Kreo Sideswipe Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Transformers Kre O Sideswipe Review

I was tempted to buy Transformers Kre-O sets, but at the same time skeptical. The 1st things I heard were encouraging: substantially higher quality than Megabloks, fun Kre-ons, et al. Just by looks I already knew these blew away the BTR sets from years back. Man can you believe it's been that long since BTR? The Armada years flew by!

In any case, the set I was looking forward to was Sideswipe. From the images, it looked like he had the most noticeable weapon, and he looked awesome. Not really movie verse, not exactly G1, he seemed to be a mix of G2, G1, and his Alternator/Binaltech incarnation.

I was surprised to see this set for $20. Actually for nearly all of the sets, I was surprised at the prices when I saw them in person. Seeing them in person made all the difference. Before, I thought these were too pricey, until I realized how big they were. Even moreso in one particular mode.

So how did Sideswipe turn out? Read on....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Kreons

The Kreons seemed to ignite excitement in the fandom from the moment they were revealed months back. I had my doubts though. See, I'm used to minimates, small block-construction figures which while small, have plenty of articulation.

Things changed once I got the Kreons out of the box. Since they're smaller than minimates, I'm not too surprised nor disappointed that they just have basic articulation. Yet this basic articulation surpasses that of Lego minifigures. The heads can swivel, same with the wrists, and even the waist. Shoulders and legs are on ball joints.

Now what was upsetting, was the the stress marks. Behind the legs I could see stress marks around the ball joints, and on the human guy's hand too. I think the accessory handles/pegs might be too big for these figures. Luckily nothing has cracked yet.

Another issue is the helmet for Sideswipe, it's hard to remove.

Aside from that, the Kreons are plenty of fun. I've seen many fans suggest that Hasbro ought to blindbag/box these things like how Lego and Megabloks does for their minifigures. I'm down with that!

What I found cool was the fact that these figures came with a parts tree of weapons/accessories. This wasn't documented on the box so I was pretty surprised. Included are a
    • Pistol
    • Walkie talkie
    • Sniper rifle
    • Toolbox(can't open)
    • handcuffs
    The Kreons are cool and I'd love to see multipacks.

Attached Files:

3. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Sideswipe Car Mode

Sideswipe Car Mode

It took roughly an hour to build Sideswipe in car mode. Construction went fairly smoothly, therapeutic even. However, there were some snags, as some of the steps were confusing. The manual shows the pieces at an angle and with some pieces overlapped, it can get confusing trying to determine where the bricks should connect, especially towards the front of the car.

I wasn't scratching my head for too long thankfully. Definitely take your time building this set and also build it on a flat surface. The parts are in 3 bags but not organized in a way, where 1 bag has all the parts needed for 1 section. All the parts you need are scattered within the bags.

Attached Files:

4. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Sideswipe Car Mode(Continued)

After the build is done, what we're left with is a compact car. It has an impressive amount of detail. However I would have liked more, like an opening hood, engine compartment, et al.

The doors open however it's easier to seat the Kreons by removing the roof and placing them in vertically. The wheels roll freely, save for one which had some resistance. Not sure why, but it was pushed in all the way. It will still roll, but not as smoothly as the others.

One thing I did not like outright, was the sticker sheet. Some of you who have read my reviews before at HISStank, know that I do not like paper stickers. I prefer stickers with clear plastic backing. They tend to stick substantially better and are less prone to peeling. Paper stickers look and feel cheap.

There aren't much stickers included, the sticker sheet is small. You could do without it, but it does add some neat details, like the Autobot symbol and Sideswipe license plates.

After the build is done, you're left with a few leftover bricks. More than what is usually left over from Lego kits.

Attached Files:

5. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Sideswipe Robot Mode

Sideswipe Robot Mode

Robot mode was the mode I was looking forward to the most. Why? It resonated with me, it caught my eye the minute I saw the CG on the box. Reminded me of G1 and G2 Sideswipe with that head sculpt, with no hint of movieverse at all. I like movie Sideswipe but it's cool to see a Sideswipe reminiscent of what we're familiar with.

You may notice differences with some my build here. This is because if you build the robot mode according to the instructions, his forearm guards/shields will rest at an angle, not flush to the forearm. I also placed the windows on as chest windows, they give the robot mode a sense of depth.

I also placed the driver seat behind the head, so that I could have Kreon Sideswipe sitting behind it, as if he is controlling...himself. I think this increases fun/playability. It gives off an Action Master vibe. Doing this however, hinders head/neck articulation a lot, as there isn't much room to move with the seat in the way.

The head sculpt looks cool, and is made out of PVC. Due to that, the paint apps come off as "soft" moreso than crisp.

Articulation is good, the ball joints are coated with rubber. The figure is a bit top heavy so it did take a while to balance him, and prevent him from toppling over. The rubber joints ensure that the joints hold their position(aside from balancing issues when the robot is standing). However I'm worried, because I fear that the rubber will eventually wear down.

Perhaps rubber coating was added to ensure joint tightness. Perhaps it was added to ensure that the joints wouldn't break. I started casually building Bionicle and Hero Factory kits last year. Going in, I read that some Bionicle kits were prone to joint cracking, whereas the problem had pretty much resolved in Hero Factory. None of the Bionicle kits I built had rubber coating on the ball joints, just hard plastic on hard plastic connections.

