KO masterpiece Ratchet

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Shanxs, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Insectabot

Insectabot Well-Known Member

That's me today, except I paid for it this morning and I want it by the time I get home from work :) 

2. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    File the claim through eBay... not PayPal.

3. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Finally arrived today! First impressions: the plastic feels cheaper than other MPs and KOs. The leg panels gave me trouble: just didn't want to fold into place. I had the problem with the bumper/waist panel not wanting to come out - if I didn't already know from Ironhide that it's supposed to move, I wouldn't have believed it was a joint at all. Had to use pliers to very very carefully dislodge it. My guess is it was assembled before the paint was fully dry. Like others, mine looked dirty. And for good reason: he was dirty. A rag with a bit of dish soap took care of that. Also his faction logo is missing hole in the crest just like KO Hot Rod. The stickers for his shoulders are pretty thick: there's no mistaking them for tampos or anything when you look at him - they're definitely stickers. I've got some leftover decal paper from my project with Downbeat, so when I next print a sheet of decals, I'll make sure there are a couple of red crosses on them.

Overall, I'd have to say that he's the lowest quality MP KO that I have. I don't regret buying him but he just doesn't feel the same as my other MPs and he wasn't as much fun to transform. Still I'm glad I got him. Hand feel sucks but he still looks great on the shelf.

And now I can do this scene :) 
    MegatronRatchet.jpg

I didn't notice anywhere it had come off but I had some white flakes on my hands so it was coming off from somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    Mine has left Chicago. I'm less excited but, Galvotron is in the same box.

5. Devastator21

Devastator21 Offical KFC/XTB Apologist

Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    galvotron?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    Galvon Klein

(The DX9 KO)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    I got mine from the yahoo seller... other than what looked like a smear of black paint on the rear of the vehicle (the hatch), it looks great! no issues other than the almost impossible heel spurs and silver gut thingy

8. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh God that's awesome! I hope TT pulls a MP Jazz out of their ass... I also wish we had a MP Goldbug to make that scene even more authentic.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's funny: I've been eagerly awaiting my Ratchet specifically because I wanted to pose him with Megatron. They had a great dynamic in the comics all the way back to their devil's deal in issue 7, to Megatron kidnapping Ratchet and forcing him to work for him to repair Starscream, getting blown up and fused together and sharing an inescapable connection right up until their deaths in issue 85 of ReGeneration One. Their relationship was even referenced somewhat in Transformers Prime when Ratchet was kidnapped and compelled by Megatron to work on synthetic energon.

Of course I also liked his relationship with Optimus in the comics. The way he worked furiously trying to repair Optimus after his death. The way that, even though autobots had been dropping like flies for quite some time, it was Ratchet's death that nearly broke Optimus to the point he was ready to quit and live in isolation on the moon.

And Ratchet was just a great character in his own right, playing a major part in several issues througout the comic. Being the last autobot standing after Shockwave's ambush and having to single-handedly save the day, his battle with the Mechanic, and the anguish he suffered when overwhelmed by mounting autobot casualties and his powerlessness to save them. His issues are some of my favorites and I'm thrilled to have him on my shelf... even if the quality of the KO is a little lacking.

[Edit] As an aside, I also have to say I love how easy it is to make Transformers look wrecked without compromising the toys at all by just opening up all their tranformation joints.

10. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

I have to admit...I see an awful lot of criticism for a decent figure that was only $30. I haven't had one issue with mine.

11. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

The criticism is fair regardless of the price. At no point did I say I regretted buying it. I'm actually very happy with it. But it is lower quality than we've come to expect from recent KOs and I felt it was only fair to report that. I will say that, if I'd paid the full takara price and gotten a figure of this quality, I'd have been pissed, but for $40, I'm quite pleased.

I'll mess with him some more tomorrow and see if, now that I've broken in all the joints, he's a little more cooperative.

Oh and I forgot to mention earlier that the missile doesn't fit snuggly into the launcher - falls right out. I coated it and the inside of the launcher with future and I'll try tomorrow and see if it fits better. Ultimately it doesn't really matter: I'm never going to display him with it; but I try to keep my toys in as good condition as possible and that includes the accessories I'll never use.

12. DoctorsTARDIS

DoctorsTARDIS Type 40 T.A.R.D.I.S.

News Credits:
    flipping the bumper: Don't try to use pliers, with the whole chest exploded before you start putting it together transforming it, there's a slot you can stick a flat head screwdriver into that'll give you the leverage you need.

Mine is terrible. The paint is fine, the tolerances are VERY NOT OK.
    There are quite a few joints where the parts are too big for the hole they go in. The mushroom pegs in the arm swivels are too big. I need to shave them down, for now I just have the arms loosened. The inner workings of one of the knees. on one side once I bent the knee to 90 degrees, there was no getting it back without shaving some plastic off. Both those I managed to fix. But the one that I can't... The leg panels. The ones that cover up the back of the legs in robot mode are too big for the hole they attach into. Where the pin runs though they look like this \H/ instead of |H| and it resulted in one side breaking. I'll amend this later with pictures. I cannot recommend this figure. The KO ironhide was mostly great. But this figure, no. Not at all.

13. Devastator21

Devastator21 Offical KFC/XTB Apologist

Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    thanks for playing the ko lottery

14. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime Female G1 and Masterpiece collector

So I'm painting my ratchet comic colors as well will post pics when I'm done. But I was installing the noneff hip kibble fix and it does not fit on the ko. Specifically the end piece that connects to the quarter panel behind the front wheel. The ko has a wider hole for the pin which does not allow a tight fit. It doesn't hold at all. So I thought I'd warn you.

15. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

I just played with Ratchet again, transforming him to vehicle mode and back to bot, to see if the first tranformation broke him in a little. Happy to report that the leg panels and the front and rear bumper pieces work just fine now. As I said yesterday, I suspect they were assembled before the paint had fully dried/cured so they siezed up. The leg panels are a little easier today too but still extremely tight. I didn't notice yesterday but his bicep swivels are also insanely tight. The future I put on the back of the missile and inside the launcher wasn't enough: it still falls right out; so I gave it another coat and I'll check it again tomorrow.

All in all, I'm satisfied, though I have to say, if you handed me KO Ironhide and told me it was a genuine Takara, I'd believe you (aside from the lack of faction logo, of course). If you did the same with Ratchet, I'd call BS. Also I'm really hating the shoulder stickers. Might have to find an excuse to use up a sheet of decal paper soon.

16. CETERUS PRIME

CETERUS PRIME Well-Known Member

Got notification of my full refund from Ebay to my Paypal account today, should be in my account in 2 days. Thanks again for telling me about this ! I was having a real difficult time getting this resolved through Paypal.

17. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Got my ko Ratchet today. He's decent but not as good as my Ironhide. Paint was a tad liberal in the hinge/joint areas but not a huge issue. My biggest complaint would probably be that the Autobot emblem is off center and slightly crooked. I'd rather they didn't do it at all so I could've put my own on, as I'm worried that I'll mess up the white paint underneath if I try to removed the tampo one. :( 

18. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime Female G1 and Masterpiece collector

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  19. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    Mine will be here tomorrow.

20. ARSone24

ARSone24 TFEW Revo

Ebay:
    Just got my KO in and well its def a KO. This is the first KO that feels like a KO if you know what I mean. The plastic is diff for sure, the leg tabs on mine were almost impossible to move to the point where I thought I was going to break it. The faction symbol is crooked too. On the plus side no warped side panel like some noted and hey I paid $36 bucks Im not gonna complain too much. Hes gonna be doing the same thing my 90 dollar IH is doing, standing in a display. I consider this a victory!!

• Like Like x 1