KO G1 Devastator at Big Lots question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rayzilla Prime, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

I'm not trying to say this is new or anything, because I'm sure they've been around for a while, but a couple weeks ago, my girlfriend and I stopped by Big Lots (it's about 45 minutes away, so it's not like I visit this place a few times a week), and much to my surprise, they had quite a few G1 knock-offs, one of them being G1 Devastator for $8 (there was also a G1 Defensor set as well, but that's for another time). The only noticeable difference between the KO and the original is the color - they're yellow and black instead of green and purple. Not that I'm nitpicking or anything, they actually look decent in this color variant. It looks like it comes with all the accessories the actual toy had, so it's not like they're selling a half-assed set thrown together in someone's garage.

Anywho, as much as I'm not into the overall design aesthetic of the G1 toys themselves, I'm actually pretty tempted to buy one next time I go back. So that brings me to my question - is the plastic decent quality? I've been around a few KO's that are EXTREMELY poor quality, where if you just look at it wrong, it'll crumble like sand. Is this another one of those KO's, or is it a rather decent set all around?

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Its hard to say but odds are the quality is going to be bad. KOs at Big lots are notorious for being of the low quality variety.

3. megatronski

megatronski Primaris

News Credits:
    Its pretty cool. some of the Quality issues are that scrapper does not like to stay connected to devastator, and the faces of the constructicons are warped extremely. other than that, its an ok set.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The fit is wrong on all of them. They're floppy, and you'll see connection issues on all of them.

They're crap. but for 8 bucks, they're okay crap.

5. clintfca

clintfca G1 Inspired

News Credits:
    ^ x 2, for $8 I'd set my expectations pretty low.

6. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I bought it a year or so ago. I'd say it scrapes by being worth the $8, but as with any KO, buy at your own risk. Combined mode can be unstable sometimes. But for display it looks nice and will hold together if you don't mess around with it too much.

7. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any G1 knockoffs I've gotten hold together well enough. Since they dont use ball joints or have high piece count. If you handle it like something that's highend, it could hold up fine.

8. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    I havent gotten any KO's yet, I am highly interested in them. Especially of molds that are hard to find, or fav molds of mine like the classics optimus/Seekers. I plan on getting a bunch soon

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

The set's not bad, but I wouldn't say it's display-worthy either.

10. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    The 5 man teams seem to hold together okay, but that KO Devastator feels like "waxy" plastic. Really struggles to stay combined, particularly the chestwing loves falling off of mine. If you have to have a Devs on a budget, go for it. maybe a good soaking in warm soapy water followed by some repro labels will fix the waxiness.

On a semi related note, I noticed a downsized KO Landcross at my Bealles Outlet for 5 bucks, I'll probably snag him.

11. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I liked them because they're a good source of plastic that's easy to glue, so great for tiny modifications where tiny bits of plastic are required.

12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    You could always prime & paint it, too. :) 

13. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

I bought a set a while ago and I'd say avoid. Pieces don't hold well together to combined mode and rusty metal used. I reviewed them on my blog a while ago: http://ericsyard.blogspot.com/2009/02/transformers-constructicons-ko.html

It's better than no toy but the high quality ones sold by KOToys are a lot better. But the G1 official ones are still the best and you can feel the difference

14. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The KO ones are "ok" for what they are. I have the green KO (low quality) as well as the yellow KO that you can find from Big Lots. They're not the best in plastic quality and they don't "stand up" well in Devastator form. Although they do stand, it's kinda tricky if you don't have the parts lined up in a certain way. I even tried applying the crazy devy parts to it and the darn thing either face planted on the desk or fell backwards consistently no matter how you tried to "pose" it.

Playing with it is one thing. Displaying it....is another. I used the KO's alt modes for display. The G1 and G2 devy's I have are on display with the crazy devy parts.

15. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

From what I'm hearing, it seems to just have connection issues. I can live with that, honestly. It's not like I'm gonna be playing with it every five minutes and/or throwing it across the room. :p 

The last KO I bought was one of those "automatic" Transformers (like Beast Wars Terrorsaur) for $2 from Hobby Lobby (if I remember correctly), where you push a part of the alt. mode, and the whole thing pops into robot mode. Damn thing practically crumbled to dust, its plastic was so brittle. As long as the Devastator set doesn't suffer from that, I'm gonna throw the $8 at it.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Not just connection issues. major loss of detail, sharp edges are now rounded from low quality molds, joints will be loose, and the fit of parts on individual figures is off, which will make them look and feel awkward in either mode.

But yeah, it won't shatter or crumble.

17. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Don't forget that the heads on these yellow KO's seem to be permanently "up." Meaning, they don't fold down for transformation like the original G1's did.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I've actually never heard that before, and I own a yellow and black big lots set. their heads fold down. Hell, they actually flop.

19. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Mine don't lol. Not on the scrapper, scavenger, long haul, hook, or bone crusher. The heads on those are actually part of the same piece as the "chest". Weird.

20. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i bought this for my son and then i gave it away. it falls apart, the bots are missing serious articulation and its just a pile of junk really.