheng2k5 Ratchet made me premed

Thank you for making a thread about this!

I hope Michael Bay and the writers realize that, while more robot action is great, we didn't mean for it to come at the expense of any character development. I was surprised that the Autobots exhibited more personality in the first film, and that's just sad.

Remember when many of us loved the first movie but wanted more robot time? We got robot time, but no robot personalities...and if we don't ever get to know who these characters are, we don't care if they live or die and all the excitement is taken out of the battles. You can practically watch ROTF with the sound off since it's just visual spectacle.

I say this constructively with the hopes that the cast and crew will take our feedback into consideration when making the third, and possibly last, movie.