KO Galaxy Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by TCracker, May 19, 2007.

1. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Note: I know this has been done somewhere before, so apologies and try to bear with me. And one more thing, sorry if this snapshot review looks kinda lame since this is my first anyway.

Okay...where do I start? This is kinda like a very short review cum haul show and tell. Before I left the country on assignment (I'm somewhere else now, so this was purchased a week ago) I came across a very suprising KO..it was none other than Galaxy Force Convoy. I remembered a read somewhere in the TFW2005 forums with regards to the quality of this KO and the reviewer mentioned about how accurate the KO replicated the real deal to a certain extent and can combine with Wing Saber/Sonic Bomber to form Sonic Convoy. So, without hesitation, I grab it and took it home with me.

[​IMG]

Unlike the boxed version of the real thing, this Chinese KO came in a card and a vvveerrrrryyy HUGE card I may add. There are the usual copyright deviation tactics used by the makers of this KO like the missing Autobot logo, the word "TrgnsFirmers" instead of "Transformers", etc...you get the drift.

So, I opened the card and guess what? Immediately, the right leg (the part that allows the thigh to swivel) and the right wheel behind the waist snapped off clean...yup, that is right...it broke, right out of the card.

[​IMG]
    The pic show the leg portion that was connected with a very soft and delicate plastic inside. I was kinda disappointed that it broke but I kept telling myself, what can you expect from a KO? However, I remedied the situation by using a Gundam plastic tray that I have and connected the plastic inside...presto! Leg fixed.

[​IMG]
    As I mentioned earlier, the right wheel was missing the iron peg that holds it together. A bit of tinkering here and there, (all those years modifying my Gundam kits DID paid off) the wheel is back in place.

In robot form, the horns that suppose to stick out in Super Mode went missing, but that is no biggie for me..but at least they got the faceplate gimmick right..:) 

[​IMG]

Another gimmick worth mentioning is this KO actually has the original Matrix chamber....you can take out the Matrix even!
    [​IMG]

Overall, what do I think? Well, first of all, this KO is as big as the original toy, which means it's as close as you can get bar none the defects I pointed out above. The quality of the plastic is not that great (with some really thin and brittle parts-particularly the chest area), but it is serviceable, just don't hurl it around, you'll be fine.

I have TFed it and the truck mode was faithfully reproduced without any discrepencies (sorry, forgot to take pics, doh!), heck, they even have the CyberKey (Force Chip packed and can be used!). It comes with some really goofy electronic light and sound -eg, "Stop! This is a warning, or I will shoot", "Phhew, Phew, Thew, Thew..". He is poseable, he has the right colours and he has the articulation in the right places...oh yah, and he is heavy too.

(Just in case you wonder whether I have the real Galaxy Convoy, the answer is NO. I have a friend who has all the Galaxy Force figures and I had examined some of them very closely, Galaxy Convoy included, so it is easy for me to make comparison here)

What can I say? For USD10, this is as good as it gets. I would'nt advise to play with him rigorously, but then again, if you just want to place him in the cabinet for display purposes, he fits the bill nicely. Now all I have to do is to get some Reprolabels for the Autobot logo and find some Tamiya plastic board to cut out the Ear/Fins Thingy for his Super Mode.

Here is a group shot with my other KOs (The Minicons are real Takara tho...)

[​IMG]

Sorry about the blurry pics, my digi cam officially died and I resorted to the camera on my mobile phone.:( 

2. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Ah, you have the KO Fort Max..I was considering getting that..Then I just bought the real thing. But the KO does look pretty cool actually. The Prime is probably one of the best KO's I've seen, particularly detail wise.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, I've never seen that KO Starscream before. That's one I wouldn't mind having.

Nice review! Good to see the knockoffs get some love every now and then. ^_^

4. megacron

megacron THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!

is it transformable???

5. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, I'd say that paragraph would be a YES as to the KO figure having been transformed.

6. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Thanks, I got the KO Starscream at the local departmental store here for less than USD3. Al I can say is that the mold is reproduced faithfully down to the huge gun and sword. The only complaint I had was:-

- the crown is not balanced, ie one of the horns is molded shorter and not synmetrical with the rest of the horns.
    - the joints are really loose, it takes some effort to make him stand up right.
    - colors were molded wrongly, but nothing some Gunze Sangyo or Tamiya paint can help (future project)

The good part is the alt mode is just the same with the real thing and the face is very detailed for a KO.

As for the KO Galaxy Convoy, he is the best KO I've own and I dont mind getting another one just for the kicks and repainting it Nemesis Convoy.

7. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I finally had the time to really detail and 'fine-tune' some of the paint jobs for this KO, the results are quite good. He looks like the real thing until you actually touch him.

I also recently acquired the real Hasbro Galaxy Force Op and thrown in some pics for comparison.

[​IMG]

Detailing has been done predominantly on the head area

[​IMG]

Added the ear flaps...

[​IMG]

An overview comparison of the 2

[​IMG]

Now all I need is some Reprolabels and you cant tell the difference from far..:D 

8. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    That's a pretty sweet and sleek touch up ! nicely done indeed :thumb 

9. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    ...how'd you get your KO Devestator to has his left arm stay in front? Mine goes to the back all the time.

What store did you go to? I'd buy that solely for the Matrix!

10. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Has anyone seen a KO of the Megatron/Galvatron mold? Since I've seen it, I wanted to kitbash that mold into Galvascream, my idea for an updated starscream....

11. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Dude do you still have the K.O.? where did you get it?

12. nathan_s82

nathan_s82 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would like to get one too!