KO Henkei Thundercracker (with Pictures) and how to tell the difference

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Sizzle, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Since I bought two of the KO Henkei TCs, people have been asking me to review them so they'll know whether or not to purchase them. Here goes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the KO (left) standing next to the legit original Henkei Thundercracker (right). As you can see, there aren't a lot of differences between the two. The differences are mostly very very subtle. As you can see, though, the actual Henkei figure has its launchers held onto its arms by rubber bands, whereas the KO is actually able to support its own launchers. Your mileage may vary, though, as the launcher port on the KO's right arm (your left) is a little loose, but nowhere near as loose as the actual product.

To be perfectly frank, this KO is perhaps the best KO I have ever seen. It is sturdy, the transformation process is fluid, and the plastic quality feels like the real deal. I had no issues in transforming it, and it's actually a bit less floppy than the Henkei version. The only joints I thought were too stiff were on the bottom right tailfin, which took a little more pressure to fold up than I was comfortable with. Otherwise, the figure fits together in both modes quite comfortably. All in all, the KO has BETTER paint apps than the original, and holds its launchers better.

The only real problem was that one of the launchers was broken and the missile won't fit in correctly. A simple fix, really.

Simply put, if you want Thundercracker and can't afford the Botcon or Henkei versions, this guy is the one for you, and the price is unbeatable.

Now...I imagine a lot of you are wondering how you can avoid being taken in and buying the KO thinking you are getting the real deal. Well, I'm glad you asked, because I'm about to tell you how you can tell the difference between the two:

[​IMG]

The real Henkei version has a notch in the "knee pad" of TC's leg. The KO is perfectly squared.

[​IMG]

As you can see from the back of the two TCs' wings, the red on the Henkei version is a much lighter color. This is most noticeable on the wing backs, but is true for the whole figure. The KO figure's red is a much deeper red. Also, I feel like the blue on the KO is a tad deeper blue, and I'm quite sure that the cockpit is a MUCH deeper amber color.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the alignment of the Decepticon sigil on the front of the wing is a bit off. That's only true on one wing of my KO, so I'm not certain that this is common to each figure. However, it is one of the few differences that can be detected BEFORE opening the packaging.

[​IMG]

This one is a dead giveaway. It's so small, it's almost unnoticeable, but there is a notch on each seeker's shoulder. On the real deal, the notch compromises the silver swatch. It's this way on every seeker that I have, including other KOs. But on this KO, the notch is significantly lower on the shoulder and doesn't cross into the silver swatch at all.

All things considered, I recommend this KO to people who don't have Thundercracker and can't afford him. And I hope this review helps those of you who want to know the difference.

2. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Good to know theres a way to tell before a pricey purchase, thanks.

3. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

Thanks for the comparison Sizzle. I'll probably be picking up a KO once a little more cash comes my way.

4. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    First of all, let me just say great comparison photos. Now on to the differences.

I have owned a legit Henkei Thundercracker(as well as Henkei Skywarp) since Day 1 and the packaging on both of them have always had Starscream's picture on the back of the card. Only the front of the card, front paper insert, and tech spec are tinged in Blue or Black for the respective figures.

The easiest giveaway is the knee and shoulder groove on the legit figures. Hopefully no one shopping for the real deal will get suckered based on these photos.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I never liked the Hasbro Skywarp's colors, I might consider buying his KO. I'm happy with my Botcon Thundercracker though

6. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Thanks for pointing that out. I couldn't remember if my original Henkei TC had Starscream on the back or not. For some reason, I was thinking no.

7. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I should also note that the trademark stamp won't help you either. The KO has a HasTak trademark stamp that is exactly the same as the Henkei.

8. Quicky

Quicky TRANSFORM and ROLL OUT!!!

Ebay:
    Geezus...with all these KOs hitting the market, I just want to know why NO-ONE, I mean NO-ONE has come out with a generic purple seeker.

There is just no love...

9. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    While I don't have an original to compare it with, I will say the Henkei Ghost Starscream KO has the proper knee and shoulder divots, in the correct spots to match the original seeker mold. So the Ghost KO might be harder to distinguish from an original.

10. Coaxial

Coaxial Hop on the beam

Interesting stuff... if not also a tad depressing, lol. I paid around $180 for a legit Henkei TC back in January of this year, and it was plagued by all the usual crap I'd heard/feared before buying one at the 11th hour - floppy wings and legs, launchers wouldn't fit snugly in the shoulder pegs, sloppy-ass paint apps... you name it.

A few clear nail polish applications, some screw tightening and sharpie paint pen touch-ups later, and he was much more up to snuff. Still though - to be able to get a figure of essentially BETTER quality out of the package in an unlicensed KO for around a mere $30-40 is just a real pisser after the fact. But such is life.

I don't have a Henkei Skywarp (just the Hasbro one that came with Naked Magnus, lol) or a Ghost Starscream though, so I am thinking about grabbing those and saying to hell with the prices the real Henkei versions are fetching. No point really, since it would appear the quality is more or less about the same, if not perhaps marginally better.

11. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Yeah, I also got the Ghost Starscream, and he's similar quality, though the plastic is clear and therefore more subject to breakage. Ghost Starscream also doesn't have the notch differences on the shoulders and legs, so I don't know how to tell folks to determine real vs. fake on that one.

12. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review, glad to hear I've not wasted my money on finishing my Decepticon Jet Squadron.

13. VERT

VERT Bumblemus Prime

Anyone know where I can get a KO Thundercracker please :D 

14. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    this^

thanks for pointing out this stuff as i am quite sure their are 2 knockoffs on ebay right now being sold as the real deal

15. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

They're available through Chimungmung, KOToys.com and Taobao. I got mine through Taobao.

16. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

That's why I posted it. Before you buy a Henkei TC for a big sum of money, ask for close up pics of the arms and legs.

I'm not fussed if people want to buy KOs. I buy them all the time, and I bought two of these: one for myself and one as a gift for my brother-in-law. I just hate to see people exploited on the aftermarket by paying full authentic value for something that is KO.

17. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

Good news about the quality! My Thundercracker is en route, and it looks like I'll spurge for the Skywarp too, when funds allow.

18. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    nice, now we just have to wait for a Rodimus in black

19. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I understand the concept of buyer beware, I have feeling an SG Rodimus or Henkei Wildrider KO will stir up more emotion considering their current aftermarket prices.

20. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Anyone asking these in the US so shipping is not so obscene