KO DIA Powered Commander in-hand pics and thoughts

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sizzle, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I got my hands on one of the newly released DIA Powered Commander KO sets from KOToys.com and I posted a ton of pictures on my blog.

[​IMG]

To make a long story short, it's AMAZING. These KOs are getting better and better every day. I cannot find a single flaw in it. Everything is KO'ed: the box, the sticker sheet, the comic/instruction book, the TFCon stuff like the energon cube case... If there is a way to detect that you're buying a KO when buying this, I haven't been able to find it.

The parts snap onto Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus pretty much perfectly. I do not recommend putting this on one of the lower quality KO Primes, though. The legs work OK, but the chest and arms have some issues and don't quite fit properly.

This set comes with shoulder rocket launchers also.

I've set up a gallery at my blog: New Knock-Off Fansproject DIA Powered Commander « Sizzle's Sandbox

Or you can visit my blog's front page by clicking the banner in my sig.

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review. Interesting -- I could see myself getting one of these KO armors if they were to be released with new decos.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    wow, that's insane. Its really amazing.

4. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    cool! I want one too. quality and fair price = MUST BUY!

5. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    so this is on the prime from ko toys or an official one. I wasnt sure if you meant the combo or not when you said set

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sizzle said the KO armor fits well on a legit Classics Prime, but not well on a KO Prime.

7. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I saw that but he said the lower quality KO but kotoys sells both.....unless he's just saying all the KOs are lower quality

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I've kinda made my peace with KOs lately. I mean, there should be choice for everyone wether you want originals or repros right? My only problem is when there is very little or no way to tell the two apart.
    I'm sure there must be some 'tells' on the KO DIA armour which someone will find eventually, but it is a little concerning that there is the potential for the market to become flooded with any TF ever made - especially the way things are going at this rate. I guess if you don't buy something as soon as it is released, you're chances of knowing exactly what you're buying diminish almost daily.

9. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    I thought someone mentioned somewhere that the KO dia cases were ALL clear, where the authentics are just clear windowed ?

10. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have the original one... but I so miss that convention's energon case :D 

Anyway, after tested the ko shadow commander a chinese ebayer sold me time ago, I'll buy no more a FP ko product.... at least until I've to search for something so rare that I need to get the ko version (snowman appendage for example) but I love too much the work that FansProject guys do and they deserve my respect :) 

11. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Easiest way to tell if you got a KO DIA Commander, is if it comes with the energon case. Only the TFCon version has the case. So chrome + energon case = KO.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Quite possibly. But if some dishonest seller, on eBay for example, decides to sell an opened one and takes out the suitcase, how would we know if it is a KO or the original?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the priciple of KOs per se, I just think everyone should be entitled to know exactly what they are buying.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the shoulder stripes are not even on both sides of the figure, that's dead give away considering fp's quality paint. besides that, why buy a ko of the dia commander since it's cheap anyways?

14. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this :D 

15. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    My sentiments exactly. If you can catch bbts or other sites during sales the real dis commander set is fairly cheap. It doesn't come with the briefcase but it's the real deal. It's cool they made a quality ko, but they should have started with the shadow commander rather than the easiest and cheapest of the bunch.

Cool find though! Thanks for the pics and info.

16. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    you can always spend 50 bucks to get the energon brief case and then sell the commander itself for like 30.

17. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

So where can I reliably buy an "original" FP DIA Commander for $50? Are there a lot of those options out there?

18. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Just to clarify, the pictures show an actual legit Classics Optimus Prime wearing the armor.

19. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think it ever got down to 50 but it was 70-80 bucks for the longest time.

Besides, this set after shipping will probably be closer to the original 70+ retail price of DIA Commander. With that in mind, I do not understand the appeal of these KO's... for another 10-15 bucks you could have brought the original! :drunk 

Plus, no matter how awesome the reviewer makes this product sound, its still a copy and with QC all over the place, you'll run into problems. For instance, check out the Thundercracker review thread now.. the mood has definitely changed:2c: 

20. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I would much rather have the original. I don't like the way Ghenzao works and I'd much rather support the company that designed the figure.