Customs: Krylon Fusion Camouflage (base coat)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deathonacracker, Aug 12, 2009.

1. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    is this a good base coat for customizing? Someone suggested to use this as my base coat and wanted to triple check.

Also, after a bast coat is applied and is fully dry, is there any more prep work before starting the main paint coats? i looked at the basic tutorial but again, wanted any other suggestions.

thanks!

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

i havnt used this personally, but i heard that it is some of the best primer to use.

and other than sanding down tight rubbing areas before priming the figure, you should be good to go

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I've used it a few times. It's great. The coverage is good and it's very durable. I use the black myself. Frenzy_Rumble uses it (or used it) for his customs. In fact, he was perhaps the first to introduce us to the stuff.

4. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is what I use for my customs. The only thing to be weary of is the weather. Here where I am tends to be humid out. Base coat them on a really warm or hot ,dry day.

There are ready to be handled in ten minutes but I leave them in the sun for about 30 and at least let them sit over night to give it a good cure time. But once this stuff dries fully it would take a bomb to get it off.

5. Satomiblood

Is it humid in Autobot City?

Also, Krylon Camo is good to handle/recoat in about 15 minutes.

6. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is great stuff, but I have found an even better alternitive.... Rustoleum Primer for Plastics, or Self-Etching primer. Both of these actually "bite" into the plastic on a chemical level and become a part of the plastic. I feel they go on a bit smoother as well.... but the Krylon does work well.

7. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And it doesn't harm the plastic at all? What about soft plastic like ROTF megatron's murder arm tips and blade?

8. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You gotta be careful with any soft/bendy plastic. tape that off and use acrylics for those parts. You'd have to test to be sure, but most spraypaints or enamels will eat up those soft bendy bits.

Also I use krylon camo for basecoats, and it works incredibly well, but I've had a few minor issues with it not sticking to certain plastic. All those issues went away when I used paint thinner on the base figure to remove all the mold release. another frenzy_rumble tip.

9. blacklion29

blacklion29 Merlion Gestalt

Ebay:
    i used krylon fusion flat black. i was disappointed because of the rough texture it leaves and it takes time to wet sand it to have a smooth texture. i recently bought mr surfacer but i haven'y tried it yet.

10. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

I second (or third...whatever!) the paint thinner tip; it makes all the difference!

11. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So you guys dont use a primer?

12. Satomiblood

13. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From there website

This ultra-flat paint is non-reflective to provide the ultimate camouflage.

Bonds to most plastics
    No sanding, no priming
    Ideal for sporting and hunting equipment, decoys and more
    Fast dry; fully chip-resistant after 7 days
    Dry to Touch
    15 minutes or less
    Dry to Handle
    1 hour
    For use with
    Wood, Metal, Wicker, Wrought Iron, Plastic, Hard Vinyl, Glass, Plaster, Ceramic, Paper, Paper Mache.
    Find MSDS
    Surface Preparation

14. Satomiblood

I did catch that on the website, but it's also used as a primer. frenzy_rumble, who first brought it to our attention last year, has primed numerous customs with it (click the link in my previous post).

I've also used it as such and it works.

15. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I did check that tread, still kind of new to the custom thing so I really have no clue whats going on.
    But from what I'm reading you use it as a primer but can also be used as the base coat I think.

16. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I finally got the chance to use this stuff to and it's really great. I bought it after F_R mentioned it but I haven't had the chance to do anything with it until now.

It goes on really smooth and with little/no effort. Depending on how well the Testors acrylic that's going to go over it holds up, this will definitely be in my arsenal. Much easier than having to clean up my airbrush. =)

Attached Files:

• pic1.jpg
      pic1.jpg
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
  17. Heracles Max

Heracles Max Forticon Leader

I would recommend testing the top coat paint on the Fusion camo if you can. I have used the flat black when modifying Nerf guns. The Fusion worked great. I am sure other Fusion paint would work well on it. However, I used Kustom Kolor paint over it and it crackled. It was clean, good temperature and humidity. Not happy with it, but, I figure I will push the weathered treatment now. Sounds like it probably works fine with Testors and other similar paints.

Good luck! :)