KO DOTM Megatron Shotgun

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by fakebusker83, Jul 5, 2012.

1. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi guys,

I found this picture on the Planet Iacon - Singapore Transformers Fans Unite Facebook page.

[​IMG]

Look familiar, don't they? Note: I had nothing to do with these.
    As some of you on the forums might know, I am Ariel Lemon and I design stuff on Shapeways that can be 3D printed and delivered all over the world to those who want them. In my various designery exploits, I did a model called the 'Feuer Frei' scatter blaster:

[​IMG]

I can't help but find many similarities between the 2 designs shown here, and after mulling over it for a minute, here are my conclusions:

1. Inconclusive evidence - I do not think that the KO product shown here is a direct copy of my model, as it will take a lot of effort to reverse engineer my model physically. What I suspect they did is that they might have used my model to 'reference' scale and details, and built a CAD file from scratch, hence explaining the simpler detail and flat surfaces as opposed to round piping, etc. It is not as obvious a copy as the U.F.O. Optimus hands. Now that one is obviously obvious.

2. Some ideas are definitely reused - Even though I mentioned they did not completely copy the 'Feuer Frei', some elements are dead giveaways. I was the first to construct the handle in such a manner to emulate the curved handle of the movie model, yet retain the functionality of the 5mm peg. Also, they included the side 5mm peg and bottom 3mm clip mount, both which are additions by yours truly and never on the movie model at all. I know we have sayings like 'convergent evolution' and 'great minds think alike', but this is too coincidental for my tastes. Heck, they even have the same hole on the handle.

3. This is a good product - Eh? you'd say. Did Ariel say the KO blaster is a good product? Yes I did, sure. It's a good rendition of Megatron's movie shotgun, albeit simplified. It's made of ABS (hopefully) and if I guess correctly, the barrels are extendable! Wow! Definitely some work has been done to bring it to such a level, copied or not, and I give them credit for it. Heck I'll get 3 for myself.

Again, BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT.

As I mentioned in the other thread:

1. I will not be encouraging anyone to boycott anything. You guys are all discerning customers, and you know which is the better product and go for it. But keep in mind Ariel Lemon did the first rendition. (And yes, I know I took inspiration from the movie model. But the engineering! The engineering!)

And-

3. I love you guys. And I am hoping that you love me back and do this for me. Even though I am not encouraging anyone to boycott anything, if it is okay with you I want you guys to help me spread the word onto this vast Internet. Facebook, flickr, blogs, wherever.

This is the second design I have so far that is allegedly being reproduced by a big, scary company. How long will this continue? Until all my Shapeways stuff is emulated? I am just myself and I don't have any means to protect myself. But I know I have great friends and that's what matters!

"Ariel Lemon did it first."

You can't stop people from copying stuff, but you sure can help customers be aware of where the designs come from.

Attached Files:

2. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Your designs rock. I would add that even if someone buys this because of the better material they can still buy some of your other products to help you out.

Chances are whoever like these or the hands will like your other stuff as well.

3. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    Why would I support them when I can support you so you can keep coming up with these awesome awesome designs that everyone else wants to steal? You are beyond talented Ariel, and oh yes, we know you did it first, and more importantly, better.

Keep up the awesome work man!

4. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    another rip-off ? :O

5. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Thanks for letting us know, Ariel! Yours are better anyway!

6. Arkitect76

Arkitect76 Fanaticon

News Credits:
  7. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    I've looked at your stuff and it's all very impressive, but unfortunately I'm not into upgrading my toys if it involves modding or painting. It's not that I can't, it's that I don't want to. So with your products being on Shapeways, that prevents me from giving any of them a try. But if you were able to get your own 3rd party going and deliver finished product molded in color and painted, I would definitely buy your stuff over any of these mysterious KO companies.

With the talent you have I'm surprised there hasn't been an honest investor in 3rd parties willing to pay you for original designs. I guess it's just easier to wait for your stuff to show up on Shapeways and not give you credit.

8. Cadbane

Cadbane Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a shame.

9. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
  10. jaraxel

jaraxel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To make you feel better... the HK store that sells your stuff actually orders from shapeways (I've done some digging around :)  ).

These... however, makes me puke.

11. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm buying from Fakebuster/Ariel. As a artist I gotta support the original concept and production in this area of 3rd party/custom items.

12. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    a shapeways KO new all time low lol.

13. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

So what's the point of this if dotm voyager megs can't hold this weapon?