Konami sees little PS3 price cut impact

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rodimus Prime, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN0924355620070710?rpc=92

Konami going to Wii would be enough to get me to buy one. Silent Hill and Suikoden are two of my favorite series.

2. nectarsis

nectarsis I have ZAZZZZZZZZZ

Remeber, that article is over a month, and a half old. The price cut helped move A LOT more systems. The new rumor is that Sony may cut the 80GB unit to $500 when the 60Gb are all gone (rumor I know).

3. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

I got a Wii WAY back in the day...it's my friend ^ ^ I'd have gotten it again simply for the awesomeness that is the Virtual Console SUPER METROID, DONKEY KONG COUNTRY, and SUPER GHOULS AND GHOSTS?? *drools* I should go play now as a matter of fact...

*Scampers off to play his wonderous Wii*

4. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

See, I got a Wii, WAY BACK WHEN too, and it's been a brick for me. Got a couple games for it, played them, and there hasn't been anything i've cared for for at least half a year. It's about to turn around (Yes, about to, I don't want Metroid) but for the longest time it was a regret.

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Maybe Konami would see an impact on the PS3 price cut if they had any games released on the system.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll eventually buy a PS3 assuming that God of War III comes out and is PS3 only. If Soul Calibur IV is also PS3 only then that'll seal the deal.

7. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

Considering Sony published God of War 1 and 2, I would assume 3 would be for the PS3 only.

8. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Lol, I haven't used my wii much either. Mostly just sits there unless I'm playing the ridiculously long Zelda.

9. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

From what i hear the price cut was simply to get rid of the 60gb systems. Which as of a few days ago Sony no longer has in stock. However every store on planet Earth has plenty of back stock which should take the 60gb into early next year.

Unless they get a killer exclusive app out soon Sony is going to start losing even more ground and even more exclusive games. At this point I can honestly say there is not a single game on the PS3 that warrants the price to me. And looks like we aren't likely to see any of their killer games till sometime early next year. And Blueray is only a factor if it actually manages to win the format war. Which is likely to keep going another year as well. If Blueray loses then it becomes a novelty like Laser Disc and Betamax before it.

I talked to a few reps at the best buys in my area and they aren't even ordering any more PS3s because the damn things are clogging shelves so much already. the one closets to my house has twenty 60gbs on display as we speak and another ten 80gb. And they haven't sold one in a month.

Capability wise the PS3 is the strongest system. Its got the most graphical punch, more raw power, on paper it should be the winning system. But its overpriced compared to the competition, and its not living up to its potential. I think Sony has been focusing way to much on the whole "Is a Blueray player" and not focusing enough on the fact that its a gaming system.

Nintendo on the other hand went the simpler route of just putting out a gaming system and marketing the hell out of it as a gaming system for all ages. With the price, easy of use, and just the fun for all ages fell of it the Wii proves that their are still some gaming and marketing geniuses sitting in the house Mario built. Of course how long they can keep up this pace who knows, but considering they've caught up to and possibly passed the 360 in sales even though it had the year headstart continues to bode well for them. Now that the second generation of games, most of which better utilize the control scheme, are coming out I doubt the sales numbers are going to flag any. If anything Metroid and Mario Galaxy may even make the damn things harder to find.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

It is not a price cut, but a clearance price. Calling it a price cut is a flat out lie meant to once again decieve the ignorant public.

11. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I'm pretty sure SC IV is going to 360 too.

12. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Same here, I got Zelda with mine just after Christmas, and I still havent finished it, Im just about to enter the Sky Temple.

13. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

LOL.

You guys really need to play more Wii games.

It's not just good for Zelda ya know.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Excellent.

15. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

my list is
    trauma center, raving rabids, mario party metroid, wii play, bleach wii, wii spors, + my cube games....so yeah IU use it a lot.

I been using ps2 a lot more though granted gundam seed never ending tomorrow hasnt worn the novelty of me playing every mobilesuit from seed-yeah I like seed sue me-

16. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    What's the difference really? For the time being there is no difference.

Seriously? Heavenly Sword? Warhawk? Lair? And those are just this month!!

It's not over priced. It's priced higher then the competition because the system itself offers more.

17. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

@ the title: duh.
    if people aren't going to pay $600 usd for a PS3, do you truely think that jsut dropping it $100 is really going to make a diffrence aganist a system that cost $250?

you could get 2 Wiis(or would it be Wese) for the price of one PS3.

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The pricetag and the Wii are not Sony's only problems getting the PS3 to sell. Anywhere except Japan, if you want a more graphics-capable system than Wii and don't mind paying more than $250, you get a 360. The graphics are comparable to the PS3, and it already has a ton of awesome games--something you won't get if you buy a PS3 right now.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Soul Caliber 4 is coming to 360.
    I really think the Wii has a lot more to offer than just one game; Metroid and Paper Mario are just two examples.

I think if Sony had focused more on the games and less on forcing Blu-ray on the consumers this would be quite a different tale.

Its funny, but this is the first article I have seen that addressed "Its high price and a lack of attractive software have been cited as major reasons for the PS3's plight.

I feel that reinforces my argument of games over Blu-ray.

Heavenly Sword is not out yet. Warhawk is great. Lair reviewed poorly -and personally I have found word-of-mouth to be worse than the reviews.

Also, other than being a Blu-ray player I think it offers less than the 360.
    They are still playing catch-up to Xbox Live.

Maybe Home will change that though.

20. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Sony made the damn thing impossible for developers. Even if a game sells well it'll barely cover development cost.