KOLD "Double Shattered Glass" SG Prime KO

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Abrogate, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Got this today from Daelite's store. I'd heard bad things about KOLD's earlier releases, but this guy seems pretty good to me. The plastic quality feels almost exactly the same as a Hasbro release. Some of the moving parts (like the kibble that folds down the sides of his shins) are a little floppier, though not excessively so, and all the joints that are actually part of the robot's articulation are good, except the neck. It's very bobbly, though this might just be mine. The ratchet joints in the elbows are less ratchety, but still strong enough to hold his arms up. Actually, his shoulders are more firm than my real Nemesis Prime, whos arms frequently droop when I put his windvane cannon in his hand.

I don't have a real SG Prime to compare it to (obviously, or I wouldnt have bought this), and I've never seen one in person, so all I have to go by are internet pictures. I don't know how much lighting affects the pictures I've seen, but the shade of purple looks different to me. The internet pictures are consistently a cool, blue-tinted shade of purple, whereas the guy in my hand is a darker, more magenta purple. Again, I don't know if this is lighting or not.

If you're afraid of being duped by this when you're looking for a real one, there's no way. Not only does he have the extra "crack" on his left window, but the figure's subtle paint differences really add up. As I said before, the plastic color looks different, though I can't confirm that. But I can confirm that the paint aps aren't exact copies. Obviously, they didn't have access to FP's paint masks and color charts, so they're just sort of doing guesswork, I guess. On the thighs of the real SG Prime, the silver paint is very scuffed and weathered. On this one, it's just sort of smoothly applied. The little silver dings and knicks on his forearms and torso are different too; not a single one of them seems to be in the same area or shaped the same. The paint on his shoulders seems to be different too; judging from Seibertron's pictures, the little lines on the end of his shoulders seem to only paint the middle, but on this KO, the whole thing is painted. I could be wrong about that, but that's how it looks to me.

This guy is sort of a win-win. Like I just said, if you want an original, you won't get tricked by this guy. On the other hand, if you don't care about an original and just like the color scheme, then you'll be happy with this guy cos his quality is up to par. No down side to either camp.

I'll take some pictures later, I gotta get to class soon.

2. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Trying to get his colors correct on the pictures was difficult. This one got the closest to getting the purple right, but it's not an exact match.
    [​IMG]

SG Prime with the dudes he's knocked-off from.
    [​IMG]

I attempted to photoshop the colors to match how they look in person. But honestly, this isn't even close.
    [​IMG]

This one's just for fun. While I was changing the colors and hues, I thought to myself "SG Prime's colors are sort of a hue-shift from G1 Prime's... what'd he look like if you reversed it?" :D 
    [​IMG]

And here's a comparison to his legs with a picture from Seibertron's gallery. The shins are close, but the thighs don't match at all.
    [​IMG]

3. nelodiavolo

nelodiavolo Transformer Nerd

News Credits:
    This guy is freaking awesome! I also bought from Daelite and he is a nice guy to work with.

I was impressed by the quality of this KO. Paint apps were applied well and overall the plastic was solid. Joints were tight too. Nothing like the earlier Kold series I hear.

You are pretty much spot on with your review. I think the reason why his colors are hard to capture is mostly due to the sparkle in the purple plastic. The light can change the look of this figure. I actually like that though.

It was really cool of them to give us an alternative to the real deal, while making enough changes to keep this from being mistaken for the real deal. Well, unless you don't know anything about the real thing. But hey, if you are going to drop 500 plus for the SG prime, you probably should research. :) 

Oh and just a quick edit comment: your sig always makes me scroll fast when I am looking at the forums at work! LOL But I still look nonetheless. Haha!

Second edit: I just noticed that this is in the feedback forum. That's what I get for following a google link.

4. ang3l3s

ang3l3s Sixshot

Got one also and i think they painted the clear versions of the kold prime as the kibble on the forearms snapped right off in transformation, very brittle IMO so be VERY careful transforming him. Looks nice but disappointed with the lack of ability to transform it w/o xtra care.

5. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

The digital adjustment Makes him look like a Battle Damaged Prime - Kind of like it actually.

6. ang3l3s

ang3l3s Sixshot

Change my mind as another piece broke, i cannot suggest it for the price.

7. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Mine hasn't had such issues, but admittedly I've only transformed it out of vehicle mode and posed it a bit

8. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    if you look closely..the kibble on the arms is clear plastic...there is a round hinge of molded purple plastic and the rest of the cab is molded purple plastic...so yeah the kibble parts are totally clear plastic that has been painted...so care should be taken when transforming him.

I changed mine from truck to robot...where he will stay...

I got mine thru the acetoystore also...I think for $50 shipped it rocks.
    beats the hell out of $500 or more...i decided to pick SG prime up since i had won an auction of SG sideswipe, blurr and rampage off ebay last week...and already had SG Ricochet from an early ebay spree...i guess now i will have to acquire the other SG members....

anyway spot on with the review...decent Quality figure for the price...and i agree that his joints and plastic quality feel almost equal to SDCC universe nemesis prime.

9. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Yeah, the kibble is translucent plastic painted over... but that's how it is on all the official versions of the mold, too. I thought it made SG Prime's vehicle mode look pretty cool, even though mine won't be in that mode often.

10. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    oh. did not know that as i have never dropped $500 plus for the "official version" of this guy.

my left and right purple autobot symbols are a little fuzzy ...not really sharp and clear...but otherwise all the paint apps rock.

11. Abrogate

News Credits:
    I didn't mean the official SG Prime, I mean Optimus, Magnus, and Nemesis. They're all translucent plastic with the truck details painted over, in order to make the side windows not opaque