KO Sky Garry - does it exist.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CZ Hazard, Dec 2, 2009.

1. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    In my travels the last few years, I have been to Botcon and Auto Assembly as well as spending a lot of e-time on eBay. There are an awful lot of MISB Sky Garrys doing the round these days. I think they are knock offs.
    I bought one off eBay about a year ago for about £120, which is very, very cheap for a Japanese only toy of that size and time period sealed in box. While the quality of the toy is very good, little things make me think it is a KO. The stickers are the most obvious fault, as they peeled within hours of application, and the quality of the box feels slightly cheaper than my Star Convoy.
    But overall, it was just too new. The box is absolutely perfect. Even a magical warehouse find of a bunch of these would have some minor damage, surely?
    Everyone I've talked to seem to think they are all legit, but usually if something is too good to be true it is. What do people think?

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I guess it's definitely a possibility, since the Sky Garry mold has been reused quite a few times. Any way we can get some pics of the toy and the box?

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had a MIB Sky Garry that I purchased around 1999, then picked up a MISB one a few years ago when he started becoming a bit more prevalent due to that warehouse find. Having compared the two side by side, I can detect no differences of any kind whatsoever, in the box or the toy.

I'm convinced it's 100% legit, and if it's not, it's a far better KO than ANY of the others out there (Prime, Metroplex, Mirage, Dinos).

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    We get this topic from time to time. Putting this Sky Garry next to, say, my Grandus, my real Dai Atlas and my KO C-888 Dai Atlas, there's no comparison. Garry's definitely legit, or he's the world champ of KOs.

I can see where the low price gets your wind up, but there's just a lot of supply out there.

5. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    They're legit.

I had a reference discussing the issue prior to Geocities going away. Maybe I can still find it...

6. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, apparently somone found a warehouse full of MISB Sky Garry in china. That's why for the pass few years you see so many on ebay(cheap too). Heck the one I got from a seller in japan was so nice and glossy(very perfect). Very AFA worthy.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The only knockoff Sky Garry I know was really, really obviously a knockoff, so these could be legit.

8. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    They are legit.

Please don't speculate needlessly. It makes for bad information.

Every indication and person involved with the find has referenced these toys as legit.

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Like everyone says they are legit, the people who own herogangu in japan found them along with a number of grandus and victory saber giftsets.

10. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    In that case, does anyone have a cheap Grandus or Victory Sabre giftset they want to part with?

Okay, looks like I have a legit Sky Garry even if the stickers peeled within hours. Thanks.

11. Zress Tayasu

Zress Tayasu Axiom

tossing my two cents in... while I don't know about the market now, at one point I remember getting ahold of the skygarry mold in the US a long time back, in a package that most certainly wasn't TF related. I recall it being in the same set of toys as some action figures with reversable armor. going by memory... the only real differences were the micromaster carrier truck being white and a lack of anything that would mark the item as a transformers product, aside from the ramp and it's connection. oh, and no micromaster buddy.

12. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I'm not speculating. The OP asked if anyone knew of knockoff versions, I did, and told him about the one I knew about. Without pics or further knowledge, I can't be sure the figure is legitimate, but there's a significant possiblity it is. I'm not contradicting anyone else who's saying the toy is real, and if anything, I'm supporting their claims.

Please don't criticize needlessly.

So does this kind of thing (warehouses of older toys being found) happen reasonably often? Does anyone know what kind of numbers of these figures were found? What kind of circumstances led up to the discovery?

13. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    These suggestions may be a bit too convenient, but perhaps the same conditions that preserved the box also caused the glue on the stickers to dry up.

Maybe it was a warehouse find becssue it was from a later run of Sky Garry, and the stickers didn't quite have the glue applied properly (possibly reaching there).. also maybe just maybe, it might explain why the box feels a little cheaper?

Like it was said earlier in this thread, even a good knockoff would have some sort of give away sign.. and if people were going to knock off a TF, there are far more popular ones to knock off than Sky Garry.

14. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Its also possible the warehouse had poor ventilation/temperature/humidity control, and the glue simply started to go over the time the toys were stored, as I imagine they weren't all sealed in plastic.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Stickers on older toys like that do tend to go if they've been sat in a warehouse for a while. IIRC there was a Brave, Build Tiger, who was very easy to get for a similar reason. Stickers on mine were atrocious.

I'm wishing for one of those so-called warehouse find Grandus myself. I'm after Spiner the Micromaster more than the big guy but he'll be welcome in my collection too. I love Micromasters :) 

16. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    They didnt' have cases and cases like they did garry, They had pictures in their old yhjp auctions for garry that showed all the cases they had aswell as the grandus and vic saber giftsets. They were also shown on their site and stated they were case finds. IIRC vic saber giftset came 2 in a case and I believe grandus was 2 or 4. It's been a good 2 years since they were found.

17. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I do have a reissue Star Convoy. How much are these warehouse find Sky Garrys going for these days and is it worth it?