Customs: Krylon Fusion not sticking for a damn?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by FartRipper67, Jan 10, 2010.

1. FartRipper67

FartRipper67 Well-Known Member

I'm working on a Universe Treadbolt repaint, repainting the whole thing black and purple.

I used black Krylon Fusion for the base coat on everything, after full dis-assembly and a thorough wash with soap and water. Full week cure time.

On the main jet body and the shoulder / thigh pieces I literally have to go to town with my x-acto knife to scratch the stuff, so that's good to go.

But, on the nosecone assembly, his little chest flap doodad, and the hands the paint simply doesn't stick at all. A light brush with a fingernail and the stuff comes crumbling off. Testors arcylics stick better than this :|

Any insight why these certain parts simply don't want to hold the paint? My prep process was identical on everything. :redface2: 

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Those parts are a denser plastic that the ketones in fusion have no effect on, so it will just flake off. Same problem arised from using vinyl dyes.

The best you could do is to dye them black using a hot water bath method.

3. FartRipper67

FartRipper67 Well-Known Member

Ah I see. That makes sense.

Thanks for the reply :D 

4. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You may want to try to sand it a little bit
    Take like 1000 of 1500 and wet sand it. It will give the paint something to attach to.

Wwhen I use legos they are a real bitch to paint. Bionicle are the worst. So if I do have to use them I sand them first then prime them then paint them. It seems to work for me.