KO Devastator from Kidi Toys (The company that did KO Metroplex)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Might Gaine, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I got one of these as a reference for telling apart the fakes from the originals, since it seemed like there weren't any obvious tells on the box (but I learned there were actually quite a few). I don't buy counterfeits usually, but since I got it, I throught I might as well do a review.

While in the box they appear to be near-perfect reflicas of the originals, it turns out that the toys themselves are pure crap. In fact, I think this actually is the $5 KO version just in better packaging and maybe using better plastic, more chrome paint, and proper stickers and sticker placement.

You'd think that would be an improvement over the $5 version, but it's not, because the $5 version at least had decent QC--the QC on this set is ridiculously bad. Parts are floppy or don't turn fully--I seriously can't even form Devastator. Parts are detaching or cracking on the first transformation. Paint is applied sloppily. Sticker sheets are totally misaligned.

The reason I think they used the $5 version of the mold is the lack of detail on the faces. They looks very blobby. It's just like the $5 version, maybe even worse. There's no way these faces would pass for originals.

It's really surprising how horrible these KOs are. Was the Metroplex this bad? I've always felt people should stay away from the counterfeits, but even if you like counterfeit G1, stay away from this set. It's a waste of money. I'm actually thowing mine in the trash.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Whoah. Hardly a glowing report there, d00d. Any chance you could take a few pics before binning it? I'm sure a lot of people would like to see how bad it is, myself included.

3. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Well, thanks for taking one for the team.

Following what Draven requested, are there any identifiable flaws/differences that are visible, say, from a short distance as one would see it in a picture?

4. Might Gaine

News Credits:
  5. unicron_is_god

unicron_is_god Banned

the metroplex was not that bad..the plastic tones were a little off and mine has swirly colors on the back of one leg...but all the joints are tight and weapons are looking like a stock g1 release. the sticker sheet sucked ass...never bothered to apply the stickers...the KO metrotitan was very cool also...that neon pink was AWESOME...the sticker sheet sucked also with that one....

6. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Good to know this feedback review wasn't biased in any way. :thumb 

7. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

lol :D 

good read for a laugh

8. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    I'm obviously not a big fan of the counterfeits, but it's hard to be biased when Mixmaster can't form Devastator's foot, Long Haul can't form Devastator's gut, everything flops around loosely, the heads all look like crap, and things are falling apart worse than the $5 version. It's just objectively extremely bad. This is probably the worst quality of all the counterfeits, even Swoop.

I'm actually surprised no one else has spoken up about these. I've at least heard one or two positive remarks about the Zhong Jin die-cast Devastator counterfeits, but I still haven't seen any posts positive or negative about this plastic Kiditoys set, besides my own. And I know I'm not the only one who bought one.

9. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

I remember back in the day, I asked a guy in here who happen to sell those, he told me they were 99% exact replicas of the original ones.....maybe you fall in that minimum 1%?

Either way, I will stay clear....

10. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    There have now been 2 companies producing KO Devastator giftsets, Kidi Toys (the one reviewed here) and Zhong Jin. The latter is known to be much better quality. Perhaps that's the one that you are referring to(?).

11. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Yeah, I bought this from a guy who told me something similar, but apparently he never bothered to take one out of the packaging...