Customs: Krylon Spray paint questions..

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jeremy.B, May 2, 2008.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just started working on a project using, for the first time, Krylon spray paint. Multiple, thin coats, and I love it! Using one can of Fusion and one can of Metallic. My question is how long does it take to dry - I started on Tuesday, and it is still kinda gritty, but looks phenomenal. Should I apply any kind of clear coat as well? Any advice would be appreciated!
    Jeremy

2. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

In my experience (which is somewhat limited) appearance-wise, it's probably not going change appearance. In order to fully cure for hardness, I think the can suggestion is a week?... I remember that after using it, I found the instructions on the can are actually very accurate, especially the windows of time where you can apply 2nd coats!

Others have more experience with fusion though I'm sure

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Takes like 30 minutes t be dry enough to touch but it can still leave fingerprints and crap, I usually apply 3 super thin coats at about 10min intervals and let it dry for an hour or two before I flip and do the other side. Clear coats up to you, when it is completely cured (7 Days) it is pretty tough but I normally either use a can of Testors dull coat or Future floor polish to finish it off anyways.

4. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Thanks. I cannot believe I missed that. I will leave them all til next week before I begin reassembling it.

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Really depends on the climate. With 2%-10% here in southern Cali....Mine is sometimes dry enough to flip to the other side in less than 3 minutes. Sometimes, with the sun beating on it a few seconds (no joke) the hot plastic and direct sunlight provide an awesome finish too.

6. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Thanks FR...man just checked out your gallery the other day and your customs are sick. Especially that smokescreen.

In alabama, our humidity is generally pretty high. Today it is about %50. Yea. I am giving it a week, besides I got other stuff to do.

7. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

poo poo on fusion but thats just me. every one else seems to love it. anyways dito on the can instuctions

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    hnmm, spray paint MADE for plastic. What's not to like about that?

9. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i had to go spray some to remeber why. why because it leaves something like orange peel on a micro scale. after spraying it again i relized it will be fine for the bot parts but if you want a smooth as glass finish its not so great.