Kurtzman and Orci weren't thrilled with the Twins.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by protocida, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. protocida

protocida Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Apparently...

2. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    rofl

3. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Must suck for those two being attached to such a poorly slapped together movie like this.

As an aspiring writer myself this kind of story scares the hell out of me. I dream that one of my scripts makes it someday but not at the cost of quality.

4. protocida

protocida Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In your opinion, that is.

5. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    No, Kurtzman and Orci are the writers for Transformers: ROTF so what they say weighs in a little more than most opinions out there.

6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    the movie might have made lots of money and Bay's riding the waves here, but in the end.... this kind of stuff does hurt Orci & Kurtzman's reps as screenwriters.

7. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

I think alot of the people who are defending The Twins will eventually come around and realise how dumb and borderline racist the characters are. I'm sure people thought the crows in Dumbo were funny back then too...

8. Gozer-Bot

Gozer-Bot Banned

But but but things that aren't human can't be racist!

9. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    when they've got the highly successful and critically acclaimed Star Trek on their back I really don't think it's going to hurt them, especially if they are continuing with both franchises.... I'd imagine there's a lot more 'Yes men' and Hasbro/Tomy executives (and Bay) to deal with on TF.... could be a difficult job pleasing everyone and trying to do something artistic.

10. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I don't think Hasbro - and even company execs - are going to insist on over the top obscene comedy. Bay, took the script and ran with it in his way like a chaotic dictator.

11. butz

butz slippery when wet

There is a distinction though. The Twins have a lot of design elements that are often associated with racial stereotypes, but I really don't think it was Bay's plan to say "this is what black people would be if they were robots". I just think he has a really limited perspective on things, said "it'll be funny if they are dumb and act like they think they're thugs" and narrowmindedly didn't realize people would take offense.
    The crows in Dumbo, on the other hand, were designed with the intent of saying "if black people were another animal, this is what they'd be". Not just all the mannerisms, but the fact that they were black birds, and the clear allusion to Jim Crow, which would've been particularly obvious back then.
    It was kinda thoughtless and insensitive on Bay's part, but it just doesn't seem deliberate, unlike the crows.

By the way, how come nobody is crying racism about the black guy in the deli with the fucked-up teeth? That made me feel a hell of a lot more uncomfortable than I did with the Twins. That was actually an instance of them saying "this is a real person, and there are people like this".

12. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a couple of questions.

1) Were there a lot of screams of racism when Forrest Gump came out?

2) Can Bumblebee read?

3) If the twins are black stereotypes then what are the other robots?

13. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't believe people complain about the twins but never noticed Swindle's jewish attitude!

14. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Hey can we have a contest with a 50 dollar prize to write Kurtz and Orci and tell them what A holes they are for not liking the twins which they wrote kinda in the movie they kinda wrote sorta.???????????????????????

So now that the writers have admited its a tinge on the racist side of things what does that say about Bay.????????????? anyone anyone

15. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

True - I will concede that point.

But even if Bay did not mean to offend, I still think he should have known better. And the people surrounding him should have had the balls to say "Hey Michael, this may not go over well and it's a dumb risk to take just to make a few kids laugh" - and if they did, then Bay should have had the sense to listen to them.

Oh God, I forgot about that. It's like I completely blocked it out of my mind. That whole scene is terrible. A few Jew jokes in there as well... it's like they were doing on purpose to see how many awful stereotypical caricatures they could cram into one movie... one movie about robots.

16. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Dear Turdz and Orca. I cant beleeve you don't lik whut is probably teh funiest characters in the hole movie. It is just a dem..deamo..... demun... it shows you are old and don't know what people like. How does $600 Milliun sound jerks>? It sound like people know what they like. You shud really listen to us fans. ALL OF US LOVED THIS MOVIE! I can't beleeve that you are so out of tuch with the fans that you can right this kind of crap in your rtical. I will tell you one more time so your old fat and dumb brains can get it in there

ROTF and by extension the Twins is:
    :bay  :bay  :bay 

P>S> DEVIS BALLS :bay 

do I win?

17. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

i understand the points brought up, but if we keep this up the only movies that can be made are silent films with stick figures that are all in the shade of gray, so as not to anger or offend anyone...

18. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Bay was responsible for including his input for the script, but mostly action scenes, as far as I know. Maybe next time, character development would be strong.
    And by the way, the Twins are not illetirate, they just are not capable of reading ancient language of the Prime's, I'm sure that was easy to understand in the film.

"CONSTRUCTICONS FOR TF3!!"

19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Except for people that hate silent films, stick figures, and the color gray.

20. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I certainly won't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.