KO Optimus Prime - Review with Pics

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by agesthreeandup, Apr 13, 2007.

1. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    I got in these Prime figures the other day and thought it would be a good idea to share some of my thoughts and some images of one of the figures. These have been avaialble for a while. I am sure many of you have seen them, they all come without the stickers on the trailer. I am told that it is because the toys are done at one factory and the stickers are done at another and instead of paying someone to put all the stickers on the toy after they are shipped, they just put them into the box for you to put on. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Guess it is good if you like to apply stickers.

Many have already seen the box. There is some good pics of it in the thread about KOs so I am not going to show a lot of pics of it.
    [​IMG]

It comes in a styrofoam insert. Figure is nice and tight in the insert and it is almost hard to get it out. First impression of the figure is quite impressive. Plastic is of decent quality. Die cast seems good and in all the right places. Most noticible is the trailer is in a much darker grey than the original one was and the blue is also a little bit darker. There is no bag for the instructions or the stickers, they are just in the back of the box. There is one big sheet for the sides of the trailer, two smaller sheets of the inside of the trailer and the original Prime sticker sheet with the cab stickers and the trailer computer stickers. The stickers are all very thin film, just as the original ones were. They all peal off with no problems and stick very well as well. You have to be careful with the sides of the trailer stickers as they are very large and very prone to bubbles. One thing that annoyed me is the lack of the stickers for the sides of the cab. The stripes that Optimus is known so well for. I asked about these stickers and was told that the excess of the sticker for the sides of the trailer was suposed to be for that and you were just to cut out the stripes yourself. Nice cop out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everything for the Prime seems very good. Joints are tight where needed, elbows and shoulder and the knees bend with very little effort. the hip joints and nice and clik well. This one seems to have poorly painted eyes but that is about it. All the ones I got came with the large fists and bloated gun. Chest and feet and done in metal. Very few complaints at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The trailer seems just as good as the cab. It was very tight and takes quite a bit of force to open up the trailer. Door is solid and clicks in place tight. The work pod lifs and lowers with no issues and the spring for launching roller is good and tight and will send him half way across the table when pressed. Comes with the hose with both ends glued in so no more loosing the small pieces, it is now one long piece that just seems to get in the way. Missiles come on the tree as four pieces and can be launched from the repair pod. Pod also opens for the small Diaclone figure if you wish to add one.

[​IMG]

This is an image of the missile tree and the instruction book which is just like the original one only not so wrinkled, well not like how mine is all wrinkled.

I got in 30 of these figures with two of them being the black version of this figure. Same as all of this only all done in black. Out of those 30 I have found a few issues. One figure had a piece of metal missing from the chest. Just missing. It was painted and everything so the chest was never cast completely I guess. One of the trailers was missing its door entirely. The one I took pictures of here had the trailer feet both the right side, not a right and left side so they are by all means not perfect. I don't think they care so much about QC as Hasbro may care. Still, they are very well done and I am very happy with mine. I may ask reprolabes to make me a set of the wickid Black Prime stickers like on Optimal Scourge's signature, if he does not mind because that just looks damn sexy.

If you have any specific questions about anything on these ones please let me know and I will see if I can answer them. I am by no means a Prime expert on versions and which one this may be made from. You will have to check with Fred's Workshop for that kind of information. Still I am sure I can ask questions regarding this figure.

Spencer.

2. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I need to get some of these KO's just for the trailer though.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    good job with the pics. nice n clear.

4. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great pics, he looks really well done.
    How much?

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I was ticked off about not getting the silver stripe stickers with mine. I did think to cut them out from the extra area of the trailer sticker sheet, and cursed the makers the whole time doing it.
    Do the wheels on yours roll smoothly? Mine seem uneven and makes it move like he has several flat tires. Also the head on mine pops off quite a bit.

6. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nice review...might get one myself.

7. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Hmm... weren't these shipping with the stripe and trailer stickers pre-applied for a while? For some reason I thought they were--like, I thought I had seen an Ebay auction claiming this, or something. I also throught that this version came with the catalog and white "poke here" small piece of paper.

Mine is from the earliest run. It doesn't come with any paperwork, and the eyes/windshield are based on New Year Convoy--both blue.

Edit---Some did indeed come with the catalog at least:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1-RED-Optimus-Prime-Convoy-remake-MISB_W0QQitemZ230116876781QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4696QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

8. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

boo to look-alike knockoffs! Boo to anyone who sells them.

9. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    I want to agree with you... but I cant. I mean, I wouldnt pay anyone this much money for knockoffs, but there are dudes out there who want to kitbash and not pay for a G1 Prime.

10. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    With the new reissues coming out soon, it's probably going to be cheaper to get an authentic reissue than a knockoff. These knockoffs are expensive.

11. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    I agree, too expensive for my tastes...

12. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    I agree, they are expensive for what they are. From what I gather the reason for it is simple, to cover the cost of redoing the molds and the low production runs. When Hasbro does a figure they do many thousands of them. These guys are doing smaller runs of 2000 or 3000. That would mean they have to get the cost back quicker so they raise the price. If you recall, the original sets of cassettes were very expensive initally. Now they are much cheaper to be had. What annoys me about all of it is they change the prices for me as well as a dealer. It is not like buying from Hasbro where it would be $40 to buy something upon release and then still $40 to buy it a year later. With these figures the price can change the next time you order and that is frustrating and unfair to buyers IMO.

I believe the Prime reissue was sold here for $54 and we have to retail this one for $80. Seems like a big jump for the same figure. I don't think the longer stacks should cost that much! I don't recall what the reissue Prime sold for in the US when it was released at TRU. Anyone?

I don't think selling these things is so bad if you state what they are and don't try and pawn them off as the real thing. People want them, bottom line. I think this is a great oppertunity to make them available without having to pay high on eBay for something you are not sure if it is legit or not. If Hasbro or Takara won't do a figure (swoop) then why not have it available elsewhere?

What I am curious about the swoop is the colour variations. I have heard they are going to do it in the gold chrome version, like on the box and then the blue Diaclone version as well. If this is the case, will they continue to have such a high price tag or will the mold costs be considered paid for and then bring down the price?

Spencer.

13. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

What is the year and place of fabrication of that thing?

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I got mine for the cool mint box. Eventually I'll open him up, and put my G1 Prime with the right bumper broken into the box.

15. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    China 2006?

16. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

It was $40 US.

17. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    In China, they sell for about the same price as the reissue Optimus Prime sold for in the U.S. Reissue Optimus in the U.S. sold for $40. When KO Optimus first hit China, Taobao sellers were selling him for a bit over 300 CNY, which is about $40 US. I'm not sure if the markup in the U.S. is wholesalers charging US retailers more than they charge Chinese retailers or if it's simply the standard import markup...

Right now Swoop is selling on Taobao for 380 CNY, which is about $50. That's not too far from the prices people are charging for them in the US.