KRE-O, this is how it's done...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kurttkrueger, Jun 25, 2011.

1. kurttkrueger

kurttkrueger Well-Known Member

Just found this while browsing my usual Lego haunt. Check it out.

Transformable Alternators Tracks made out of Lego:

Transformer: Tracks - Eurobricks Forums

All credit to the builder, but it goes to show, it can be done!

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    of course it can be done, but that doesn't look anywhere near as good as the kre-o robot modes. fully transforming TFs are possible, but kre-o chose not to do it that way so that neither mode would suffer, and both modes would be solid and able to be played with.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Indeed, and what do you wanna bet it falls apart if so much as pick it up too fast?

4. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    So is this Kre-O stuff an official brand of Lego, or something else?

* sorry, I haven't paid attention to Lego in years, so I have no idea what's going on there.

5. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

The problem with building fully Transformable robots out of bricks, is that one mode is almost sure to suffer (obviously, in this case, the robot mode). So, I'd say Hasbro took the best route, with just having you build them into either mode.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Kre-O is an official Hasbro brand.

To use current Transformers fandom terminology, Kre-O is "Not-Lego".

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Thanks, Nevermore. Appreciated.

8. Nope

Nope Conehead

News Credits:
    This.

9. Kyle Blues

Kyle Blues whoo.

The problem is the figures don't really tend to hold together well and can be pretty tedious to build from one mode to another.

Now a solid idea would've been to have kreons with a secondary alt-mode prop, and then given them buildable bases for them to interact with. (and to be compatible with other building blocks, of course)

10. Nope

Nope Conehead

News Credits:
    From what I've experienced with Jazz, Mirage, and Ratchet, they hold together extremely well.

11. Kyle Blues

Kyle Blues whoo.

As for that note, I've simply got too much bad past experience with other construction block robots and I haven't had a chance to play with kreo's too much yet.

But the concept still seems too faulty to me. =/

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

That Tracks looks cute, but maybe a little awkward, especially in terms of transformation. But of course it can be done, and has been done by many Lego artists for years now. And the good ones are better than the half-assed Hasbro/Kreo/Lego/BTR attempts at robots... Every. Single. Time.

And of course, I'm sure a bunch of people will leap to Hasbro's defense, just like they do Every. Single. Time. :rolleyes:  However the truth is the official builders never seem to put as much care and effort into developing their builds (it's just a job for them, and I'm sure there are more limitations put on them too, of course).

I love the idea, and the Kreons themselves are pretty neato, but besides that, Kreo kind of sucks... if I may be so bold as to point out that the emperor has no clothes.

No sorry... but that's bull. This is better. If Hasbro had stuck a remolded Alt Tracks head on this, and packaged it with a Tracks Kreon, I'm confident that fanboys would be gushing, and calling it the best Kreobot yet, all the more so because of it's transforming functionality.

Again, wake up guys. The official Kreo builds generally suck (ESPECIALLY when one considers that they don't transform, and have no excuse for such compromised bot designs), and anyone with a handful of bricks, talent and perseverance should probably be able to come up with something better.

And of course, that's kind of the point. Lego (and Kreo and Megablox) is there to be reinvented. The real brick artists put the official builds to shame, and so it should be. It means that the bricks are being used for their true creative purpose at least.

Again, and with all due respect... I think this is bunk. Since when are Lego builds meant to be "solid" so they can be played with? Nonsense. The reason the Kreo builds are not as good is because the development time and brick count would probably be prohibitively expensive. I can almost guarantee that the official builds are the product of time management and tightly controlled price points, nothing more.

Sorry if I'm coming off as harsh... it's not my intent. I'm just a little irked because I have tremendous respect for what some Lego builders accomplish, and I'm always dismayed at how far behind the official designs lag when it comes to mecha engineering. I think the opening poster is dead right, and I find it embarrassing that people are rushing to defend the workaday Hasbro builds by the "pros", while turning up their noses at the guys who really know how to lay bricks.

I mean, come on... Hasbro may have good reasons for turning out such lazy builds, but that doesn't make them GOOD builds. There's really no comparison at all.

zmog

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    In robot mode, it's squatty, ugly, and I have no idea how anyone is supposed to be able to play with it when even just standing there, it's parts look like they're getting in each other's way.

Um, always? Building block toys are still toys, you're supposed to be able to play with what you make.

14. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Personally I like the Jazz model which is also on Eurobricks: G1 Autobot Jazz - Eurobricks Forums

Of course I think it (as well as the Tracks model) kinds of shows that Kre-O benefits from having custom head pieces rather than having it built out of bricks. Don't get me wrong, I admire that people can make a decent replicate of a Transformer's head out of bricks, but it's just my opinion. I really need to get some Kre-os sometime too... I talk so much about Kre-O and have yet to purchase one.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    That jazz looks a ton better in robot mode than the tracks does.

16. SMOG

Actually, the squatty-ness is kind of what I like, since most builders (including the Kreo designers) tend to go the opposite direction and build spindly, stupid looking robots, relying too much on simple ball joints, and foregoing aesthetics entirely. I agree that there's something sort of "kibble-bound" about this Tracks (just like the Alternators version it's based on, so it gets points there, sort of), but there is an inherent aesthetic squatty style to it, rather than it just being an accident of fate. I don't think it'll pose well because of all the thickness, but there's something that kind of works for it in a stylized way, even just standing there.

Nope. The bricks themselves are sturdy, but for the most part, Lego constructions are not even close to something I'd call "sturdy" in terms of childrens' playthings. Arguably, there are some pretty rugged builds, but an equal number of fragile designs that shed pieces like studded-plastic lepers. And of course, the more complex the design, the more fussy it becomes. The power of the brick toy is the way it can be used to build intricate models... or, well... bricks. :) 

I agree here... recognizable robot heads are definitely the weak point in brick Transformers. I think Kreo has the right idea in that respect, though I think the heads should probably be a bit more stylized, rather than just looking like someone stuck some Classics heads on top of crude block robots.

Oh definitely. That Jazz is a beauty, and admittedly starts from a much stronger core design than the Tracks. I admire the building, but I can't see why anyone would want to base another robot design on that Alternators Tracks model. Even the original has some serious issues.

zmog

17. optimus1

optimus1 Well-Known Member

18. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Why don't we all just shut up, and get Alanyap hired at Hasbro? Then we can all have awesome Lego-formers that look good in both modes. :lol 

The serious point is, we don't always have to sacrifice either mode for a transforming brick-former. People have proven it time and time again, that it can be done, this tracks isn't the best example, but not the worst either.

Personally, I'll be staying away from Kre-O, because it cant transform. And the point of transformes is that you can play with them and then transform them mid-battle relatively easily, off the top of your head after you've done it a few times. I don't want to have to take it all apart and them reassemble, as it not only takes a long time, but is almost impossible without instructions,

anyways, just slap a decent head onto some bricks (heads made of bricks suck, like SMOG said), and then make it transform, and then I'd buy it. But as of now, this is much better than Kre-O, and it does look very close to Alternators Tracks.

19. SMOG

Yeah, like that. Why does nobody sell kits like that, huh? That Megatron is pretty insane.

Am I remembering wrong, or was there a "custom brick" site run by one of the big companies at one point, where people could post their builds and the parts used, and others could buy the brick list and the instructions online? That sounds familiar.

zmog

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I never saw them as something to make models with. I made my own toys. I played with stuff made out of legos the same way I would any other toy. I even named certain lego minifigs and had ongoing stupid plots.