Customs: Krylon paint for plastic

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ruination04, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw a commercial on tv yesterday for Krylon paint. It say it bonds to plastic without needing primer or anything. I know next to nothing about paint figures, so would this be a good choice for repainting figures? Has anyone tried these paints? I was gonna go with those Tamiya paints until I saw this commercial.

2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I have, they work really well. Plowking is your man to ask about Fusion

3. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Tamiya is great paint, too. Krylon Fusion is limited in colors, especially if you're looking for ones with flat or satin finishes, but after fully curing (a week of dry time) the stuff is INCREDIBLY strong. The "bonds to plastic" thing is no bull!

Keep in mind that there are windows for repainting/touch ups, and if you don't paint within those windows you'll get what looks like "spider-veins" on the paint surface. Either re-coat within the first 24 hours, or let it fully cure and then re-coat. It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but worth the extra time.

4. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:

:D ...thanks bud :thumb 

I love Fusion!.....their colors are limited, but the stuff works great....and yes its true, no primer is needed....there is an ingredient in Fusion that makes it bond to plastic...its the same ingredient thats found in plastic cement/glue....

All you have to do is remove all factory paint apps...

Alcohol works good for this...

TTT found that 90% and higher works really fast, and wont harm plastic either..you can do it with regualr 70%...just may take some time is all...

Wash your parts to be painted in warm soapy water, let them dry, and start painting....just make sure you follow the "recoat" instructions on the can and you're good to go

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Actually, if you want more permanent results, do what the can says "For New or Unweathered Surfaces: Quickly wipe over surface with standard paint thinner"

That will break down the protective coating the manufacturer put on, and makes the surface more abrasive to sponge in the paint.

on a side note, it's funny how so many acrylic users sware by fusion...

6. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Active Member

I think it's "swear at Fusion" judging by past posts,or is that just Sonray?:wink: 

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    hehe. It is good stuff though.

one more thing I'd recommend, it doing 2 thin coats, then let an hour go by. Then sand the surface with 400-600 grit sand paper, until the shear (gloss) is gone, but the plastic remains the color you're aiming for (don't sand the paint off, you're just resurfacing the paint)

...then hit with a thick final coat about 8 inches from the surface. You'll end up with a super high gloss.

8. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I swear by Krylon Fusion for painting Alts!