Kre-O custom builds: How do you modify your Kre-Os?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hippie Trooper, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    Kre-O custom builds: How do you make your Kre-Os look better?

Couldnt find Kre-O threads other than reviews, but my search function keeps disappearing so if this has been done before, please move or merge, thanks!

I'm really loving Kre-O! I've been a fan of LEGO/building toys all my life and getting that & TF together in one is just awesome! I love how they look for the most part, but I'll admit they're not all perfect.
    I've made modifications to two so far, Prowl and Megatron;

Prowl;
    I brought his shoulders up higher, flipped the door assy so they face right side up and made them sit farther apart, and added the car's wing to his back above the doors;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Megatron;
    Brought his shoulders up, added doors to upper arms (as seen on box art but not actually shown in instructions), cleaned up his chest/shoulder area, built a fusion cannon out of leftover parts and added more truck parts to his "jail backpack"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And just for fun, here's Megatron pulling OP's trailer;

[​IMG]

And just 'cause I love how they look together, my Kre-O collection thus far;

[​IMG]

So, do you modify your Kre-Os? Show us how!
    Later

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm really digging the fusion cannon on Megatron.

Also, regarding Prowl, you can give his shoulder blasters a more accurate look by attaching those small gray Lego cones.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm really digging the fusion cannon on Megatron.

Also, regarding Prowl, you can give his shoulder blasters a more accurate look by attaching those small gray Lego cones.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

All I have so far are the small Bumblebee and Optimus sets, and only Bumblebee is built.

I haven't done it yet, but I was thinking of modding Bumblebee to look more like the Classics figure. Not sure yet if I even have enough yellow Lego pieces for it.

5. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    For me the only I've done so far is Kre-O Mirage instead of putting that rounded headrest as his chest I took the one of that long ramp looking piece that went on his right arm in the instruction and put it as his chest piece,and vice versa. I gotta say Mirage looks a lot better that way,and more streamlined.

As for my other kre-o's I haven't done anything to those,except basic prime,which I did take off those top pieces in vehicle mode that form his feet in bot mode to make him look more G1ish.Next week when I get my check I plan to buy the rest of the kre-o's if I don't find anything else.Later all.

6. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

I also modded prowl a little, lowering all the crap behind his head a bit. I like your raised shoulders and widened doors though, think I might steal the ideas = ). I also changed the 6 dot long shoulders to 4, and brought the tail fins down to his feet/made rutters out of extra parts to kinda of homage classics mold ^^. Also put missles symmetrically on both arms and added pieces to make look like proper null rays

7. Shinobi Rendar

Shinobi Rendar Artobot

News Credits:
    I was waiting for someone to make a thread about this. I wasn't sure if it would really count in the radicons section. I really like the mods you did to Prowl Hippie Trooper. I'm gonna make similar mods to Prowl when I build him.

I'm also a lego fanatic, although I sold most of my collection a while ago. When I saw these sets I couldn't resist.

Here are the ones I've built already. I made a few modes on them minus BB.
    [​IMG]

The one that has mo mods was Megs. I lowered his upper torso so shoulder line looks right. I also made mods on the arms and shoulder so he has a more menacing look, plus bonus hobo gun.
    [​IMG]

I made a gun for Prime that also can shoot the missiles.
    [​IMG]

I made the mods on Jazz mainly on his upper torso and arms. Mods were inspired heavily by mods from other members. I made his "chest" wider so the rest of the torso looks thinner. Made his car door wings more noticeable, plus I made a Blaster for him. I do want to buy another set and make him more in par with Prowl's height.
    [​IMG]

8. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    I played around with Prowl some more today, something was still bugging me about him. The raised shoulders definitely looked better than his originally low placement, but at the same level as his head, they were too high.
    I removed one of the two L shaped pieces the head mounts onto, allowing me to bring the shoulder mounting block down one dot. I moved the yellow "light" blocks to the now empty square behind his head which raised them up a dot, and helped fill out that square, then I pushed his shoulder cannons back a dot. Finally, I moved the leftover L block to his back to help support the wing which was popping off alot anyways, so now it's reinforced.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far I've done all mods using ONLY what bricks come in the respective sets. I've not borrowed from other Kre-Os nor have I used basic LEGO blocks. But I might borrow some LEGO blocks to fill in Prowls torso some more. Unless I find a way to do that, I'm pretty much done with this one, I'm really happy with how this turned out.

Also, I took another look at the big Optimus Prime. I dont like having too many parts leftover. Nothing major here, I just used some of the leftover parts to give him the "yellow circles" on his waist, and built his "fender backback". I think this really helps complete his look!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shinobi Rendar; I really like how your Jazz looks! I've been looking at mine wondering if I should raise his shoulder some too!
    Later

9. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    made a arm cannon, double stacked the barrels behind him and modified the shoulders.

[​IMG]

10. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    Is your cannon mounted on the shoulder or did you come up with a way to mount it on his bicep? I have mine on the forearm, but the "wedge" piece it's on only has two dots to mount to, making the connection rather weak. I've contemplated removing the wedge and plugging straight to the flat forearm, making for a much more solid mount, but that would bring the cannon waaay too low for my taste.
    Later

11. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

I modified SS a bit

Modded the arms, added length to the legs and tweeked the neck and crotch

[​IMG]

12. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    i mounted on the bicep because, as you said, the forum connection is tenuous.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. PandaGash

PandaGash Hairy Bot

Hi all, I know this is an old thread but I've only just got into Kre-o as they've been on sale and I wasn't sure I'd like them enough to pay full price. Now I know what I've been missing - I love them! Just modded Prowl - I left his shoulders where they were, but moved his arm wheels up to form a shoulder assembly and be a bit closer to G1. Then I added backs onto his cannons, as well as a spoiler behind his head and his rear windshield onto his back to give him a bit more bulk. I moved his doors out further as part of the new shoulder build and added the front windsheild pieces onto his arms. I bulked up his legs by adding in the wheel-arch pieces and swapping his hidden wheels from the back to the front. I basically just used all the spare parts to bulk him up and make him a bit more bad-ass, whilst trying to hid the fact his shoulders are so low!

Attached Files:

14. BokJae

BokJae New Member

Hi, just posting some rebuild on old kre-o sets. Both Jazz and Mirage look great in alt mode as per original instructions. Bot mode however suffers from knee-less syndrome, as with the other much basic sets. So, i decided to do some joint swapping, trading ankle joint for knee. Overall design is still solid and stable.
    Here are the final results. Enjoy :)  Oh ya, all parts used from their respective sets. no extra added

Attached Files:

15. Inverse Midas

Inverse Midas Jettisoning weight!

I just rebuilt Jazz using your instructions-- it's 100x better than the official build. Great job and thanks for sharing!

16. BokJae

BokJae New Member

Welcome :)  the 2 long pieces on arm optional, they have no where to go, so just put them there as blade weapons...

17. BokJae

BokJae New Member

More on Jazz rebuild, this time tackle the altmode. Original Hasbro instructions give a shorter and smaller car mode for Jazz. I feel that it somehow lacks the sports car looks. So I lengthen the front and make it wider. Also lowers the base of the car. As usual, using all the pieces from original set, except for the 2 joined wheel guards (which limits the width in the original design, hence smaller stockier alt mode).

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. craftsmith

craftsmith Flying Spanner

Ebay:
    Awesome design, can kreons now climb in without that hinderence of the strips either side.

19. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :rock That is awesome!!!!!

20. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

Clever! A simple, but effective correction. Well done, sir.