KO = good, 3:rd party = good, igear = bad?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grandum, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The general consensus seems to be that KO products are good because they offer you the toys you want at affordable prices

It's also the general consensus that 3:rd party toys from for example fansproject are phenomenal and a real blessing to the TF community.

Yet igear catches flak for their products...I'm not really sure how this adds up. I for one would be thrilled if they made a Jizaitoys Powerglide KO in scale with classics Bumblebee

what are your thoughts?

2. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally for me also igear = good :D  They have just to choose better plastics for their toys (they said that Coneheads will be very better than previous PP line products... I hope so :D )..

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    iGear = KO.

Whether you like it or not, that's mostly what they do. KOs of other people's work. To be pro-KO and anti-iGear is stupid, and makes no sense. They are the same. They're literally no different from say, the KO company that did the oversized Robot Masters G1 Convoy years ago, or the dozens/hundreds of KO companies that reproduce a TF and just put a different head on it.

So you would support them fucking over a fellow fan, stealing his hard work, and then profitting off it.

Cool.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I think KO's as things like this;

http://www.redshirt.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/moreknock04.jpg

as something that tries to pass itself off as a cheaper version of the real thing, while having many many differences, like colors, or size differences.

Bootlegs, to me are when some one tries to copy a toy EXACTLY, right down the box, like the G1 reissues, then sells it for super high prices, like $300 for a bootleg fort max.

while third parties like fansproject creates mainly add on's, and sometimes completely original TOY designs, while they may be based on the characters, like rodimus, ultra magnus, and optimus prime's trailer, they still completely original designs. fansproject had to design it from the ground up. along with the little targetmaster things that turn into guns, by perfect effect, while they made that camera that looks like reflector, they had to design it from the ground up. thus to me it is not a knock off, but it's own original toy, like the gobots, macross/robotech, and brave series.

it just happens that these toys are based on transformers characters, that is all.

while Igear, seems to be trying to make complete copies of existing transformer toys. sometimes just smaller, like Optimus prime. to me that went too far, when they took MP prime and just made it smaller. thus going into KO territory for me. but KO's are not that bad, they look different, and normally have entirely different paint apps, and different logos. not bad like bootlegs, which make it more and more difficult to find the ORIGINAL toys.

at least with Igear, you are not going to mistake one of their products for the real thing.

so igear, is not bad to me, it is just more like a KO, but they have made some nice original designs; like the kup heads, or the autobot "base"

but sometimes igear likes to captialize on the success of others, like the arcee "tfc's" they happened to come out a little later then tfc's.

sure it looks better, and is probably far higher quality, but they still did captialize on the success of others.

which is what knock off's do.

you take a toy, like bulkhead, repaint it to be blue, and sell it as a transformer, even if it has cheaper plastic, hoping some grand parent will see it and go "oh timmy like's transformers, and this is only 5 bucks!"

and then timmy gets it, and breaks it in five minutes...

lol

5. unicron nemesis

unicron nemesis Infinite Black Photog

News Credits:
    I'm ok with iGear's products. Just hate their service and attitude. Twice I've received banged up boxes which were very obvious NOT due to shipping as the cartons in which they arrived in were still in good condition. Both times I've emailed them about this and both times they have ignored my emails..

In fact the first time I emailed them, I requested for them to be more careful with their goods. And guess what...when the 2nd figure came, the box was even more banged up than the first. They chose to ignore both emails and do a shitty job of shipping. This happend to a few other people I know as well. Since then I've decided not to order directly from them anymore.

6. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its just sad to see a 3rd party company using there resources to basiclly produce what i would term as KO's rather than third party products (as they arent desighned from the ground up) and then charging such a high price for those figures to me all KO's should be cheaper than the official product

7. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I have no problem with Igear. I think that there are a small number of vocal opponents of them that give the negative impression. I agree that they are not very innovative or creative but the products they do sell are stuff that I want and no one else makes.

It is a pity about their choice of selling venue. I do not trust them so I will never buy direct from their site but I expect to have those cone heads via the evilbay.

8. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I think they get hate because they use other molds and just downsize them. However, their Arcee toy is brilliant,

9. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I love the Arcee too, but is says on their site that they do not make it. I tend to believe them because with all the stuff that that the rip off it doesn't make sense to disown the one unique piece.

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    iGear = mostly KO of recent or currently available products (or massively based on them).

11. iTeruri

iTeruri Bulkhead is the best

I don't like either of those three, but I don't hate them either.

12. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol 

You raise a pretty good point.

13. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

iGear took the oversized, top heavy Masterpiece Prime mold, resized it and removed the diecast and in the process made it a far better toy.

I had to return both Hasbro versions for varying QC issues yet my iGear one arrived with no problems at all.

So I don't have any problem with them :D 

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    You returned TWO Masterpiece Primes? What was wrong with them?

15. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't have anything from iGear, so I don't have an opinion on them, but, I do have several KO's, and my opinion of them is that, depending on the quality, they can make good place holders in a collection until a real one can be found.

16. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

The OP has a point. KO fort max gets an amen from some of the same folks who relentlessly argued that igear should be shut down or whatever for making MP primes and seekers. I'm sure we all remember those igear threads.

17. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    KO is here to stay. It creates balance between what is good and bad but not necessarily means that original are good and KOs are bad. It can be a mix and match at times. KO is what drives original manufacturer to raise their standards and KOs role is to copy sell as cheapy as it can so that those who could not afford original can somehow enjoy the product too.

18. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

The first one had bad paint apps and the legs fell off the first time I tried to remove it from the package. All the others left in the TRU at the time had the same issues as I watched the assistant go through the entire pallet.

The leg issue also ocurred with the second Hasbro release I got and not wanting to go through the hassle of waiting for the rest of the stock to be checked for a decent one I just asked for a refund and lost intrest in owning it.

Then iGear came along, resized it so it could be used in my main display instead of the mediocre Classics/Henkei Prime and shipped it to my location ( the UK ) in 7 days with no problems whatsoever for a bit less than the Takara version usually costs.

iGear win.

19. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics henkei prime is far superior to masterpeice prime IMO he is probably the best classic figure we have got. It sounds to me like you are evaluating the figures simply on there resemblance to the g1 character model rather than there own merit. Both figures do there job pretty perfectly one is a good depiction of optimus's cartoon model in masterpeice scale and the other is an updated version of prime to go with your other updated g1 characters who have been given new alternate modes.

Also dont you think its bad that you gave more money than mp prime retails for to a company that didnt design/engineer the figure in the first place and just shrunk it in size.

IMO you paid more money for a undersize KO of an official product just because of the fact that the legs are removable on the original (on all the MP primes i have handled and watched reviews of the legs dont fall off they simply come off when pulled)

20. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    The only thing I'm remotely interested from iGear is the Kup heads.