KO Mirage - pictoral review

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by agesthreeandup, Aug 13, 2007.

1. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    I just got a sample of this figure with some of the Devastator boxes I had shipped out. First off I want to say this is the best full figure that has been done to day. The only thing that comes even close is the Ravage cassette IMO. Good solid figure and I can't find any problems with this one like I can with so many of the other figures.

The one I got just came with a beat up box, the figure, one missile and the launcher. I did not get the inner packaging, instructions, stickers or the gun.

[​IMG]

Paint is applied very well with everything being painted on this figure, including the 26 and the elf on the chest. Nice clean paint, well defined except for some of the red and white stripes on the top of the car, there is a touch of overspray in a few places with these lines. It is more on the lower leg parts than anywhere else. The Citanes 26 on the side is perfect.

[​IMG]

All the same parts are die cast as on the original and all the chrome parts are also the same as they are on the original. The die cast seems good and strong, unlike the chest parts of the Swoop figure.

[​IMG]

Copyrite seems to be the same unfortunately, making this a very hard piece to tell it is not legit.

[​IMG]

Rubber tires say Dunlop on them.

[​IMG]

Head has a great sculpt and both detail and paint are spot on.

[​IMG]

Overall - the best figure they have done by far. This one is worth every penny this time around. That is my opinion of course.

Spencer.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    "every penny" of what price? :p 

... and where's his mouth? honestly, I do not see it. at least not a mouth that looks like the real one's mouth.

3. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I hate to admit it but this might be the first KO fig that gets added to my collection. Will probably get the real deal one of these days, but this toy has been one of the few missing pieces to my collection for the longest time and I have never been able to justify shelling out the mega bucks he so often commands. Was hoping and holding out Takara would reissue him but I guess that's a long shot at this stage and this is the next best thing.

4. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

Thanks for the pics - it's very disturbing that it's sooooo close to the original figure like that. Buyers are going to have to be extra aware.

5. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

well, there's our TELL then!!

the white and red stripes that are painted on are SUPOSED TO BE STICKERS!!!!

6. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    The chest numbers and elf are also suposed to be stickers, that is why I mentioned them.

$64.99 for the boxed one - his mouth is there, I just don't think the pictures show it well.

Spencer.

7. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

yeah, but they were factory applied, so in pics of "sealed bubble shots" if you see the white and red stripes, you know it's a KO, no matter how bad the pics are with online auctions. with the chest, it can be confused because its expected to see it, even if you can't tell by pics if it's paint, or sticker.

8. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

Hawt

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    mirage is a very nice mold. a lil small, but looks excellent in both modes.

*hugz vintage*

10. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    when will you be getting them for sale?

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review Spencer.
    I wonder if Takara will ever wise up, see how in demand these characters are and think "Hmmmm... there's money to be made here..."

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's good, as a means to help people distinguish the bootleg from the genuine article. Even though I've got a nice G1 Mirage, I'm a bit tempted by this one, since I usually like it when stickers are replaced by paint apps. Might make a nice 'knockaround' Mirage.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Man, when they do Wheeljack they are going to be minted! MINTED.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    *hugz vintage wheeljack*

15. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah buyers will have to be extra careful. Wheeljaxx makes a great point though about how the red paint job-replaced stickers wouldn't be viewable misb on the original but are here, so at least that covers misb for people who know how to look. Bet there will be hundreds of people selling the figure, weapons, bubble, and box all separate on ebay etc. though. I wish it was just the figures being reproduced in non-copy-cat packaging. Then at $65 people wouldn't be trying to resell as much because the box would be worth nothing and a vintage can be obtained for less than $65.
    The unaltered copyright reproduction drives me nuts though. 'Moral' debates about counterfeits aside, stealing this stamp and the names of the two companies is super illegal.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Cool! But i might pass $65 is a bit pricy for a K.O!

17. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    Apparently I have to wait a month to have these for sale. It is an issue with who is to make the money first I guess. I get the feeling that certain people are not pleased with the fact that I am so vocal about these being non Hasbro pieces so I am penilized by not getting them first allowing other sellers to make the big dollars first on eBay or other unsuspecting buyers.

This is all hearsay of course but I don't think I am too far off.

Spencer.

18. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

This guy looks fantastic, but I have to agree... the copycat box and the INCLUSION of the original copyright is pretty disturbing.

$65 for a high quality piece is one thing. Overpaying cause some jerk wanted to pass it off as an original is a bad thing.

I want one... but luckily, I want one to play with, so I'm more interested in the KO, so I don't ruin a nice vintage piece. :)  I just... wish it wouldn't cost me so much money. :( 

19. BluRR

BluRR TF fan til I die!!

Looks pretty darn good Spencer...especially for a KO. I'm a huge purist, but for those who don't mind a KO...looks like a winner.:) 

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i think 65 is semi decent. a loose vintage will cost you 40-60.