Kutaragi no longer President of Sony Games and possibly the end of the Playstation

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omega Supreme-1, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Deleting Content of Post

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wanna say this is kneejerk doomsaying, but given the sordid and depressing history of the Sony Clie PDAs...won't be surprised if there's no PS4.

That said, a PS4 would be like a decade off anyway, so I doubt the PS3'll have anything less than several years of supported life as a gaming console.

3. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

...DAMN.

I'm of two minds about this.

In some ways, I'm glad Sony is getting their ass handed to them. They've been (Some would say justifiably) arrogant in their predictions based on the PS and PS2's performance. Being cut down a peg could have taught them a lesson in quality assurance and giving the customer what he wants, not attempting to dictate to the customer what he needs.

On the other hand, I dont want them to fail to the point they're out of the hardware market all together. Competition is a good thing. I dont want any future X-box consoles to be a monolithic platform like the PS essentially was for the longest time.

4. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sony's last two consoles were a success, and it's yet to be determined if the PS3 is a success or not. Even if it is a failure, Sony made too much money from the first two to just give up.

I could see them entering some sort of alliance with annother company if the PS3 *DOES* flop however. The successor to the PS3 may not have the number 4 in it's name, but the brand is so well known, it's likely to still have Playstation in the name.

5. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I just don't see Sony backing out of hardware completely. Having a game console is huge for their name brand and I doubt they want to give it up or the profit it brings. Having new guy at the top will hopefully address the QC and the price issues that may be the bane of PS3 if they don't fix it soon but I still want Sony around for the competition it brings to the console market. I am glad I pick Wii this time after picking PS1 & 2 before. It's the best time to go back to Nintendo right now.

6. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll be one of the first to say Sony was extremely arrogant with their launch strategy. That being said it is still to early to say if the console as a whole is a success or not. It'll take at least a year to determine whether the PS3 was worth it.

The PS3 is hardly profitable given the losses they take on every unit. Everyone in the industry will tell you its the software that make the profit, and what makes the hardware losses worth it.

7. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

We saw the writing on the wall. The PS3 (and PSP to some extent) has been a series of mistakes. Omega Supreme has detailed those mistakes, so I won't go into them. These are my two predictions though.

Best Case Scenario for Sony
    -They quickly resolve manufacturing issues and capture sizeable marketshare but their marketshare won't be as large as its been in the past. I'd say at most, 33% of marketshare of all next gen consoles. They'll lose a lot of exclusives and even worse, the Wii and 360 will get more exclusives. The machine is too expensive and difficult to develop for. And too expensive to buy. If you can find it on the shelf.

Worst Case Scenario for Sony
    -It takes Sony toooo long to resolve manufacturing issues, thus, they can never grab a sizeable marketshare (less then 10%). Game developers jump ship. The PS3 struggles to get games. Sony calls it quit by December of 2007.

Those are my 2 cents.

8. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

You know. either way I don't really care. I like to have all the game systems at one point, but I'm not a rabid fanboy one way or another. Although it would be sad that PS could die, I don't see it happening. Also, I keep noticing, when there is a "Bad Sony" thread posted, Omega Supreme1 is usually the author. Do you have something personally against Sony? Like did they steal your girlfriend in highschool or stab you in the back for that promotion at work, and from that day on you decided to sully their name on message boards?

9. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

This article makes me lol.
    If Sony sucked so hard at making consoles why did they apparently come out on top last time two times around?
    What's this bullshit about frozen PS3's as well? I remember plenty of problems with the X-Box and I've walked into shops to find 360's all screwed up as well.
    Imminent failure of the PS3? It's been out for what, two weeks in the states? Imminent failure my ass.
    Why does the promotion of this new fellow signify a shift to software development? I've never heard of the dude before but because some other guy I've never heard of says so Sony are going to drop manufacturing hardware. What?
    That article stinks of someone having a mad hate for Sony. Nintendo fucked up bad the last two times around but no one has written them off and like I said Microsoft have had a good deal of QC issues.

10. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Deleting Content of Post

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Does this mean I can't play Kutaragi Damacy anymore? :cry 

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I was going to ask if the ball rolls up console industry bullshit, but then I realised that it would be bigger then the earth by now.

13. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Anyone else get this feeling..?

