Korean KO C-301 Go-Shooter and C-303 Minerva

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Might Gaine, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Review of Korean Knockoff Minerva and Go-Shooter

[​IMG]

I was lucky enough to find some Korean knockoffs of Minerva and Go-Shooter recently. They're the same molds as the 1980's/1990's ones you might have seen on sites like this one:

http://pleasesavemerobots.com/scrambledcit...orbypost88.html

There's a Lightfoot knockoff in the series too, but it doesn't have a Powermaster, and the colors are really off, so I passed on it.

[​IMG]

They come kneeling in robot mode in strangely compact packaging. The packaging is actually a rip-off of another Korean toy line featuring transforming SD rescue vehicles called "Robocar Poli". The cardboard and plastic window are really thin. The toy is held onto the cardboard insert by a twisty tie. Overall, the packaging is probably the weakest part of these.

[​IMG]

Compared to the original G1 toys, Go-Shooter has a darker blue plastic, and Minerva has a black abdomen instead of a white one. The paint and stickers are different too.

They feel very solid in robot mode. You can tell the plastic they used was high quality, and the parts fit is good as well. One thing I really like is that they retain Go-Shooter's ratcheting shoulder joints and Minerva's ratcheting knee joint--If this were a crappy Chinese knockoff, those features would definitely be absent.

[​IMG]

Here they are decked out with all the accessories they come with. Like its predecessor, the Minerva knockoff's antenna are at a right angle compared to the original G1 toy. Go-Shooter comes with an extra shield (part of which becomes his rear bumper in vehicle mode), and Minerva comes with a very out-of-place looking sword.

[​IMG]

Although the chest covers open up, the Headmaster gimmick does not activate any stats--It's empty beneath, except for some molded details.

Minerva's head fits on really solidly, but Go-Shooter's is a bit wobbly. Go-Shooter also has one rather loose fist on the right side, which can't hold his gun or shield very well. One other issue is that Minerva's hands are swapped. It's not very noticeable and doesn't impede the transformation, and it's an easy 30 second fix with a screwdriver.

[​IMG]

They can switch heads like the original toys and they're even compatible with real headmasters and third-party headmasters as well.

Despite the couple faults, their robot modes are very solid.

[​IMG]

Just like the originals, the heads turn into little armored humans who become the drivers in vehicle mode.

[​IMG]

Here they are in vehicle mode. Minerva's light bar is removable, which is good since the original G1 toy didn't have one.

[​IMG]

Here they are armed with their weapons.

[​IMG]

I really like the look of Go-Shooter in vehicle mode, but Minerva is a little busy for my tastes, so I took most of the stickers off on one of mine. Now she looks a lot better in my opinion, closer to the real Minerva. Just for kicks, I tried de-stickering Go-Shooter too, but he ended up looking too plain.

[​IMG]

Overall, I really like these. I had almost forgotten that there existed a happy medium between the cheapo crap-quality Chinese knockoffs and the stupidly expensive "KO Replica" toys. These knockoffs hit that sweet spot, being not perfect, but fairly high quality, and available at reasonable prices. Plus they don't say "Hasbro" and "Transformers" all over them, so fans won't confuse them for the real deal. I definitely recommend this set.

I am selling a few of these, so if you're interested, you can buy from my highendtfs.com store:
    HighendTFs Toy Store: Welcome to HighendTFs Toy Store!

Or if you want to go through Ebay, I'm also selling them there (for a few bucks more):
    highendtfs | eBay

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    These look nice. I'll have to consider picking up the Minerva at the very least - the black looks good on her, almost as good as the real colours.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    these might be a purchase, especially since the real minerva is so expensive, a few mins with some vinyl and an exacto, and she'd look great imo

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Order placed. They look great, and will work well as placeholders until I can get back into the high end game. Great review, thanks!

5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Great review. I'm tempted to pick these up even though I have the originals. I just love the extra sword and shield parts. Can you post a picture of the shield as a bumper for the car?

6. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Oh, whoops, I didn't describe it quite right. The shield is two parts, the handle and the rest of the shield. The handle just becomes the rear license plate, which says "Police". The rest of the shield doesn't do anything. :) 

7. sirmiggs

sirmiggs Member

Thanks for posting this review! I actually picked up the Go Shooter from ebay before I saw this post, but it's nice to get such great insight!

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Just got the Go Shooter and Minerva and I agree wholeheartedly with the plastic quality assessment. They almost remind me of the official Korean Beast Wars product I've bought in the past. I'd have to recommend these two to any Masterforce fans and I'll have these standing proud with my God Ginrai and Metalhawk.

Might need a couple more BBTS Piranacon sets for the seacon drone action now!

9. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm very tempted by Go Shooter; back when I was searching for a complete Siren I could never find one decently priced. Makes me wish I didn't sell off my Hosehead a while back, but this would look good with God Ginrai at least.

EDIT: I know this is a Go Shooter KO, but I wonder how it would look with Siren's reprolabels?

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd recommend using them selectively. The robot mode stickers would work great, especially the faction symbol on his chest. Car mode, the Korean police car theme makes him look sharp and speedy. By comparison the big red blobs on either door of Siren just break up any sense of sleekness and style for me. And I have always wished the windshield "emergency" label had been a mirror image of the word, readable when you see this car coming up in your rearview.

11. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got mine in today..they're GREAT! Although GoShooter came with 2 left gun ears so hopefully I can get that corrected. Minerva is fantastic. I had to switch out the hands, as they were on the wrong arms, but that's easy enough, and then I made my own Minerva stickers to make it look like the real one..now to start on GoShooter..I just have to decide if I want to paint them proper colors. These are just GREAT!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ordered thanks to the reprolabels coming

13. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I received Go Shooter yesterday (thanks Might Gaine!) and I really like it! It had some flash in some spots but I used an exacto knife and got rid of it. Also the license plate/ shield handle was loose but I added a layer of clear nail polish to tighten up the fit. Everything else was fine, and I'm glad I decided to hold off on ordering Siren's reprolabels given appropriate ones are on the way.

I'm tempted by Minerva but I know I'll regret it. I never liked Nightbeat as a kid and I just can't see that toy as a female.

EDIT: Forgot to mention mine came with an extra right side gun if you need it TFPrime.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  14. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    ^this.

15. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Go-Shooter looks tasty...hmmm...maybe...just maybe....

16. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    ^dude, its absolutely perfect, the Minerva custom made stickers on the figure. Beautifully done! Make me one set? :D 

17. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does not look KO at all,sweet

18. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks..If anyone wants a sticker set before repors does theirs, just leave me your address. These aren't precut or on metallic paper, just white and need be cut out, but they look pretty good on it. As for the Reprolabels sets in the works, this is going to be a custom job and you're going to have to prove you have a set of these figures before you can get said stickers, Delta doesn't want people ordering them just to place on ebay etc.

19. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Just ordered a set! Will be repainting these and hope that I will be able to get a set of repro's on there soon.

Great placeholders until I win the lottery.

iDD

20. Avaran

Avaran Member

News Credits:
    Got my set today, just as lovely as in the pictures. ( except that my Goshooter unfortunately also came with two right headguns/antennas so that one of them is hollow from the front of the robot mode...any spare left ones out there?)

Else, they look great and will be placed next to my reissue God Ginrai, now I'm just waiting for the reprolabel set... :)