Kotobukiya: Frame Arms

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ZeroEdge, Jun 21, 2009.

1. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I stumbled on these while I was browsing Ngee Khoing, they don't seem to be tied in with any video game or manga/anime series, they look cool none of less though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Cool. Do you have to buy the Frame Architect seperately??? The Gourai reminds me of a virtual On design and the Stiret looks alot like the main robot of ACE????

3. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V The token Asian one

for that price, they better include the frame with the armours.

4. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    There are 3 kits: 2 kits that have the frame and the armors, and one kit that is the stand alone frame.

5. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oh man, the main mech from Break Blade!!!!

Buying asap!

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I hadn't realized this thread was here.

My thoughts on the frame architect:

It definitely shows its model heritage, for better and for worse.

The good:
    It's a phenomenally poseable frame. The shoulders are fantastic with the way they're jointed, able to flex and shrug and move essentially like a humans would. The waist is jointed in a manner that the figure can lean forward and backward quite a long way, although (as near as I can tell) there's no side to side bend. Obviously it can twist, though. The figure has adjustable hip height so you can make it taller or shorter, and while outward hip movement is limited very slighly (no side-to-side splits/van damme poses, unfortunately), the overall leg movement is great; kneeling or even sitting in sieza is no problem for the frame.

The not-so-good:
    There's that "model kit" heritage rearing its ABS and polyvinyl head. It's by no stretch of the imagination an "action figure", despite coming in a window box all assembled. It's a snap-fit model kit that has had 95% of its parts put together already, make no mistake. Pieces will come apart while you're trying to move limbs, the elbow and knee joint pegs come out of their sockets VERY easily, and it uses polycaps for its various joints so it's bound to wear down and get floppy with time. You WILL need to sit down with a tube of glue with this, pre-built or not. In particular the upper bicep and the thighs are in desparate need of being permanently affixed, and the hands (which you put together yourself) have some fitment issues and will need to be glued as well to save headaches.

The rundown:
    It's a very cool frame and I'm excited to get my Gourai so I can see how it works with the armor, but make no mistake about it, these are model kits through and through, despite having the pre-built frame. I see the Frame Architect as being a great commodity for customizers, though, and I do hope Kotobukiya keeps adding to this line because I can see a lot of potential here.

Pics:

Photodump, GO!

[​IMG]

This is it!

[​IMG]

Fighting poses are a breeze!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The body is amazingly dynamic
    [​IMG]

Bird run! (Or perhaps figure skating) - The lightweight body coupled with the fairly robust joint system means if you can balance it, it can do it. This may change once outer armor comes into question, of course.
    [​IMG]

Iron man pose? No problem.
    [​IMG]

The extremely flexible waist really helps convey realistic poses.
    [​IMG]

-cue adaggio for strings-
    [​IMG]

Limber up...
    [​IMG]

Sitting crosslegged. Easy as pie.
    [​IMG]

7. autobotblaster

autobotblaster Y U NO!?!?!

WOW! :drool:  do want! Any chance of a size comparison picture?(maybe compared to a Figuarts/Revoltech/1-144 scale gundam? thanks)

8. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

The only 1/144 gundam I have is so abysmally dusty I'm ashamed to take a picture of it, and it's got a ton of spikey bits that I can't be bothered to dust around.

9. gaigar

gaigar Member

Extra Frame Arms

Due to an order mixup with HLJ, I have an extra Frame Arms Stylet kit. (The blue aerial mech) Still unopened, if anyone wants to snag it for $25 plus $5 shipping, let me know.

10. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Did an initial assembly (plan on painting this guy once the weather improves in 3-4 months) on my Gou-Rai kit and did some comparisons with the base Frame Architect unit. Overall: not too shabby!

Size up! The new feet give the Gou-Rai armor a bit of a "leg up" on the base Frame Architect.
    [​IMG]
    Note: He stands really stably normally on a hard surface, but not so much on my drop cloth, which is why I've got him with his treads down. Normally he wouldn't need them.

Comparing elbow articulation:
    [​IMG]
    Not a huge difference, but it's there. The wrists also lose most of their lateral movement, dropping from 180 degrees to about 10.

Shoulders - up and out:
    [​IMG]
    Obviously the presence of shoulder pauldrons cuts down on the massive range of movement on the Frame Architect unit.

Shoulders - front to back:
    [​IMG]
    Likewise, the chest and back armor cuts the phenomenal Frame Architect shoulder mobility down to a shadow of what it once was. It's still good for being expressive, but Gou-Rai wont be doing calisthenics any time soon.

Waist movement:
    [​IMG]
    Gou-Rai can lean back a bit, but not nearly as much as the base frame. He can't really bend forward at all, due to the chest and waist armor.

Kneeling:
    [​IMG]
    While the Gou-Rai armor can still pull a convincing kneel, it doesn't have the same gymnast-flexibility as the Frame Architect does. Still, not at all shabby.

In fact, the legs really still have a fantastic range of flexibility. I love the way his shinguards move to both allow a large amount of forward foot movement as well as support him in very deep squatting poses. You would be very hard pressed to find an armored figure that can crouch like this guy can.
    [​IMG]

... in fact, thanks to the design of the armor with its front and rear supports on the legs, he can hold more dynamic leg poses than the Frame Architect can without support.
    [​IMG]
    The Frame Architect is supporting himself on the Gou-Rai armor; without support he'd be falling over in that matching pose.

Likewise, the rear treads mean the Gou-Rai can pose in backwards angled poses, even supporting the Frame Architect while doing so.
    [​IMG]

And .. uh... what is this, I don't even
    [​IMG]

... so, yeah. Pretty neat. The added weight of the armor DOES make the joints move a lot looser, which is a bit of a concern considering that I know painting will add a lot of extra ballast and I can forsee it getting loose pretty easily. Overall though, the Gou-Rai armor manages to be a very cool model with a neat design, a lot of mobility (even if it's compromising 50% of the base Architect's movement, it's got a vast pool of motion still to draw from), and a lot of character despite its rather "generic" design.

If this were a metal frame like the SOC Spec Dragonar, this would honestly be one of my favorite toys ever. As it is, it's still a really cool model and I look forward to decorating it.

11. MasterScale

MasterScale Loose, comes with baggage...

Pardon the necro bump (and mods, feel free to move this where appropriate if necessary), but do you have to have the core 'frame' shown above before you can use the other kits?

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, the kits come with their own frames.