KO RID Autobot Brothers ?'s

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ravenxl7, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hey all. I was just over at www.ridforever.info, was looking at the pictures of the cheap KO's of the Autobot Brothers (Prowl, Sideburn, and X-Brawn), and had a couple questions come to mind.

1. Other than the color of the plastic and the paint apps, are there any physical differences between the ko's and the origionals? (like any mold differences for example).
    2. How easy are these ko's to get ahold of, and about how much should they cost?
    3. Which would be easier cheaper to get, these ko's, the origionals, or the Universe repaints of them?

Thanks in advance for any help with this. Here's a link to the page containing the pictures of the ko's I'm talking about- http://www.ridforever.info/gallery/Robots-In-Disguise-Bootlegs -. I'm thinking about getting ahold of a set of them to kitbash to look like the origionals for my collection. I figured it'd be cheaper, and probably a little easier, than trying to get ahold of the origionals. It's too bad I didn't know I would get back into Transformers, as I had a Prowl at one time.

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i don't know, prowl, xbrawn and sideburn i see all the time at BBTS for under $20 each, lol *both japanese and american version* so personally if you want them, i'd say check out ebay and want not, you can probably get them just as cheap as the knock offs, and you'll probably be happier with them as well.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Huh...I was looking at the typical price of some of the other RID figures, and had just guessed they would be as pricey as the others. It'll still be a while before I can get any version of them, as I'm still low on cash, and with Animated and Universe coming out, I'm most likely going to put any extra cash I have towards the figures I want from those lines. If I can get a copy of the molds for a cheap price, that would be awesome. Even if I have to paint them up to look decent. I'd even go for some junkers, as long as they aren't too bad, and are fixable with a decent amount of work put into them.

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd really love to get a hold of all Autobot Bros KO, but if you are just getting one versions of each mould, don't get KOs. I think their complexity make fragile KOs even worse.

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I got all 3 brothers (well, it's super Sideburn... But as far as I'm concerned, I like that one better) for like $20 shipped off the boards like 2 summers ago. Good figures. They can still be had pretty cheaply if you know where to look.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    $20 shipped for all three of them? (just making sure I read that correctley). If I can get them for that amount, or close to it, when I have saved up some money, I'll go for it. I'm also concidering getting the three-pack of Predacons (Slapper, Gas Skunk, and Dark Scream). I've been searching the boards, and they go for a pretty decent price. All I really need to do is save up the money to get them.

7. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure that's the deal that was made. I'd imagine it will be closer to $25 for the set now... But it's still not gonna be like an arm or a leg or anything. I still need to (yeah, 2 years later and I still haven't) take some super glue to Sideburn... He kinda turned into a floppy mess.

I hardly paid anything for my RID Preds (and Sky Byte) either... I think they were $12 total. I really like the frog dude... Skunk dude is ok... Flying squirrel dude is kinda like "wtf?"

8. Dolza_Khyron

i see a lot of them on ebay, with all 6 rid bros, along with various other figures, like scourge, for $10 right now, *all boxed* and the auction ends in a day or so.

so if you just keep an eye out for them, you can find them.

these are fantastic molds, i highly recommend you wait for the actual thing. even if they end up being the exact same mold, they will never live up to the quality, and awesomeness of the real thing.

look for, universe, and car robots versions as well.

bbts, has them for $25 each about right now. that's a little high so i'd wait on that if i were you, those are all sealed, but if you wait you should be able to get them all for under $20 each. and they are easily worth every penny. transformerland generally has some too, and try digital toys, as well. they normally have some too. especially if you'd take just a junker.

another idea might be to look in the junk exchange here as well, i'm sure there are plently of people who have the actual ones for sales.

btw, the american versions are edited from the japanese ones, and not just paint, the japanese ones have different headlights and what not.

just a suggestion :]

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try here first, once I get some money saved up. I'd rather buy them off of a fellow board member than an online store or Ebay. Also, I'm going to try my best to get the American versions. Not that there's anything wrong with the Japanese one's, just that I want to get the toys that I would have had if I had gotten them back then. There is one Japanese RID figure I would love to get some day, but that's only because it wasn't released here at all. If I do get the KO's, it'll be just for the heads for my "Classics" kitbashes of them I'm thinking about doing.

10. Dolza_Khyron

yea, well my point still remains the same, you can probably find the rid brothers, whether they are the rid, universe, car robots, or what not guys lol.

there are 2 sets of them, i believe, in the rid, the original ones and the "supers" if you go for the supers, i suspect they will be cheaper, but i'm not sure. i just know i got mine for pretty cheap lol.

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Eh, I'd rather get the original deco's. The only "Supers" deco out of the three that I like any one bit is X-Brawn, but even then, I still like his origional deco over it. If I don't get the origional deco's, I'll more than likely go for the Universe one's, though looking at it, I'm not liking Universe Sideswipe's deco for some reason, though Ratchet, Prowl, and Inferno look pretty good to me. I might actually get Universe Ratchet also, and end up with two copies of the mold. Here's another question. Is the repro hand that's been made for X-Brawn worth hunting down?

12. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

I've got a Chinese RiD X-Brawn knock-off, and it's such terrible quality (especially compared to the original) that I never even bothered removing it from the card.

With the Autobot brothers, I'd say you'd best stay away from KOs. Especially given Prowl's heavy parts, and the fact that Sideburn is hard to make look right anyway.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Just curious, if you never took him off of the card, how do you know how terrible he is?

14. Dolza_Khyron

when you see a toy in person, you can tell the quality right away, of the plastic :) 

15. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    The car brothers are very complex molds, and I would enver dare to buy them as KO since I know for sure they will fall appart inmedeatly.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    To be honest, I personally think that to tell the quality of plastic, you have to actually feel it, just not look at it.

While I most likely won't be getting them, unless I do end up doing my Classics kitbashes of them (even then I would only be getting them for the heads), I think that if someone were to put enough work into fixing up the ko's, they could get something pretty decent out of them.

17. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

You'd have to see it to know. Just looking at it through the bubble, I can see flaws in the plastic, and it's constructed such that it looks like if a butterfly wept next to it, it would probably shatter. I kept it on the card because the Chinese card actually looks pretty decent, and it displays well.

Also, I've had an authentic X-Brawn, and... well, you can just tell.

18. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I had a really cheap RID Sideburn KO. It seems he had a self-destruct button, if you know what I mean.

Don't buy that.