Kre-O Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Reigner, Jun 13, 2011.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    When I get time I'll dissassemble it, taking pics as I go, then I can just arrange them backwards as instructions!

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Thanks. Your design for him is just awesome. He won't look stupid standing next to Optimus like that!

Does having that turntable as his waist make his waist too loose? it doesn't have a lot of friction for me.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Honestly not so much. I think maybe because his upper body is now so heavy.

4. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Instructions you say? Okay. Here's fifty-five poorly lit, half-blurry pictures to stare at. Note: For the arms and legs merely flip the process. I'm not showing both. Also some parts are alreayd assembled because it's easy to see, but mostly I did this guy brick by brick.

And Kreon Megatron helped kinda.

[​IMG]

Part 1:

[​IMG]

Arms.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And there ya go.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Part two: Legs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And there's the legs.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Part three: Torso.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's go Voltron farce.

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    That's it! I'm goin out and buying this guy!

Thx for the instructions split!

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I want to make a transformable Kre-O Megatron.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Me, too. But I was never good with Transformable Legos. We need Alanyap or The Librarian to get one of these sets. The parts are there, but I don't know how to make them do what I want.

11. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Thank you, SL. I'm going to rebuild mine tomorrow. :thumbs2: 

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    As long as mine turns into a functional rolling thing, I'll be happy. LOL!

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Thanks, Split Lip!

EDIT: Just built his version. It's damn good! this build uses a lot more of the set's parts than the one in the manual, it leaves just 13 extra parts. It looks even better in person, where you can really appreciate the layers of detail.

Some obervations: the upper body isn't as solid as the original, and will very likely come apart during construction, due to parts not wanting to stack as secure as you'd want them to. The wheels connected on the back of the legs can come off easily, but that's a simple fix, as you can just add some left over parts (I also pulled one black bar off the back of each lower arm off to use there) to each leg to lock them on. the gray piece on the bottom of the back near the steering wheel doesn't connect that well, and is best left off. There's also a long gray bar in each upper arm that if put where the photos show, will keep his arms from going completely straight. If that annoys you, you can easily raise it up one notch so it's out of the way. His feet are a little stumpy, but it's not a big deal. Surprisingly. the waist turntable doesn't hinder it's stability in poses at all. Split was right, the weight of the upper body helps a lot there.

One huge thing this has over the original is a way of locking the ankles in place. If you've built either Megatron or Optimus, you know that these guys have a habit of tilting forwards or backwards, since the ankle ball joints can't support their weight properly. Well, I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the gray flaps on Megatron's feet line up just perfect with the step parts on his lower legs, so if you bend the flaps inward, they lock the foot in position against those step parts. No worries about shelf diving or faceplanting here! He could still fall backwards because of the way the pieces line up, but just pose him leaning slightly forward, and his feet will lock in position, and he won't go anywhere. I'm always worrying about Optimus falling over, and I love that I don't have to worry about Megatron anymore.

This design is vastly superior to the original. He looks better, he poses better, and is just all around awesome. He does end up just a tiny bit shorter than the original (this one can't look Optimus in the eye like the original could), but the trade off is worth it. It's easy to make him taller anyways, just insert your own little gap between the black balljoint parts in either his lower or upper legs, and the problem is fixed.

To sum it up: don't build the thing in the manual, build Split Lip's version instead. You won't regret it.

Here's a pic of him next to Optimus, so you can see the slight size difference.
    [​IMG]

Thanks, Split Lip! You've made Kreo Megatron much better than I ever thought possible.

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    <3

im tempted to go straight out to the 24hour walmart and buy this right now xD

15. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Man, that really looks great. I can't wait to build mine up like that.

Split Lip, do you regularly do Lego MOCs(My Own Creation)? You're pretty good at it from the looks of it. I'd love to see some of your other stuff.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I wish I had Op, then I probably would've tried to make him as tall or taller. Yeah the torso likes to fall apart while building, I realised taking it apart that's due to a lot of parts sitting on one peg/stud until the top layers fall in place. I wonder if there's a way around that.

Moreso recently. I've done lots of cars and ships, but this is my first brick-based robot.

17. Tikin

Tikin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got around to trying SL's version and have to say it's a definite improvement. Got me inspired to try improving Optimus if I get a chance. Not-Lego being Not-Lego I decided to do a few minor adjustments of my own to give him the Kreo!Megatron shoulder cannon and drum-collar and ended up with something like five spare pieces, which are now a little speech giving podium for Kreon!Megs to address his troops. (aka Shockwave, Skywarp and Silas :lol )

I don't get why I've seen some people complain about the head. Gives me a LSotW Overlord vibe, and despite first glance actually looks like the bucket helmet from the sides and back.

18. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm going to do the SL build as well, this weekend just haven't had time with work yet.

19. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    When I first heard about these I wasn't very interested, but I just saw them at Barnes and Noble and I think I might start collecting them. I didn't buy any this time, but I probably will next time! :D 

20. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am waiting for the price to drop a bit on this guy to get him the €42 seems a bit high.