[​IMG]

14. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I'm a proud Nintendo fanboy, so I can't deny this article makes me want to do the Snoopy dance.

But the whole thing smells like so much bullshit.

An unsuccessful launch for the PS3? OK, it's got problems, and we all know them, but they have sold out and stolen almost all the headlines away from the Wii and 360. Honestly, the last successful launch that I remember was the Dreamcast, and we all know how that ended up.

And as for the software being Sony's strength - since when? Sega and Nintendo could give you a list of popular, quality franchises the length of your arm. MS and Sony? Not as I understand it**. With few exceptions, their biggest selling and best quality titles have been third party.

Furthermore, weren't there a few stories in the past couple of years which reported that the only reason Sony was turning a profit was because of the PS2? And wasn't the whole point of the Playstation series (and XBox after it) to serve as a Trojan horse, through which Sony could sneak in and dominate the all-encompasing Home Entertainment market? They are 1, maybe 2 generations away from realizing the vision of the all-encompasing entertainment console. Why the hell would they stop now?

**again - Nintendo fanboy here, so I may be completely wrong.

15. misterd

Hard to do when all they make is consoles and games, and have been turning in substantial profits for years.

16. misterd

But having the hardware makes the software market more lucrative. Not only do you get sales from your own titles, but also from the sales of other games as well due to licensing fees. Plus it strenthens the "name brand" in a way that you usually don't get just from being a game developer, and for Sony, that could mean the PS fanbase steering sales towards other Sony products.

Also, doesn't Sony get money for the BluRay sales as well? Thanks to the PS3, the number of BR players sitting in living rooms jumped dramatically last week, and that should serve to boost the sales of BRDVDs.

17. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Yeah I'm sure some of you are expecting to see me jump up and down and dance a jig. And yes inside me there is a hardcore Nintendo Loyalist making a little "SQUEEEEEE" at the idea.

But to be realistic. If there is no PS4 it would probably be better for the industry. yes I do want to see Sony out of the gaming industry, but I don't want the whole company to go under. using the PS3 to bet the farm on blu ray is something that could threaten to do that. Even if I don't like Sony's products due to their shoddy manufacturing quality, the company its self is vital to the US and Japense economies.

What I'd like to see.

No PS4 Leave the consoles to Nintendo and Microsoft (and perhapse leave room for a newcomer)
    Sony either gives up on blu ray or makes an honest effort toward a Blu Ray HD-DVD hybrid. Two competing formats for the same market just doesn't work. Didn't work with beta vs VHS won't work with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.
    Pulls out of the portable gaming market and focuses on portable computing instead such as PDAs, notebooks, MP3 players, phones and other such gadgets.
    The PSP shows that sony wants to make gadgets so they should play to their strengths.
    Spend a little money on QC.

Though that's wishful thinking. I'm not entirely sure this article is genuine.

18. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

That's even more of a case to write them off. All they do is games yet they got shafted by Sony and Microsoft the last two times around, both of whom where complete newcomers to making consoles and games. I certainly wouldn't be holding out much hope for an industry giant that falls to total newbies.
    I'm glad they didn't go though. I find myself oddly attracted to the Wii after seeing the Zelda ad on tv.

19. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Okay. Time for a light touch reality.

Nintendo was never bleeding money hand over fist like Sony is right now. Sony is hurting badly financially.

I highly doubt that Nintendo took a massive loss on each N64 sold.

and Sony built up its fame and PS2 glory days on the backs of the 3rd party developers. Nintendo only has/had to rely on its own first party games to sell systems. Almost all 3rd parties have no real loyalty to a specific brand, they'll ditch Sony just like they ditched Nintendo.

So, no. The situation is not all that similar.

That being said. I highly doubt there will be a PS4 now. Kinda sad, but as a Nintendo fan, I was getting sick of all the cool console games going to PlayStation. (Im also a big fan of PC gaming, so Xbox didn't annoy me too much)

20. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's just a structural shift. Nothing more. Kuturagi is now the CEO of SOny Computer Entertainment and Hirai is now the COO. Kuturagi oversees the whole shebang and Hirai runs the day to day operations. This is not unusual for major companies. Whether some of us like it or not, Sony is here to stay. And God forbid the video game industry loses a major player. Ever heard of EA and exclusivity? Yeah...it'd kinda be like that.