KO Devastator vrs G1 comparison ? Help!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kenny278, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Kenny278

Kenny278 Fort Max fan

Hi folks

Yes I'm sure its been mentioned 100's of times... but any time I put in "Devastator" into the search I get 10 pages of threads which are not really what I'm looking for.

Basically I bought a Devastator from ebay (sharp intake of air)

Now I have it .. .I'm concerned if it is a reproduction or not.. the toy itself seems great - but if its not genuine after being advertised as g1

Can someone point out a site or any info I can have a look at...there doesn't seem to be a lot of metal.. the are very well looked after - a bit loose, some sticker damage ( one has just fallen off as I picked one up) good chrome and the odd metal part on them, the rubsigns are all there.. couple damaged they all have copyright stamps takara co. ltd.
    japan 1980 - 1984

auction listing is here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=250226607832&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=015

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  3. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Wow, that sure is a nice looking Devastator. The superb condition might suggest it's recently made, but I think that's overshadowed by the seller's current and past auctions of gorgeous looking Transformers that haven't been bootlegged (yet). I'm going to speculate it's legit.

You may want to PM agesthreeandup here on the forums. Since he sells the bootlegs, and doesn't hide their origin when he does, he'll surely be able to spot the differences.

4. Kenny278

Kenny278 Fort Max fan

will do ...

I found plenty of box comparisons anyway ...

The copyright stamps also vary slightly ...possibly a mix ...

Hook has hasbro & takara

the rest

long haul - takara only
    mix master - takara
    scrapper - takara - has slight rust on the wheels too
    bonecrusher - takara
    scavenger takara stamp

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I think it's legit, but don't take my word for it.

6. butz

butz slippery when wet

At least it certainly doesn't appear to be one of the cheap KOs. I've never inspected one of the higher end KO Devastators, so I can't help there. looking at the pictures, the damage on some of them suggests that they have some age to them (discoloration of scavenger's shovel arm, and the abrasions to his chest piece)... unless they went to some crazy lengths to make them look legit.
    BTW, Original Constructicons didn't really have a whole lot of die cast in them; I wouldn't use the low amount of metal alone as a basis for thinking they are KOs. If I had mine handy I could give you a rundown of where there's metal on the originals (Hook's torso parts and connector, Scavenger's chest, little connector bits here and there... can't even think of anything else off hand).
    Sharpness of details (particularly the individual cons faces) is a dead giveaway with the cheaper KOs, but again, I don't know if that holds true with the higher end ones.

7. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

The new wave of Devastator KO's has just surfaced on eBay. I think Agesthree&up posted a topic recently on here about them. They are supposed to be very good copies, and come in a repro of the G1's packaging with foam tray etc. Seller's seem to want about $120 for them. If they're as good as the Prime KO's I may bite if the price comes down.

But yours looks like it has come from a (good) childhood collection, judging by what he has for sale/sold. I know where you are coming from though, I am very skeptical about buying a genuine 80's boxed Prime now. I have several KO versions and the boxes vary, one is very accurate in particular. Toy quality is about 80% as good as genuine item. Tough to tell with just an eBay listing picture if the item is legit, particularly if you're aiming for a cheap one from an inexperienced seller!

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Agesthreeandup's latest KO Devastator news was in regards to another company making a non-diecast, high-quality version for around $55. Here's my news post from last week.

9. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am looking at the Chinese reissues/KOs on Ebay with diecast parts. Anyone know how the quality is on these?

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

We shall see, we shall see. But don't get your hopes up. They could be low quality in a recent KO box, that was itself going for about $50.