Customs: Krylon Fusion

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rodimus, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

How durable is this stuff? Has it ever been known to chip with numerous transformations and play? Is it as durable as Vinyl paint and Dye?

I'm thinking about getting some.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    nothing is more durable than dye man. Dye is INSIDE the plastic. Krylon is one of the most durable paints for a TF, but as with ANY paint, it'll chip if you're not careful, its just more robust than most others out there. I use krylon as much as I can if its something I can't dye first.

3. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    what kind of dye do you use?

4. Rodimus

Rit Dye is the most common here from what I've read.

I've also heard some people say they don't like dye though because it's too much of a hassle and some have said they didn't get the color it was supposed too.

Redline, I'm even looking at the shin guards on your Megatron in your sig and it seems they are a bit more pail then the back part of the legs. The shin guards also seem to have a slight redish tint in them.

Makes me fear the RIT dye I bought from the negative reviews I've read.

5. REDLINE

News Credits:
    the final color will be affected by the starting color. you can't use it all the time. like I said, I look to see if its plausible to dye a piece first. If I don't think it is, then I'll use paint. I prefer dye if possible because that won't limit the number of transformations before inevitible wear.

6. Rodimus

Did the heat warp the plastic any?

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Do you know if Classics BB is a mold that should be painted or dyed. I'm thinking of doing a kitbash of him, and the main body color will be brown, but I can't figure out if I should paint him or dye him. Other than the brown, I plan on adding some black and blue details to him, but those will most likely be painted on. Also, do you clear coat a figure after dyeing it? I wasn't sure if you did or not, but I'll clear coat it for the painted details anyways. Peace out.

8. Rodimus

Redline is the man! Bye the way, you know, Red.. you're quickly becomming one of my absolute favorite posters. :) 

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I usually do but only because it ends up with paint aps to detail it after the dye. you can dye most of BB, but you won't be able to the roof cause that's a hard dense transparent plastic.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks. I'm going to paint all of him then, so that I can get a nice even coloring. One more thing. When stripping paint from a TF, does the stripping material harm the clear plastic used for eyes, windsheilds, etc. ? I'm going to need to find a Beast Wars toy for this project, since I'm basing this repaint off of my vary first Transformer's toy. It's going to be like the Botcon Exclusive figures, a Pre-Beast mode. I've got to get working on my Armorhide into Prime first though, so this one is going to be in the planning stages for a little while. Peace out.

11. REDLINE

News Credits:
    91% isopropyl alcohol works most of the time.

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I've heard that it does work, but all I really need to know is if it will cloud up or do something to damage the clear plastic on classics BB or not. Thanks for the help. Redline you are awesome. Peace out.

13. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

91% Isopropyl alcohol works fine, and methanol (usually sold as Denatured Alcohol) works a bit faster. Neither of these products will damage the plastic. Do not use Acetone, as it WILL dissolve/fog/cloud the plastic.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok, thanks. I wanted to make sure that the clear plastic would be ok if I used it, so I wouldn't ruin a BB. I need to get my Prime kitbash finished before I can start this one, and I've got some stuff to bye for it anyways. Thanks for the help. Peace out.