KO Liokaiser vs The Real One; Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Th0r4z1n3, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    The vintage Metamorphs/Taiwanese KO, not the cheap miniature set you can get from Big Lots. LOL

So after being on the hunt since 05-28-2009 (I know because I made a post about it), I was finally able to snag a Metamorphs Hellbat to complete my Metamorphs Liokaiser. To be clear, the entire figure consists of the Taiwanese KO figures, I've had the chance (more than once) to purchase a real Hellbat but passed on them in lieu of the Metamorphs version. The quality on these are top notch, and supposed to be identical to the real deal, the only difference is the stickers.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I do collect vintage KOs. I'm curious what the thoughts are on a completed KO figure verses one that's mixed. I know a complete Takara one is ideal. I know many collectors will substitute the Metamorphs versions for the Takara ones to complete their Liokaisers (especially for the Breast Masters) but I don't think I've ever seen one that consisted of only the Metamorphs figures.

I'm curious as to the thoughts on these in terms of rarity & price, especially since it seems that the Metamorphs Hellbat shows up less often than the real one.

2. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I had a friend last year who was trying to sell his Metamorphs giftset last year at Botcon, The quality of the knockoff is very good, I believe on one the jets the British flag is on the wings. Once people found out it was a knockoff people were not interested. I forgot how much he was asking for it, might have been 300-400$

3. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    Vintage KO is a very niche market. Was you're friend set up in the dealer room? I probably would have snagged it up if I would have seen it (although I was pretty broke by the end of the show).

4. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    This is the "Sl" / "Testron" one, right?

I was under the impression that the quality is comparable?

There was also a 'theory' that it used the actual original mold for LioKaiser, and missing molds are part of the reason the European rescue force repaints were missing two toys.

Take the above paragaraph with a pinch of salt.

5. combaticon164

Yes he was, it was the Botcon in Orlando, he still has it now. Knockoffs from the 80's were actually pretty good products. I only own one knockoff and thats the Kingdam Robogun that actually predates Masterforce Browning and is the knockoff of the Diaclone version.

6. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually remember that dealer, and that exact set you're speaking of. I almost pulled the trigger on it until I saw it was the KO.

And yes, the quality is about as top notch as you can get for a KO. If I remember, I thought the quality on Hellbat's cockpit felt funny, but the rest is nice and solid.

The vintage KO thing is a weird business. I sold a vintage Diaclone Blitzwing once, and that got like 50 bucks incomplete. Even the microx reflector's will bring in a decent amount. On a moral basis, I'm actually somewhat ok with these, mostly because they're easy to tell apart from the originals, unlike the current batch of G1 Knockoffs coming out.

7. combaticon164

Kewl, there were a couple of people interested in it, I think a easy way to tell them apart is that the indiviual robots faces are not painted. I dont think they have the Takara stamp either.

8. Sanchimaru

Sanchimaru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to have the Metamorphs release as a kid, and they were perfectly good. In fact, they are amongst the ones that have survived, and I used to play a lot with them, since they are such an awesome team, with the breast force companions and all. I lost Leo Kaiser's head, which is a pity.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  9. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    Not sure if they refer to them as the SI/Testron version or not but this is the one I won and they all share the same box style and brand name.

Hellbat Transformers g1 Liokaiser Kronoform MIB Taiwan - eBay (item 380361397230 end time Aug-13-11 11:16:37 PDT)

I've always wondered about some of these vintage KOs being stolen or even licensed releases before Hasbro came into the picture. A LOT of them have almost identical quality to the official versions. Some of them like these and the Cassette Man KO just seem too spot on to be KOs.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  10. combaticon164

Do these even have the Takara stamp on them?

11. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    I don't recall, I'll have to check when I get home.

12. ALEXD3498

ALEXD3498 Godmaster

Darn i would have bought it but i didnt see it when i was there

13. unicron nemesis

unicron nemesis Infinite Black Photog

News Credits:
    The vintage bootleg Liokaiser boxset was very well made IMO. I own both the bootleg and the vintage boxsets and I must say the quality is pretty comparable. I have the comparison pics stored somewhere...

[​IMG]

14. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

mine is the Testron alrite. beat up box, but with the lowest among price tags, I was smiling from ear to ear
    [​IMG]

15. combaticon164

Its to bad that reprolabels doesnt make labels for Liokaiser.

16. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

I kept on asking them at one particular time via email. They told me they are too busy too come up with it, due to Botcons n stuffs. I guess it's never a priority to them

Anywayyy..I snatched myself a repro from ebay few weeks ago. cost me around 10usd

[​IMG]

17. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow this is an expensive KO. if i can get a ko vs the real one for a fraction, but if im gonn invest already 400 bucks i would almost invest in the real deal, idk.

18. combaticon164

Yeah I got the set almost 2 years ago from a guy in Canada. The only drawbacks are that he yellow doesnt match with the stock yellow decals from the vintage Liokaier and that you have to cut them out .

19. combaticon164

Yeah, I think the real Liokaiser is going for 800-900$ now whether its the giftset or the indiviual sets. The Breast animals are a pain to try to find.

20. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

Mine got custom painted by a friend. Only that I hope the labels won't go unmatched with the paint scheme