Kre-O Optimus Prime [da big one!]

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Josh, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Well I couldnt find me just a picture review/feedback thread of this guy so I decided to make one [and some reason the search feature has seemed to have disappeared :p ]

but yeah!

I got my big Kre-O Optimus Prime in the mail from Target.com the other day and have since put him together in both modes!

here's some pics and some quick thoughts!

First off, the package this guy came in was H.U.G.E.

Coulda fit a small child in there easy!

now the actual Kre-O box wasnt as big [thankfully!] but it was still huge! bigger than i expected! lots of nice pictures and CG renders of all the Kre-O stuff :p 

very nice!

And a few seconds after i gandered at the box i busted that thang open, took out all the pieces, and began assembling this guy!

Here's a look at all the pieces divided up by cab and trailer [this pic was taken after id already built him in vehicle mode and since disassembled him to create his bot and base mode]

lots and lots of pieces! hehehe

[​IMG]
    cab pieces

[​IMG]
    trailer pieces

So yeah, like I mentioned, I went in and built his vehicle mode first and what a glorious vehicle mode it is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasnt too keen on all of the billions of autobot symbols this guy came with and only really used the stickers sparingly. Not to say im not glad it came with 'em but I just didnt wanna sticker him up. cuz you can tell they're just stickers :p  and i dont like that!

so anyways, here's a shot of his vehicle mode with his fello Kreons! [who are AWESOME. I need moar!!!!]
    I love the scale these little guys create with both the vehicle mode and the GIGANTIC robot mode!

[​IMG]

So after having him sit around in vehicle mode for half the night I decided I wanted to be brave [or stupid. those words are almost interchangable here! lol] and build the robot and base modes! just to see what they looked like!

Now, first off, i agree with most everybody else ive heard review this guy. The vehicle mode is just awesome and it really pained me to have to disassemble that beast! it looked so awesome!!! But the bot mode is awesome too! Needless to say, i'm gonna have to track me down another set if this guy ever goes on sale. Id love to display him in both his awesome modes!

[did i mention that he's AWESOME? xD]

im way in love with his robot mode too. I think it looks fantastic! all movie inspired and with that sexy G1/Classics head!i love it! and he's so pose-able!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

build time for both modes came in around 2-2.5 hours i think? i wasnt exactly timing myself but i did take a look at the clock every now and then and i think thats a pretty good estimate. It wasnt an overly long period of time but it was satisfying none the less! Hard to believe that 500 and some odd number pieces of bricks could make such awesomeness!

I just love how its like, build your own transformer figure. very fun!

[​IMG]

All in all, i'm way impressed! Megatron is a for sure pick up for me [cuz i gotta have both leaders!] but all of the larger sized guys really do look great! i think theres a strong chance i might pick up Ratchet and maybe the larger bumblebee too. I just love these things. I'm not a Lego collector but I have owned one or two sets before, and Ive always enjoyed the process of putting these things together. I think Hasbro's got a real winner here cuz now I can build my favorite Transformers. Well done Hasbro! I dont even care that they dont transform! Building is where the funs at!

This set = TOTALLY worth it

Attached Files:

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I see the head is on a plate of some kind. Is it fixed to the plate or can it be removed? Also, is the head ball-jointed? Can it be moved up or down.

3. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    The head itself is on a ball joint. its got SOME up and down movement but its not like a whole ton [but its still there!]. the ball joint is part of that 'plate' you're talking about :D  [you just pop the head on it]

its a very cool head! obviously very reminiscent of the Classics Voyager Prime head

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

That's good to know. Some of the head sculpts look really nice and would make a great source of heads for customs.

5. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great review.

Is that the Botcon Exclusive Prime Kreon or the one that came with your set?

Because it looks Botcon exclusive.

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    unfortunately for all the Botconners it seems that Kre-O accidentally packaged this first wave of Optimus' with the exclusive Matrix chested kreons!

D:

but i hear Hasbro is keen on sending out the regular Primes if you let 'em know

I just emailed 'em a few minutes ago so hopefully they'll send me one soon enough!

7. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very nice review! I was at TRU yesterday with the expectation that I was going to buy "da big one", but I got Megatron instead. I really enjoyed putting Megs truck mode together, took me about an hour and 15 minutes :eek: 

I wasn't "brave" enough to take him apart and build the robot yet, but I will later :D  I have to agree, I just LOVE these things even if they don't transform, they are just fun to build. After seeing this review, I can't wait to pick me up a Prime now :thumb 

8. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Great pics and review. I wish the TRU near me had this, I had a 20% off coupon yesterday, didn't find "da big one", so I bought the $8 kreo Optimus instead, which didn't come with drivers. It was fun though. After putting that together, I think 90 pieces is about the limit for me.

9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Cool review Josh! I may pick this up eventually. Sideswipe wins man you should buy him!

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Thanks!

Sideswipe looks neat but that red head of his is a turn-off!

:p 

well that and i need to watch my shelf space >__>

11. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

hasbro told me to send back matrix prime w. paid envelope and then they would replace with reg prime......

12. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's kind of petty of Hasbro to request that you send back the matrix Prime. It's their fault and they should just send you the correct item. It's just a minifig, not the who kit, so it isn't an expensive piece to send. It should be sent to you at their own expense. I do like Hasbro, and I respect that company a great deal, but this is kind of lame to make that request. I would not mind sending them a copy of the receipt as proof of purchase instead.

If you don't mind doing what they request, that's fine too. I guess that is just a personal point of view anyway. :)  If I had to choose, I'd send in the matrix Prime too, which I will do if that is the only way.

I still cannot figure out which one I want to build, truck or robot. Unlike the other Kre-O sets, this is the only one I am having a hard time deciding on.

13. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    have to say i agree with ya Sportimus

and its kinda weird. ive heard both that some people didnt have to send it back and some people do

14. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

they are sending the pre-paid envelope... sorry for the confusion. However, they have yet to respond to my counter offer email, asking what it would cost to buy a reg. Prime...no answer (4 days).

I'll be keeping matrix prime knowing eventually another set will be made including him.

15. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Haha holy cow. After I spent a little over $20 on eBay to get the Botcon one, sure enough there's one in my Big Optimus Prime set. Well. May as well do the swap with Hasbro, I do need the "normal" one. I can understand why they would want the "exclusive" one back, too.

16. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I think I'll wait for someone to come up with a fully transformable custom Kre-O Prime and then buy the required sets to build it.

17. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Meh, the lack of transformation doesn't bother me. In fact, I prefer it that way because these guys are a lot sturdier without a bunch of extra hinges weakening the figures. That said, I think that something like a G1-style Prime would be a good choice for a transforming Kre-o given the simplicity of his transformation. The movie-styled/inspired stuff, would not look good at all.

18. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I just picked up Prime, Jazz, Prowl and Megatron over the long weekend and am loving these guys. My take on this is, if you want it to truly transform then buy a regular figure. These are building sets and building is half of the fun here and I'm totally down with that.

My only beef with the Kre-Os so far are the stickers, and it seems to be exclusive to my Prime set. The stickers for Prime seems to have really weak adhesive and start to peel like mad after a few minutes. I haven't stickered Prowl or Megatron yet, but the Jazz seems to be holding up okay so far. Anyone else having issues like this?

19. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I agree. These are awfully tempting, but I think I'll have to pass, at least for now, so I have money to spend on the regular TF toys...

20. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    That's the proof he purchased the kit. Otherwise anyone who didn't buy the set could request a free mini Prime.