ko now ok to sell on ebay?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by mac&cheese, Jul 10, 2010.

1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i see this seller selling tons of ko on ebay. check completed and i see lots of the same ko items. the prices are too high for me. but hes making a mighty good profit. for example defensor sets are 150.00 each, 1 mirage reg ver and 1 red version is going for around 150.00 a set. not bad huh? so is it ok to sell ko tf on ebay now? i really dont care about what he sells or his profits. im a ko buyer myself, so im looking for deals on ko on ebay. i also wanted to know, if i could get rid of a couple of opened ko that i dont want anymore on ebay.

heres the seller link
    gjr3280 items - Get great deals on Toys Hobbies, Music items on eBay.com!

2. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

It is against ebay policy to sell KOs on ebay.

3. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    Ok so it hasn't change. Thanks

4. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Age old discussion this - however, as long as it is indicated in the auction that it is a KO, I don't see a problem selling a KO. Plenty of people have done/still do it, including myself. I always indicate if it is a KO.

5. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    50,000 auctions its hard to monitor them all i think.

My main issue isnt the honest sellers, its the dishonest ones that try to play kos vintage.

6. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    i need a ko prowl, and i see his does not say ko. so the one hes selling for 110.00 must be the real one correct? or is it? now looking at it again i think all his auctions are ko tf. its the same super simple descriptions saying email with questions. oh well, people never change. i buy alot of ko and tarara stuff myself. but i do hate these people trying to sell them off as real officially released items. seems like exactly what this seller is doing.

7. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just got hit with a policy violation for listing some of those ghetto G1 combiners. I stated clearly they were knockoffs but still got hit.

8. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Some people say they dont have a problem with kos being sold. Its still against ebays rules to sell them.

9. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

LOL, they sure have a hard time enforcing their own rules. It took them a week or so just to take down those HM repro singles that were being sold. Heck, just look at those two Shockwave KO auctions. eBay can try and play the good PR game, but we all know KOs do surface on eBay. And a lot more frequently than would claim.

EDIT: Great example right here - http://cgi.ebay.com/G1-Headmaster-F...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4151104e77. As long as the evil "Knockoff" word is omitted in the title, the auction usually slips past the radar for a while. Look at this guy - http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item53e243c26a. He's clearly trying to pass that off as the real deal. Looks like the repro/KO version to me.

10. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    well they dont end all the auctions too fast. imagine how much fees they will lose out on.

11. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    any for sale? im looking for some of them. but the only thing is the boxes has to be in very good condition with no major damage, and still factoy sealed. any list of some for sale? :) 

12. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Of course we know they dont catch them all. At any given time there are 50,000 transformer auctions. I dont know how many people they have researching, checking the auctions, or investigating the reports... but it seems they would need a few people at least just based on auctions that our members here report. Just because they "slip" thru, or they arent taken down right away doesnt mean that the policy doesnt exist.

*edit* Ever look at ioffer? The kos on there appear to out number non kos by a ton. Ebay is a lot better about that and i appreciate it. While some of us can spot kos, i feel bad when someone gets taken on an auction.

13. Tirade

You missed the whole point. SEVERAL of those repro HMs sold on eBay before they finally did something. I'm talking about at least 20-30 separate auctions. At the very least. That guy trying to pass that fake off as the real deal? Pretty sure that was at least a 10 day BIN listing, if not 30 day BIN listing. My point is that eBay does not enforce their rules very well or consistently.

EDIT: Yes, I have browsed iOffer from time to time. Most KOs are usually listed as such. Plus if something seems to be too good of a deal, it usually is (ie - not listed as a KO, but a very low price for a MISB vintage item). This is about buyers doing their homework. Doesn't matter if it's iOffer or eBay. KOs will exist on both, in spite of whatever policies are put forth.

14. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    And my whole point is that just because someone gets away with it doesnt mean its still not against their rules. If a person shoplifted something from the store and isnt caught, that doesnt mean everyone has the right to shoplift. People shouldnt do auctions like that and fortunately some of them are removed. It would be nice if they were all removed but unfortunately ebay doesnt put the time in for that, apparently.

15. Tirade

Then what's the point of the rule? If you aren't going to enforce it, the rule is just window dressing. It's akin to a store security staff taking a break for a few hours (to use your example). Sure, the store has anti-theft measures, but what good are they when nobody is around to enforce them? They are rather superfluous then.

16. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Im not sure if you've ever worked in retail but security cant be around 24/7 at all points otherwise you would blow payrolls and costs would go through the roof. Someone sometime is going to walk out with that cd. Or those shoes. I assume ebay is the same way. Lack of man power, lack of people to respond to reports. I dunno about you but i dont want more fees put in so they have to monitor every auction every second. There are a ton of auctions on ebay.

Personally i wish they would change it to the fact that all auctions that are ko have to be laballed as such or you get a policy violation. Unfortunately people will still try to sneak them thru but the honest sellers would have a chance to sell. Provided hasbro/takara doesnt put pressure on to have kos removed.

17. Tirade

I have worked 3 years in retail. So I know a thing about the security involved. Depending on the store, there is usually more than 1 security individual (loss prevention) around. The security staff I worked with watched the store like a hawk. Between the cameras and store walk arounds, theft was kept to a minimum. If something happened to be outside the realm of store security, mall security was available. Worse came to worse, the local police were another option.

Again, if eBay is employing people to watch for KOs (and reports of KOs), they aren't doing a very good job IMHO. Our fees should be paying for better KO protection if they are going to outlaw KOs. At the end of the day, the rule is nothing more than a PR move to make eBay look good.

18. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Depending on the store is definitely an accurate statement.

Meh, it would be nice if theft prevention was 100% everywhere then my exgf wouldnt have had her car broken into in the past, this guy with the shockwave wouldnt have gotten ripped off (if hes paid), etc.

I agree that our fees should be paying for a better job. I dont agree with it just being a pr move or none of these auctions that do get reported would ever be taken down. And theres a number of them that have been taken down. Again i wish it was 100% perfect in their policy.

19. Tirade

Loss prevention is a little trickier with parking lots. Parking lots are somewhat more nebulous when it comes to store security. But I digress....

I still think it's a PR move on eBay's part. They still collect their fees and make a huge profit. To appease their rule, they cancel a few token auctions. That's the best of both worlds for them. They make a profit and can still claim they have policies against KOs. Look at that seller Mac&Cheese pointed out here in this thread. He has a ton of reproduction/ko items listed. He's also sold several of them in the past 2 weeks. It seems like more than a few are slipping through the cracks.

20. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    LoL. Sorry, the car thing was thrown in on my list. Wasnt listing it specifically as loss prevention. It didnt happen in a store parking lot.

I think the worst thing i was semi part of was when a woman was switching price stickers. Our loss prevention sat on the bench in front and told us point blank that he couldnt do anything because he didnt see every switch. (im messing up his exact reason but that was the general gist). This was 14 yrs or so. been a while since i was in retail full time. Our camera system at the time was pretty outdated.

As for that seller, ebay should take a hard line and prevent his multi accounts (if he has some) and make sure hes out of ebay after several listing violations. No one really knows how many have been reported, really.

I did work in a store later that had a very very nice system and had lp on the job almost every hour the store was open. However there was still loss then too.