KO mania at Big Lots

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by DeathFrogurt, Jul 19, 2007.

1. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

I walked into Big Lots and I saw the biggest number of knockoffs I've ever seen in my LIFE. It was out of control! I managed to limit myself to 4 purchases, after an hour's deliberation. How is the quality on the following:
    KO Optimal Optimus
    KO TM2 Megatron
    KO Lio Convoy (w/ sparkles in the translucent parts)
    KO yellow/orange Devastator (smaller than normal- WST sized?)

It's worth noting that besides the accurately colored OpOp and TM2 Megs, there was also a red white & camo colored OpOp and a black & grey Megatron.

BTW here are the ones I passed up:
    RID Megatron
    Micromaster Sixtrain, Sixbuilder, & Sixwing (each with a 7th Micromaster!)
    BWII Heinlad (no alarm clock)
    Yellow Constructicon set (regular size)
    Aerialbots set (I have the Easter basket set- are these better quality?)
    Protectobots set
    Not-quite Insecticons set of 4 (bought them once- they suck)
    Not-quite Dinobots set of 4 (
    Up-sized TM Rattrap
    3 very Japanese-looking sets of combining robots (Twist&Change Super Hyper Robot- any info on these? I wanted one of them so bad)
    BW basic-size Sonar, Scarab, & Spittor

This was the Glen Burnie MD Big Lots. Mostly I want to know the quality on the 4 I bought & whether I should return 'em, but more info's good too.

2. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Actually, that '7th micromaster' is a gobot.

Carry on.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The micromaster combiners are of very good quality, nearly that of the originals. For $5, you can't go wrong on them. I have all the originals, and I bought KOs of all that I saw at Biglots. I then stickered them into the alternate faction of the originals, they display together nicely.

I also have the Protectobots set, they are decent quality as well, but could use some paint. Why did they make the motorcycle's tires red?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  4. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Most of the BW KOs are pretty junky. Cheap plastic and won't hold up well. I've not seen the micro combiners with the extra bots. The full size combiners are all the same quality. Just my $.02.

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

[​IMG]

6. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

DF:

Most of these are familiar.

Worth noting:

-Quick Change's not-quite-Insecticons seem to be from at least 2 separate lines. There are several junky ones (the green grasshopper, blue/black beetle, red dragonfly, and yellow wasp, found in the multipack) and several that are actually quite durable and good (six-armed mosquito femmebot, yellow ant, green praying mantis, and butterfly). These last four are not sold in the multipacks, but individually carded, and I believe were also sold once as Insect2Sides during the BW era. I have looked in vain for the Insect2Sides moth among these.

-KO "WST Devastator" is quite good. I have also found him in green, at Tuesday Morning stores.

-The small Aerialbots have floppy arms. Most Quick Change stuff seems to work poorly where much friction is required. This is especially bad for the BW KOs, which rely heavily on friction-dependent ball joints. The G1 Silverbolt is not bad. His base-mode launcher functions.

-The Protectobots and small Combaticons, I have found, are both of good quality for knockoffs, though not on par with the real thing. At 2/$1.99 they have great drone-army potential.

-If you see the "Animal Robot Fighter" or "Ultra-Bot" (God Max KO), I recommend them. A.R.F. has weak individual robot modes, but an awesome gestalt, and the
    Ultra-Bots are good all around.

I am very curious to see what this Super Hyper Robot is about, since I don't recognize that name.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I saw these at Big Lots! for $15 each yesterday (my apologies in advance for the crummy, blurry cell phone photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't get one, so I'm not sure if the center piece is even a TF (it looked like just a solid piece), but the arms are oversized Vector Prime Legends and the legs are oversized Sunstorm Legends. There are no fists or feet parts either, however it seems cool in its own right. :) 

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  8. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Wow bizarre. Time to hit up a Big Lots then to see what kinda new badness they have. :) 

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well, like I said, I didn't pick one up, but from what little bit I could tell from looking at the toy, the plastic looks very brittle. That's just my speculation at best though. :) 

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If the beast wars stuff was from the animism defender line, you might want to check out at least the lio convoy. The plastic sucks, and all the features are gone, but its not a bad likeness of him, with glittery yellow plastic.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, that's a cool toy. The quality on those toys are pretty decent. Someday, I'd like to get an official version though. :) 

12. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

The sets of five combining robots (such as drill tanks or red jets) are Machine Robo Rescue KOs. That's the 2000s sequel to Gobots/Machine Robo. I think they are available in three different sizes. No idea if they're any good.

That one that there's pictures of here looks interesting, I haven't seen it before (but most described here I have seen). Might have to hit up Big Lots.

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The Machine Robo combiners I do have and they're pretty cool. I'd recommend them, and from what I remember one could pick up for a pretty cheap price.

14. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    ^ This

15. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I need to pick up a KO Devastator eventually. The Big Lots here never has anything good anymore.