Sideswipe pretty much has full articulation. The ankles are placed in a somewhat awkward position(out more), but they do help stabilize his stances. The bot mode is substantially bigger than I thought it was. 1 look at the size and I felt that this set was truly worth the $20 I paid for it. It's about the size of an ultra class Transformer. Joints include:
    • Ball jointed head(limited)
    • Ball jointed shoulders
    • Ball jointed elbows
    • Swivel wrists(hindered on left arm)
    • Ball jointed hips
    • Ball jointed knees(limited, sides of knees prevent swivel movement to the side)
    • Ball jointed ankles
    I know some of you are buying these sets for the Kreons and vehicle molds. However, I think Sideswipe's full potential and the highlight of this set, is in his robot mode. He also has the biggest gun of the 1st wave of Kre O Transformers. The others, like Bumblebee and Prime, look like they just have a brick pistol. Megatron just has a small shoulder mounted cannon. This is where the extra leftover parts come in handy.

A few parts are left over after the build, again, more than what's left over after building a Lego set. Like the car mode, it took me about an hour to build the robot mode.

Attached Files:

6. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Sideswipe Kreo Review Conclusion

Conclusion

So $20+ tax spent, and an hour each spent per building each mode later, what do I think of the set? I like it and recommend it. Now some of you may know that prior to buying this set, I was disappointed that these sets can't transform.

I still am. However, maybe in the future, as the design team gets their feet wet more, transforming sets will enter the line. Some of you have mentioned that the reason these blow away BTR, is because their looks aren't compromised by the necessity to transform. Perhaps that's true. After building this set, I think transformation wouldn't be good unless substantially more parts were included, which would increase the price. I'm pretty much picking and choosing which modes I will keep the sets in. For most of the Transformers sets, I'm keeping them in bot mode. The exception being Starscream because he looks better in jet mode.

I doubt I will ever rebuild Sideswipe as a car. The only reason I built him in car mode, was for the sake of this review and to see if it was neat. It is, but bot mode is much more fun.

I wish a cockpit for the Kreons was designed for this. To me, that would make the kit more fun, and push the interaction of Kreons with the Kre-O sets.

One thing I should mention, is that these Kre-O sets blow away the official Lego Exo-Force sets from a few years back. I remember looking at those sets hoping they would turn out cool as time progressed, only to realize I was hoping for something that wouldn't happen. So Hasbro has not only outdone their previous efforts with BTR, but also surpassed Lego when it comes to making robot construction sets.

I had my doubts about Kre O, mixed feelings. I saw some potential but knew BTR didn't turn out well, and that there are already established brick building companies out there. Hasbro's second stab at brick/construction sets turned out well, and I am impressed.

One more thing. The playability, with Kreons and vehicle molds led me to make the following conclusion:

Kre O lends itself very well to GI Joe and Hasbro will miss an ample/huge opportunity if they do not make GI Joe Kre O sets and Kreons

Attached Files:

7. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Very nice review! I was actually on the fence about Sideswipe, as the pics I'd seen of his robot mode were not particularly impressive. However, I can see with the proper posing and modifications to the arms he actually looks quite excellent. I think one of the biggest things that has me excited about these is the modifications I can make to them, and the weapons I can create out of my Legos for them.

If I have enough ambition I may try to make them transformable.

8. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked a few of the Exo-Force Lego sets, but would constantly be disappointed by what appeared to be cost cutting measures in the figures keeping them from the greatness that could have been. This was most evident in the lack of proper arm articulation. It's great to hear that Hasbro has taken things to the next level.

I'm not 100% sure which of the first round of Kre-O sets I'll grab, but these pictures make a pretty good case for Sideswipe.

You mention that the figure is about the size of a Ultra class figure, but would it be possible to get a couple pics of Sideswipe next to some deluxes, voyagers, ultras, or leaders to get a better sense of scale?

9. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    To make them transformable you could benefit from buying a Lego Creator or Technic set. Sideswipe would need a lot more parts to be transformable without sacrificing the looks.

Might take some pics later. He's much bigger in robot mode than in car mode. After building car mode I was like "eh this thing is kinda small". After robot mode: "well damn...this is where the $20 went...this guy is big".

10. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I have a ton of Lego Creator sets for this very purpose. I bought all the animal/creature sets for the joint pieces, and many of the other Creator sets come with tons of Technic pieces, so I would have everything I need. The problem was that though I have a good range of movement with the Creator pieces, they don't necessarily lend themselves well to transformation unless you want to get real complicated with the Technic bits. Some of the Kre-O hinge pieces I saw used in Bumblebee and other sets look like they could help with that. Having the specific vehicle parts, colors, smaller articulated pieces, and especially the robot heads, will be a big help if I decide to give it a go.

11. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Let me know how it goes if you make them transformable!

12. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Like I said with my Mirage review, the mini figures and the robot heads are fricken awesome. Unfortunately the rest of it doesn't quite do it for me.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Looks actually kinda good.

14. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn good review, Shin..

I think the price on these is pretty decent compared to Lego...but I dont buy them I just look at them in the stor so I could be full of shit...

I may pick up one of these sets in the future...

15. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I'll wait for someone to make a custom Menasor before i decide

16. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    think the head would work on a classics red alert?? Would be a great way to give the US one the red head.

17. Optimus997

Optimus997 Well-Known Member

What has me most excited about these sets (besides the Kreons) are the inevitable custom fan modes that can be created from having multiple sets. Maybe someone will actually come up with a model that will transform from robot to car without any dis-assembly. When I was a kid I just threw all my Lego sets together and made many, MANY custom space craft, helicopters, etc. I'm sure these will be no different.

18. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    For the deluxe Generations figure? Nah the head is too big man. It's roughly 50% larger.

19. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The red head kinda bugs me, but I guess if I found the same amount of white pieces instead of red, I could make a damn fine Red Alert....

20. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice review, we know the kreon is sideswipe, who is the human?

Shame the head is red rather than black though, that would have helped break up the sheer amount of red in robot mode.