KO G1 Devastator and GF Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sammael, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So, I was running around the town today doing errands (and some shopping), when I came across a guy selling cheap toys from an improvised stall on the street* So, I figured I'd check if he had some TF KOs.

Did he EVER!

He had about 20 different ones, from all lines and generations. I couldn't even recognize everything, and I suspect some of the KOs were changed quite a bit from their originals). I didn't have much cash, so I only got 2: a miniature G1 Devastator for 350 dinars (about $5.8) and a Galaxy Force Starscream for 650 dinars (about $10.8). I probably could have haggled, but I didn't feel like it. BTW, if you think those prices are high - think again. An average Deluxe-sized TF here costs around 1300 dinars, which is $21.7. This KO Starscream is about Mega-sized. I don't own the original, so I have no idea whether he was enlarged or not.

The other KOs of interest included the following:
    • Several combiners similar in size to the Devastator I got. None were instantly recognizable, but I suspect one was Computron-based, and the other Defensor-based. There were several more which I couldn't recognize at all (Micromaster combiners?).
    • G1 Wingspan?!? (he was HUGE - about the size of an Ultra - and came with two smaller TFs, one of which was a bat, and the other looked like a powermaster component. On second thought, it wasn't Wingspan - I just looked on TFU. The box art was definitely Wingspan, though. And it was a huge freaking bird
    • G1 Dreadwind (in awful colors, and he also looked way too big).
    • Energon Bulkhead
    • Cybertron Crumplezone
    • Cybertron Scourge
    • Something that looked a bit like Dai Atlas
    • Something that looked a bit like Victory Saber
    I will have to go back to him sometime next week to see what else he's got. In the meantime, here's a review (with pics) of the stuff I got:

G1 Devastator is tiny! Individual Constructicons are barely Micromaster-sized, and Devastator himself is about the size of an average Deluxe figure from recent lines. As you can see from the pictures, plastic quality appears to be good - but it is, in fact, very fragile. I am afraid to separate the constructicons because I'm pretty sure more than one would end up broken. Long Haul's wheel was broken in transport, I'll need to superglue it.

He came with all Devastator parts (minus the green cannon that attaches to the head), with two drills/missiles for Scavenger and Bonecrusher, Mixmaster's dual-missile, and guns for Bonecrusher, Hook, and Long Haul (in proper colors).

On the stickers, white replaces silver, and the Decepticon insignia lacks the "eyes."

Not sure if this is a common KO or not, but I like it very much!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*This is, unfortunately, still very common in my country.

GF Starscream KO review to come in the next post.

2. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

is wst devi ko

3. Sammael

News Credits:
    I just recognized that the one I thought was Wingspan was actually Doubledealer (I know next to nothing about him... but he IS a powermaster, right?).

4. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

yeah, the larger one is doubledealer, came in a white and normal color version, the quality on that is higher then the micro devastator you bought.

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, I want a mini Devastator.

6. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

I have that devastator and he kicks ASS. I love the lil guy.

7. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Micro devastator (14cm) rocks.

8. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Me too, the mold is good and the plastic is a notch below the ones issued by Hasbro I think, but that is a good haul.

9. Sammael

News Credits:
    Next up, GF/Cybertron Voyager Starscream. First, the images (Dark Crumplezone included for size reference):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am nowhere near as pleased with Screamer as I am with the mini-Devastator. Still, seeing as how the chances of me buying the original GF or Cybertron figure were close to nil, I don't mind having him in the collection. He is still pretty poseable, and a non-collector (i.e. most of my friends) probably can't tell it's a KO when it's posed on a shelf among similar figures.

The plastic is not too bad, but it's not very good either. Certainly worse than mini-Dev. Unfortunately, most pegs and holes don't fit. The joints are tight. REALLY tight. So tight, that transforming him to jet mode is a pain (which I am unlikely to endure the second time, as I think the jet mode sucks for some reason). The cockpit isn't clear, and the color scheme is obviously a simplifaction of the original. He comes with a single spring-loaded missile launcher (which works) and his tailfins (not sure if they are separate on the original toy or not). There are no symbols or insignias, or, for that matter, stickers of any sort on him. His energon blades don't work. Cyber key slot is there, but it's non-functional.

That's about it. Overall, I wish I paid a bit less for him, but I won't lose sleep over it. I may go to the Chinatown next week to see if they have the KOs for less than the guy selling them on the makeshift stall (he probably bought 'em in Chinatown anyway).

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

11. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
  12. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    KO Gestalts for the win!

13. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind seeing some of those KO's popping up at "Big Lot's" next Christmas.

14. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

would be nice

15. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Just on a completely side note. I have G1 + G2 Devastator (Both heavily used), and I have enough Constructicons left over to complete the ugliest, most broken Devastator you've ever seen. I think my friend named him Ghettostator. I dunno, I kinda laugh when I think about him. :) 

16. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Hot damn, did you see the oversized Spychangers???!!!!

17. chubbzilla

chubbzilla One shall stand...

ive got one and they are not vary strong.....i baught a mini dev and the mini stunticons and they broke just by puttin them on my ko shelf