Kre-O Cycle Chase (Barricade & Autobot Troopers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Noideaforaname, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    "Cycle Chase" is one of 2 Kreon-centric sets, which come with 4 Kreons, a vehicle, and a road obstacle. They cost about as much as 4 Microchangers though come with a lot more, which is a nice deal.
    While "Decepticon Ambush" reimagines one of the first scenes of Prime, this set gives us two things we don't see that often: a Decepticon in a 'heroic' disguise (well, when not a Kreon) and generic Autobot troops.

First off, Barricade:
    [​IMG]
    He's based more upon his WfC counterpart (and winds up somewhat generic-looking) than the Movie one, which is odd given how popular and distinctive Movie Barry is.
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, as a Kreon Barry has some nice articulation and loads of cuteness if at the cost of stability. Unfortunately, the plastic isn't of the greatest quality. Besides the seemingly inevitable stressed wrists, the plastic appears to be dangerously thin between the indents on the rump and the ball joints. Barry already has a crack there:
    [​IMG]
    "Bite my shiny metal -- My ass! My beautiful ass!"
    Barricade can swap his chest with a featureless, clear 'Dark Energon-infused' chest, though given the concerns over the plastic I'd rather not try it that often.
    [​IMG]
    Still, kinda cool:
    [​IMG]
    As with all Kreons, Barricade is able to hold a whole slew of items, including certain Lego pieces, but not Cyberverse tools/weapons. Unlike the wrists and rump, the hands haven't shown any signs of stress.
    [​IMG]
    "This isn't the donut I ordered!"
    What Barricade can't hold is the Dark Energon pipe thing, despite what the package art implies.
    [​IMG]
    Which, incidentally, is actually made up of 3 parts:
    [​IMG]
    Which include a few pegs and ports, allowing for some interesting uses:
    [​IMG]
    "I always did want to be taller..."
    Barricade comes with a motorcycle with a sidecar-turned-big-gun. The sidecar has a working firing missile using not springs, but two of the strangest bricks you'll ever see, which essentially flicks the missile out. The sidecar can technically be attached to either side, though you have to spin two parts (the two parts that physically connect it to the bike) around to do that.
    [​IMG]
    Barricade does end up looking pretty far down while driving...
    [​IMG]
    When not in hand, Barricade's hand gun can be pegged into the back pegs on the bike.
    [​IMG]
    Likewise, Barricade can hold the motorcycle's missile:
    [​IMG]
    The cycle is very good about using as many parts as it can. Only 2 parts are unused in this mode:
    [​IMG]
    Of important note is that the absurdly miniscule muffler was loose in package on my set. It's secure once pegged in, but the instructions make no note of it.
    [​IMG]
    The sidecar can be rebuilt as a... different missile firing... thing. The instructions don't really mention what it's supposed to be.
    Note the gray part still left attached to the bike, which is 'needed' for the other mode. I cannot at all detach it (it's just too securely pegged in) so I had to resort to using a Lego equivalent for the other... thing, though it's "supposed" to have two pegs sticking out of it's sides uselessly. *shrug*
    [​IMG]
    Barricade can't really man the turret in the traditional sense.
    [​IMG]
    Due to the hinges, the gun-thing can stand.
    [​IMG]
    ...and walk. Hmm, a Transformer, perhaps?
    [​IMG]
    Once again, very few parts are unused. Inexplicably, the same actual parts are still unused, just different colors. Weird.
    [​IMG]

Part 2, the Auto[bot ]Troopers.
    [​IMG]
    "'Scuse me sir, have you been drinking?"
    The Autotroopers all look mostly identical, though thanks to having different expressions feel like distinct (if nameless) individuals as opposed to clones with different alt modes like the Vehicons.
    [​IMG]
    An automobile, an aircraft, and a... decide for yourself.
    Speaking of which, they make excellent good-guy counterparts to said Vehicons.
    [​IMG]
    They have very Prime-esque chest designs, with the badge-like insignia their Animated versions sported.
    [​IMG]
    I managed a decent close-up picture! Huzzah!
    Due to the ports, you could opt to store the guns on the backs of the two with kibble. Or their legs...
    [​IMG]
    The Autotrooper with the stripe (the leader, perhaps) curiously has only one smokestack, it seems like it was done so as to not interfere with the large gun he carries.
    [​IMG]
    I suppose we could imagine it's the automobile's tailpipe rather than a smokestack
    The Autotroopers come with a barrier and an Autobot-stamped square, for what good that'll do to stop Barricade.
    [​IMG]

All in all a pretty fun set but not without it's problems, and definitely not up to Lego's standards. A nice introduction to Kre-O and a quick means to troop build.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    Nice! Definitely one I want to pick up, along with the microchangers.

3. Blot

Blot Terrorcon

News Credits:
    The secondary build for the side car reminds me of Laserbeak. I treat it like a flying attack drone.