KO Dinobots? Quality comparisons

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Oric, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Has anyone had an original dinobot and a new KO dinobot from rescent months? Aside from the piracy concept and the debate that usually follows what are the quality of these KO dinobots to the originals?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Swoop wasn't great, with reports of loose joints and chipping red paint.

The others, I have no idea.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Search the Toyark by the Dinobot name. One of the retailers selling the KO Dinobots has been doing thorough reviews with good pics. I believe he's done Slag and Sludge. And here's a third-party review for Swoop.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  4. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    on thank you... well it looks like if I pick these up i am going to seriously consider doing some modifications, especially to the head pieces of sludge and swoop and break out my air brush or perhaps an ink wash might get a more metallic look to the grey 'skin' of these. I am pretty impressed but it looks like I might do better to wait on sales. ThANK YOU BOTH.

5. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

All I have are the original G1. So no need for the KO. I havent heard about the QC of them so I will keep my eyes open on this thread to see.
    [​IMG]

6. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    One decision that I don't like at all that they took with these were the 'shell pieces' of each were a bit reversed.

In the originals, the metallic heads were chrome silver with a translucent yellow shell. In these knock offs they are gold dino heads with clear faceplates. Why on earth they chose to do this I have no idea. Cosmetically they hcange the over all appearance of slag for one in dinmode, and it really doesn't suit sludge one bit.

7. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The basic gyst of what I got is the consistency of the grey plastic is much more like our modern variants than the near metal versions of the past... a tendency of the red paint, due to being so thing, chipping. There are some details lost in Slug's chrome 'wing plates' and an oddly more metalized gold version of slag. We have th e shell pieces formerly mentioned and the headmolds on most of them seem slighty different, though in my opinion the only one disappointing is swoops. Much of swoop seems a bit different from the original. Other than the head though, nothing else seems all that bad.

I cant tell with the images of snarl but grimlocks looks top notch,

These will be definite purchases as I plan on getting the originals ove r time.

8. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well after more than a little bit of research I have come to a few conclusions based on these knock offs and see why so many are saying to go with the originals.

Though the quality on the outside seem very clsoe to one another, a point i have seen reiterated time and time again is that the cost of these knock offs are generally in line with descent originals. Fully complete, sometiems with instruction, light to know wear originals are selling at on par rates. So aside from the package and the hassle of removing them there doesn't seem to be a big gain on them.

I have yet to research grimlock and no shots have really been available for him as of yet.

On swoop though, if you manage to get a good condition, incomplete swoop and buy the chinese knock off varieion that is running around 40 dollars in most cases you will probably find a winner between the two purchases. Bot only, the original swoop runs pretty close to the seventy to ninety dollar mark. The extra forty dollars will give you a new stickersheet and all the accessories plus a half descent box.

But really for the risk of buying knock offs and the value you really get with them, i mean they seem very descent but you still are better off with finding an original that is just out of box. Alot of people seem to have taken care of their dinobots, so alot of thme suffer very little considering the 23 years that have passed.