KO Pricing Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The whole point of bringing up the $10/unit thing was to force you to provide evidence. Your claim was that these KO manufacturers reap an absurd amount of profit. On the one hand, none of us is in a position to know, as there are just too many factors and unknowns. That's not to say you're wrong, but you are merely speculating. And because you're speculating, you're in no position to say what this KO should cost.

On the other hand, it's completely irrelevant, because we don't buy things based on profit margins. We buy things based on subjective things like market cost vs. personal value.

2. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Please keep these gems coming :lol 

I'm actually getting a kick out of this now.

Debating with Alucard is good because he at least puts some thought into his posts (though i disagree with them)
    But you... Oh man please just keep it coming.

3. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

IMHO it's all the consumers fault... and ebay. lol $100.00 for a Cerebros or Cog gun!? Are you nuggin futz? I think the KO makers are setting very high profit margins but who cares its better than the scalpers on ebay. No one said making KOs had to be a labor of love... ir did they I didn't read every post (so what)

I think maybe one or two folks posting in this thread have a vested interest in the KO market in one way or the other, just a guess, which is fine, great even. If KO makers keep taking such pride in what they do and striving for perfection the world can only become a better place. On the other hand a KO is always gonna be a KO.

4. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

You are looking rather dense. Diecast molds are damn expensive, you cannot make them from polyurethane or any other low strength materials. Its why most shit KO's replace die cast with plastic parts. EVERY high quality KO so far has had diecast, as does fort max.

5. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    awww, cute - self reflection

You really, really don't

oh...and when was the last time you saw a FM go for $3000?

6. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So you also know how long these will be produced...Man you are a fountain of knowledge. Please keep spouting away oh great fountain.

Alucard, you started the argument with conjecture based on guess backed-up by air and frustration, you then asked everyone else to provide you with facts to dispute your claim.
    If you want to be credible, provide something other than conjecture and guesses. Don't make a baseless assumption and then say "Prove me wrong!"
    process has it nailed. No matter what the base price is, the desire for this toy will ensure it's success.
    Given recent prices from Takara on smaller re-issue items, I say the price is fair.
    As long as the quality is there. If it is Big Lots quality, then NO.
    If it is HQ Devy quality...oh hell yes!

7. Blue Meanie

This

edit:treed

8. Grandum

News Credits:
    are you even talking about molds anymore? where do you get the silly notion that you can't use silicone or polyurethane molds to mold plastic? How do you know what the mold of an unrealeased toy is made out of? hell, the mold is probably not even made yet.

9. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You really want to try insults? After the uninformed baseless garbage your tossing into the air...lol that's ok kid, you go ahead.

Yes, yes I do. But thanks for playing. Your being carried on the shirt-tails of someone who can at least formulate a decent post. Your not helping him, other than making his posts about cost seem even less informed than before.

I'm not interested in Fort Max, if you bothered to read the thread, I want Grand. And 3k for a MISB one is a decent price ;) 

10. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OMG, You are one of the best trolls I have seen to date!

I love it, keep going!

Silicone cannot hold molten metal. And Molten plastic would destroy the mold rather quickly. Pretty easy to understand...No?
    Neither can polyurethane.
    All of the HQ KOs have die-cast parts.
    Your "arguments" are really making this easy.

11. Grandum

News Credits:
    Yeah, you know what - I stand corrected, clearly a small noname KO company is going to produce more FM/GM/BM than what takara ever did, yeah they're going to sell like 10 of those babies to every inhabitant on earth....(that was sarcasm btw, feel a pressing need to point that out) Use your head, ofcourse it's going to be a smaller run than what Takara would use its mold for...seriously, you should think before you speak.

12. Blue Meanie

Read what I typed again. All the high quality KO's, including Fort Max, have diecast parts not just plastic. They are made from High Strength Steel molds, that are damn costly. So costly HasTak indicated it was the reason the would not reverse engineer/make missing G1 items like Sunstreaker, Mirage etc. The KO makers reverse engineered them and used steel molds. Likely, Fort Max is being made the same way.

13. Grandum

News Credits:
    the term "duh" comes to mind, we were talking about the plastic molding, genious or did you think that its all like in santas workshop where you just put all the plastic and metal in one mold and shake a few times to get a manufactured robot?

14. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When exactly did I say anything even close to that?

Maybe english is your second language...or you are using some kind of google translator?

I actually specifically said that these will probably be a limited run, for how long, no idea. But as far as quality goes, you cannot produce quality plastic and die-cast without steel or aluminum molds

And if the HQ KO Devy is any indication of the quality of the Maximus' Then steel or aluminum is going to be the mold of choice.

15. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well oh great fount of all things toy and money related, how will they produce the die-cast? How will they produce parts made from molten plastic? Polyurethane and resin molds only work with poured materials. Poured materials have bubbles, defects, etc. Injection molds ensure you don't have those defects.
    My HQ KO devy has no such defects.
    Please enlighten my "genious" self (It's "genius" BTW ;) )

Does your mom know your using the interwebs?

16. Grandum

News Credits:
    Yes, and I agree - the metal parts can obviously not be reverse engineered that way, but the plastic parts can be.

Now, I'm guessing you don't own a Fortress maximus, hence the confusion - but fortress maximus doesn't come with a whole lot of metal parts, it's mostly cogs, feathers and the like that make his limbs click into place. most of which are fairly standard or can be reused from former ko jobs

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Good for a handful of SHIT quality KOs. Not for a production run of a decent KO. And as Sioce has just pointed out, not even suitable for the kind of materials that would be needed.
    Try harder.
    My point is that it is the more recent KOs that are of higher quality. I would have thought that would have been obvious to even the most uninformed troll, and yet you didn't work it out.
    Production cost? What the fuck does that have to do with the (as of yet UNKNOWN) plastic quality of this toy?
    So you honestly expect a decent quality KO of FORTRESS MAXIMUS to cost $50? What planet are you on?
    Or could it be that you were just trolling again?
    :lolol 
    He owns at least 2, actually.

18. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have seen a TON of KOs with fort max's waist...TON I tell you.

Now, I'm guessing you don't own a Fortress maximus, hence the confusion....

19. Blue Meanie

I don't own Fort Max? Hmmmmm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steel Mold are used for the diecast, its possible aluminum was used for the plastic. But High quality injection molded plastic is almost always in a metal mold.

20. Grandum

News Credits:
    Well, you insinuated that it was absolutely laughable that I could possibly deduct that it was a smaller run, ie, you think the opposite - I just overexagurated it to get my point across.

Yeah, english is my second language, but hey if you want me to make fewer spelling errors thenw e can continue our conversation in swedish.

Yeah, see we don't know anything about the quality - we don't know, it's that simple. It could be like the melted jokeresque city commander head upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.