KO Slag - images and review

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by agesthreeandup, Nov 20, 2007.

1. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    I have never been impressed with this figure and think it is the weakest of all the Dinobot molds. The KO version came in today and I thought it would be a good idea to give a good pictoral review.

[​IMG]

There is not going to be any problems with mistaking this one for an original one. There are just too many differences with it than the original. Some of these differences are quite glaring and it is surprising that they were done to be honest. First off it is a totaly different plastic than the original. These Dinobots are done in a much softer grey plastic where the original ones were done in a more metalic grey plastic.

[​IMG]

Right off the bat you see some of the differences in the chrome. The KO version has many parts of it that are gold chrome instead of the silver chrome. I don't know if this makes it any better, any cleaner or any ........anything. It just is what it is. The lower jaw is all chrome and the two pieces on the Dino's back are also done in gold chrome. These are not removable parts so there would be no way to get these confused with originals. One other thing not pictured here is the 'wings' of the robot mode. There are two lines on the original version of the toy that are missing entirely. These are very prominant lines on the original so if you know of them, you will not be fooled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Many will be happy to know that the copyrite is missing entirely from the leg of this figure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It does have the Takara copyrite on the inside of his chest, this one is just like the orignal one but so many people dont even know it is there or think to look. The leg one will be good to deter anyone trying to pass it off as original.

[​IMG]

This figure also seems to suffer from the red paint syndrome. It flakes a bit off the chest but not nearly as bad as the swoop or the Sludge. If they do these with the alternate paint, Diaclone colours, I hope they fix this paint problem.

One of the problems I had with mine was the fists. When I first opened the figure and took it out, the fists seemed to have no holes in them for the weapons. Upon closer inspection I saw that there was a skin of plastic over the hole. I am unsure why this would happen, I figure it has something to do with the manufacturing process but all I had to do was poke one of the weapons into the fist and it came off no problem. Issue solved.

Another very good figure and if they are doing small things to make sure these are not mistaken for originals then even better. For those of you who want a brand new Dinobot that you can apply the decals on yourself then this is the one for you.

2. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    Other Random Images

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I love that its not exactly like the originals. I'd be all over getting some KOs of the dinos if they were diaclone or cartoon accurate, would be sweet to have it both ways (I'm referring to having both KOs and originals)

4. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Yup me too there Redline, as this does look different with the silver parts replaced as gold, but is it just the pics or do the heads all look there there molded bad?

5. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    It is the camera that makes everything look bad up close. It does the same if you take close ups of Hasbro product as well.

Super Mega Close Up Shot!

Spencer.

6. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    o.k as I can understand the whole pic thing making the heads look messed with your super high powered zoom :)  ,im happy to see they do have different colored parts compared to the originals so thanks for the review :) 

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

This Slag does look better than Sludge.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Amazing job!

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    daaaaamn, crispeh.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, I'm torn on this dude. I wish that red wasn't flaking off the shoulders. I feel the gold spines and flatter gray are for the better. I think I'm going to get Slag after the holidays.

11. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I actually like the gold chrome on this one. Not a purchase for me though.

12. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Any idea when you'll be updating kotransformers.com with KO Slag box differences?

13. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I said it in the Sludge thread, I am really liking this gray color. Maybe when I get a tax refund after New Year's, I will try to get them. Was Swoop done is this gray color as well?? I gotta go find the review for him...

14. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks again for the comparison review! I myself am glad to see the trademark stamp absent.

15. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    I think because of my lack if respect for this figure there were a few things I missed in my inital review. The review was for the figure mostly adn not too much else.

About a week later I took out the accessories for this figure. I applied the stickers which were OK but it is missing the factory stickers, just has the sticker sheet. Still makes the robot look ok, I think the only ones missing are the two that are on his back in Dino mode and the two that fit in the hips of the dino mode under the piece of plastic. Speaking of piece of plastic, one of the things I did notice on this was there were two pieces of same style plastic on the front arms as were on the back legs. This is a circular piece of plastic that covers the screw to remove the Dino legs from the figure. They are there to look good for the back legs but they are not there normally for the front ones as the launcer fits into the circle of the leg. The cap looks the same as the one for the rear leg but smaller. I guess it was a good idea they did this as the launcher with this figure was totally useless. The top part of the launcher is fine and hold the missile and fires fine. The bottom part of the launcher, the part that actually holds the launcher to the figure is missing entirely. I have now heard about this from a few people and I guess they are all sent out that way, not sure what they were thinking on that one.

The gun, sword and missiles themselves are all OK, nothing to rave about but nothing horrible either.

As for the figure itself, after carefull inspection, I noticed that one of the fists has not been drilled at all to hold any weapons. One fist was OK but the other had no hole in it at all. Again, i have heard others have also had this issue with their fists. The hole can be drilled out I am guessing but still, it should not be my problem.

All in all, this figure seems rushed. Details missing, parts missing and stickers missing. It seems that the idea was to throw this figure together as soon as possible and get it out into the public. I don't know why it was done this way as the Sludge seems more than awesome. I just hope that with subsequent figures (ie Grimlock) they take care of more small details and have a little more care in releasing their figures. With what these things cost you would think they could put a little more time into them.

16. Incesticon

Incesticon Beet Gugal

I also noticed the fists were a bit loose when extended in robot mode, but fit surprisingly tightly in dinosaur mode. The "wings" also feel quite delicate and you have to lift them very carefully over the dinosaurs "frill" (you know the thing behind it's head), when transforming him to either mode. I'm not sure if this was the case with the original. And does anyone know where I can get a fairly priced sword for Slag to replace the one they didn't send me with my KO?!?

17. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    These two figures came packed with the parts NOT under the Dino as they were packed with the Swoop and how they should be packed. Because of this a lot of the parts, swords and such may have 'leaked' out the sides of the box.

18. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I really like the gold chrome I just cant bring myself to buy these things.

19. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    OMFG! Kitbash joy! No need to tear a real Slag! :D  Just needs to be $5 and then we're set.

20. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Gotta agree with the majority here - if these KO's were cheaper, I'd buy them in a heartbeat, regardless of their differences compared to the original G1 versions. But for the price they go for out of the starting gate (ie: no time lapse markup), I expect dead-ringers of equal or better quality... which apparently is FAR from the case. Double the expected/acceptable price for highly inferior versions just doesn't cut it... which is admittedly disappointing since I was kind of looking forward to getting these.

Remember the good ol' days when KO's actually sold for low KO prices? :)