Kotobukiya's Armored Core - anyone into them?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by LigerPrime, Aug 21, 2007.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked up one of Kotobukiya's Armored Core - AC-007...and am in the process of building it. Thus far, I'm pretty impressed with what I'm building so I'm wondering if anyone here collects them also and I would be grateful if anyone can recommend me a website or gallery to look at or even recommend me some kits.

2. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Bump...so no one hear collects the kits? here's a pix of 1 of the kits that I like:

[​IMG]

3. nectarsis

nectarsis I have ZAZZZZZZZZZ

I LOVE them...a little to pricey :( 

4. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, they're quite expensive. I'm in the process of building AC-007 and the sheer no. of parts is INSANE! I'm impressed by the quality of the plastic..it seems more durable compared to Bandai's HG and MG kits. My only complaint so far is that some of the parts are so small that I difficulty assembling them! XD

I'm not going to buy everything in this series and it would be great if someone can give me some idea on my next purchase.

5. nectarsis

nectarsis I have ZAZZZZZZZZZ

where do you get most of you sets?

6. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I was hoping they would release some with parts from AC3.
    It'd be kickass to have a model of my custom AC.

7. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I live in Asia, Singapore and I get them from my local hobby store but then again, I noticed that not many of them carry the Armored Core kits. The average price is around USD$28-35! Steep!

8. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Do these things really look as good as they do in the pictures without having to be painted? Paint was always the major problem I had with models, most of them(at least the ones I'm used to seeing on normal retail shelves) look like crap when they aren't painted, and I just don't have the patience to paint and then put the thing together.

9. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    It depends on the type of models, dude. For what I see - yes. The metallic gloss can be achieved by simply spraying a "finish".

If you're looking for other kits, I recommend Bandai. For example, their Gundam Master Grade line is superb.

Check-out the link below:

www.dalong.net

The site's Korean but it shows the Master Grade in their "unpainted" glory. Of course, more of us use the "Gundam" markers to highlight the panel lines.

The Armored Core kits can be found in the Kotobukiya on the main page. Here's some of the direct links:

http://www.dalong.net/review/kotobukiya/ac03/ac03_p.htm

http://www.dalong.net/review/kotobukiya/ac01/ac01_p.htm

http://www.dalong.net/review/kotobukiya/ac02/ac02_p.htm

Looks good, huh? :) 

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Ive been drooling over the Armored Core stuff lately. Been trying to stay away because I pretty sure I'll get hooked.

Some of them look so damn awesome

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    keep in mind that true to the armored core series, the models all have swapable parts, and you can buy weapon packs to make custom ACs.

they're really cool. get some. yes.

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They look pretty good, but I've been largely avoiding them so I don't get sucked into another model line, though. Not having played the games, it's actually been pretty easy. I'll break that self-imposed restriction for the Tellus model that comes out in October, though. It just looks freakin' slick.

13. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with you guys as in I don't want to get sucked into another model kit line! I've been tryin my best to avoid this line but decided to pick up one for a "trial".

I haven't completed building it yet - all that's left is the chest and torso area but I like what I'm seeing!

My only complaint? Some of the parts are extremely SMALL! And one must be carefully when building them. There were quite a few times when I had small parts "flying" out of my hands! I had to spend a few mins looking for them too! :D 

That's one of the features of this kit that is trying me CRAZY! The customized nature! Armored Core's concept reminds me abit of Votoms (especially the fact that they are no "super mechas") but more sleeker looking!

14. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    I suck at Gundam, so I kinda avoid :) () it, even they look damn cool, as I feel I waste my money on a thing I can't build.

15. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Actually I used to have that fear also. The thing to build some of the Gundam model kits is pretty straight forward. All you need is a "decent cutter" and you're good to good and oh yeah, you need patience. Just follow the instructions and before you know it, you got the thing built! :D 

16. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Thanks liger, I might be picking cool looking one next week. :D  :p 

17. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

I love AC but stopped myself from buying any of the kits, as I knew I'd have to get the whole bunch of them then!

18. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Coming to this board is so dangerous. I'm constantly seeing cool things I wasn't aware of previously and find myself wishing my wallet would either grow exponentially or just go ahead and die already.

Those model kits and gun sets are going for cheap on BBTS right at the moment too.

19. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    After what seems like "forever", I've FINALLY completed AC-007 i.e. Crest "light" version (not sure of its really name. And I've thought I've share some pictures.

The good thing about the kit are:

i) Well designed
    ii) Durable - the kit feels solid
    iii) Detail - the sheer details on the kit is amazing
    iv) Articulation - nt as articulated as ML figures nor the latest Bandai's Gundam MG kits but passable

Bad points

i) th kit is pretty pricey - around USD$25-30.
    ii) A pain to build. Some of the parts are so small that I believe those with big hands will have difficulty building it. Definitely the MOST tedious kit I've ever built! LOL!

Front view

[​IMG]

Scale Comparison

[​IMG]

Shield covers for back-pack rockets "closed"

[​IMG]

Shield covers for back-pack rockets "opened"

[​IMG]

20. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

On the descriptions it says "pre-painted." Are they actually pre-painted, or just molded in color? That blue one sure looks like paint on the blue bits, but the silverish bits look more molded than painted.

I enjoy painting things, but rarely have the time to do it right so tend to put off my model building. If these kits have some decent paint on them already, maybe I'd get them for snapping in front of the TV for a few minutes a night.