Kotobukiya's "FRAME ARMS"

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by netkid, Mar 29, 2010.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
  2. tootsmendozer

tootsmendozer hairy giant

there models and yes to look any good they do require paint, i think they're ok, i have the one that looks like it should transform into a jet fighter, they also like to come apart alot when you move them, not because they are bad but because so many parts can come off

3. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    IIRC someone said they were more like pre-assembled model kits.

4. tootsmendozer

you get the core body which is assembled but then you have loads of armour and stuff you need to put together and paint to get yourt finished fig, i still have yet to finish mine

5. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell mmmm...energon

I was under the impression they were like Busou Shinki a base figure (in this case a frame) and the armor clips on.

6. netkid

News Credits:
    Yeah, but how do they look unpainted? Are there areas that are missing color which would need to be painted?

I'm trying to figure it out. 1/144 Gundam kits usually require lots of paint, while Master Grade kits require little paint. Is it like that?

7. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a LOT that needs to be painted, especially on the Skylet type. Here's a Skylet WITHOUT paint.

[​IMG]

8. netkid

News Credits:
    OOF!

Yeah, PASS on these.

9. tootsmendozer

yeah the sky type is the one i have, it does need alot of paint and panel lining to look good, hence why mine isnt finished yet

10. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

I am in love with this line. I've only built one so far and am currently prepping it for paint, but the designs are very unique!

Currently working on the Rapiere

Before primer:
    [​IMG]

New cleaver:
    [​IMG]

And new sword:
    [​IMG]

11. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I know I saw that weapon set on a website before, I just can't remember where.
    Hey Squee, where did you get the weapons?

12. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

The longer weapon comes with the kit, but i chopped off the end and added part of a sword from the koto msg set. The shorter sword is also from that set. I originally chopped up the connection point for another build so i cut it up and reshaped it into the shorter weapon. I bought this set years ago, i think from HLJ. Amiami just restocked a ton of msg stuff, would be worth the look.

My friend just bought me the msg set 6 which has the sword i really wanted, so it'll replace these weapons.

13. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

Kotobukiya's model kits in general are more for dedicated modelers. The Frame Arms product line is a great starting point but does require extra work put in beyond assembly(painting and gluing at times). These model kits are not for people who just want snap assembly model kits that require little more than assembly and/or sticker application.

I'm a fan of Kotobukiya's kits because of the sharpness of sculpt and mold detail. Their Armored Core kits are fantastic.

14. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

^Great description. I wish i liked the armor core designs, the model kits look like really interesting builds, but they're not something i'd want to own. Does that make sense? lol

15. Fr33domgundam

Fr33domgundam Well-Known Member

The Frame Arms kits have really come a long way.
    I have one of their earlier ones, the "Gourai" I believe. Got that back in 2010 or something. With the newer and more recent ones, you can barely tell that it's a Frame Arms at all. Props out to Kotobukiya for that.

I really like the fact that there's a generic frame that you build on top of; it makes customizing things a whole lot more interesting (like RGs, MGs and PGs with Gundams), as well as just mixing and matching armor parts.

Unfortunately, I felt that the inner-frames to be pretty finicky to get right and I had difficulty getting armor parts on and off of it. I also felt that they're a bit on the small size; I would've much preferred ~15-17cm tall ones (roughly 1/100 Gundam scale) instead of the size they come at.