KO (read: affordable) Liokaiser questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Renidragon, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Okay, so through a weird train of thought I won't bore anyone with, I was searching eBay for Liokaiser.

I realize that this is actually a very desirable toy for me - I know G1 (and the Japanese only followups) are all bricks, but there's a simple "fun" factor there, in the bricky toys, in the scramble city combiners, etc.

I can't afford a REAL Liokaiser. Try as I may want to to buy genuine goods, I simply CANNOT afford a real Liokaiser. So I have some questions about various KOs out there.

As of this minute, I can find three Liokaiser KOs on eBay.

This is the first: http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-Vi...oryZ4694QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$200? Sorry, is a pass. I'd LOVE it, but can't afford it.

One is a WST version... nah, not really interested in something that small (and I imagine is somewhat crippled? I dunno, info otherwise would be appreciated).

Lastly is the one I'm looking at. So as not to steal bandwidth, this is on my photobucket, but it's someone else's picture...

[​IMG]

Now. This looks pretty cool. I have the Big Lots KO Defensor, and while there are some alignment issues (not everything lines up together in one mode or the other), and some parts are a little extra tight, but all in all, I really like the set. Oh, and the stickers SUCK - I removed all of them, I'd rather have the toys bare. Considering getting some reprolabels and seeing what fits and what doesn't... but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, this Liokaiser looks of the same calibur as the Big Lots Defensor I have... which is acceptable for a low enough price. Is the quality similar, better, worse? If similar or equal quality, whare are some of the issues? Will everything fit right, etc?

Lastly, and this question gets its own paragraph because it's a little different... Are the limbs - specifically the arms - interchangable? Could I get two of these KO sets and use the same jet for both arms?

Thanks for info. :) 

Edit: Of course, a fun alternative is also Might Gaine's model kit, listed here: http://cgi.ebay.com/G1-Liokaiser-Ka...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 which I may want to get in addition a standard KO.

2. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    the testeron version decent so ive been told and is close to the real thing as you can get. some of the stickers are off and thats about it $200 is a bit much but i bet it will sell, wheeljaxx is a good guy to talk to he is a big kaiser fan and can prolly tell you all you need to know about each of them

3. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have the set you are refering to and I like it. The quality is as good as the other KO maybe even slightly better. The stickers fall off so easily though. And once they fall off, they will not go back on. This set has been the worst as far as that but like you mentioned, I'll repro if I have to.

I remeber having a difficult time combining the body to the arms because the instructions on the box were hard to follow so at the moment I do not know if some limbs are interchangleable. I usually try not to use instructions but it got a little frustrating.

As far as the set on ebay, I think that is an authentic chinese set??? Some one will correct me but it does not have the decepticon symbols like the japanese version does. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that one. I do hope to own one some day but the KO set that i bought at the flea market for $6 is worth it.

4. Renidragon

One of the reasons I ask about the interchangable arms (I am a fan of symmetry) is this auction for the KO I added the picture for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIOKAISER-BREAS...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This quote: "Hellbat is replaced in the Chinese edition with a version of DoubleDealer who transforms into a Missile lancher and forms the left arm of Liokaiser. (or right if you want) (Note this DoubleDealer is smaller than the original figure which is 6 1/4 inches in missile launcher mode and does not transform in to his hawk mode)" is what prompts my question.

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

personally, i'm afraid to buy any g1's right now, especially with the encore's, we have no idea what they might re-release next!

6. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

the testron came in individual packs too, "metamorphs" on the packaging and "wan jiuh" on the sticker sheets. the last testron from somebody in singapore sold for $300+ !!!

the quality is better then the bootleg stuff nowdays but it was reverse engineered from a real figure so the details aren't as sharp.

the chinese one has that horrible cheap feeling plastic, yeah its like those other boxsets all over ebay. combination and transformation is decent but totally lacking the nice "solid" feel that real gestalts have.

i think this is on the big one too, but the small one has a tiny join added in leozack's nosecone which allows it to be flipped when combined into liokaiser so you don't have to stare at a landing gear and 3 screwholes.

...and i never knew this until i got one but liokaiser is much smaller than i thought. leozack stands about as tall as hook from the constructicons.

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

If you look at the picture of the bots that are arms, you can see that they have the same body, thighs and arms.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh313/ebaytransformers/lio4.jpg
    http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh313/ebaytransformers/lio6.jpg

So you can buy two sets and then try to transplant the plane parts from red plane of the second set to the body of blue rocket launcher of the first set. Apart from this, other major problem is that, not only are the figures missing their breast partners, they have no holding mechanism for them at all.

8. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

Actully, NO, you can't... in THEORY, yes you can, but the body mold is about 50% smaller than the gaihawk mold, and cannot be switched out. Also, just so you know ren, Every set you see on e-bay right now other than that $200 chinese version is a micromaster sized liokaiser.

The good news is, YES, if you buy two, you CAN give him a proper arm, but it will take alot more work than just swapping parts. The jets are build to be either left or right arms,so you will need to reverse the parts and re-assemble a guihawk to become a hellbat. I wish they did not scale down the doubledealer, this would be so much easier....

you can see the scale of the WST version compared to a G1 scale KO (not the chieese version) As you can see, i did the parts and reverse swap and it came out pretty darn cool. downside is that because of what you need to do to make the arm functional, you can not transform him into robot mode, or jet mode.
    [​IMG]

and yes, i'm working on scaling down my G1 liokaiser repro stickers to fit the wst sized ones. there are a floot of these one-bay now and i figure they would sell faster than the full sized ones... haha

EDIT, ok, so i stand corrected. i must be slipping.... a full size liokaiser KO scaled up from the WST version.... OK.. so by looking at the pics, the doubledealer looks the right size to do a parts swap.
    but i have to say, the wst version is still pretty kick ass.

so if this version is the G1 scale version as said, then my Reprolabels will fit.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  9. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I'm looking at the KO pictures again, and for the love of god, I can't understand why the makers changed the hellbat model. It makes no sense.

10. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    I used to have the OLD Testron KO. For God sake's, it was awesome! The box and the art were the same as the original one. The plastic was heavy, not like today's KO and all the breats force components were completely functional and could transform prefectly. I really miss him. It was awesome for display. The only differences were that the stickers were plastified intead than metallic and there were no Destron insignias just some stars.

If I remember correctly Sol Fury must have it. Hope he could post pics of Liokaiser and the box.

11. Renidragon

Geez, it sounds like I can't get a "functional" KO for a low price. Well, cept Might Gaine's model kit (I have the Landcross... colors are funky, but damn it was fun to assemble!), I may just have to go with that. That's kinda disappointing. :( 

12. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

that $30 one on e-bay SAYS it's full size, but i've never seen one in comparison pics. The wst version has lost details and modified chests where the breasts went, and this just looks likea scaled up version. For $30, it may be worth it. i have like, 6 liokaiser figures of various size and i do't think i'd want another, or i'd get this larger one as well just for kicks.

The model kit, that i have anyway, is not to scale either, and the breasts ARE NOT transforming. it's a wicked piece, when painted right, but seriously, go for this, or the wst versions. that $200 one looks ok too. i may bid just to get a complete jaguar, and box.

13. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I may look into buying two KO Lio Kaiser sets and switch out doubledealer