KO City Commander Trailer Purple (Shattered Glass)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by nelodiavolo, Apr 5, 2012.

1. nelodiavolo

nelodiavolo Transformer Nerd

News Credits:
    Hey City Commander Junkies,

I just received my KO City Commander Trailer Purple (AKA Shattered Glass) today and would like to give my opinion on it. I was fighting the lighting in my room, so some pics are a bit blurry, but bear with me...
    :drunk 

The Figure came in a plain white box. Just a lone sticker that I can't read. It was shipped rather quickly from Robot Kingdom and was packed really well with sturdy foam.

[​IMG]

The contents are pretty much all that you would expect from an official release. Missiles, plugs for the armor, decent looking stickers, instructions, and a pretty cool sword.

[​IMG]

Attached to my KO Double SG prime, it looks pretty awesome. The paint applications are pretty well done, with only slight paint blurriness on the white highlights.

[​IMG]

The backside. Colors look great.

[​IMG]

From the front. The missiles are thankfully tight on mine. Maybe just slightly too tight.

[​IMG]

"Til all are gone" written on both sides. The white paint looks pretty good here. A lot sharper than my KO SG Prime.

[​IMG]

Ok so, it looks really nice in trailer mode, but lets get this thing in bot mode. Now, off the bat, I knew of the fitment issues with these KO armors, so I will give some feedback on what my experience is like.

In CC mode, there is a lot of looseness in the top half of the armor. The shoulder armor and arm pieces suffer from this and take some fiddling if you are trying to get in a pose. The arms really need to be bent to hold the sword. The right seems to be the worst on mine. The feet however, are rock solid.

[​IMG]

The face and other small details are great. Just a slight misalignment on the chest armor, but not really noticeable from afar.

[​IMG]

You can see the unused trailer part in the background. Unfortunately, there is a small alignment defect on one of the sides, so I can't lock it into gun mode since the tabs will not line up for the plastic piece that is suppose to hold it together. Not too bummed though, I really don't use the BFG anyway.

[​IMG]

Compared to my Official City Commander. I think they look good together. :D 

[​IMG]

So overall, even with a few QC issues with misaligned parts, loose arm and shoulder armor, I'd still recommend it to anyone who has interest in Shattered Glass type figures. If you already have a KO Double SG Prime, you might as well get this too. It looks great in either mode. For $39 plus shipping, its even sold at a decent price.

Thanks for looking! :thumb 

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. Malancthon

Malancthon Kyūkyoku Hakaishin

I'd like to add some additional notes, if I may, since I don't have a camera to share.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that the sword's holder can be plugged into Prime's back slot (that normally holds the wind vane shield in both forms), which looks pretty bad ass.

Speaking of the wind vane, the shoulder hole to store it behind the left arm doesn't work in the full armor mode. I think it's due to the cut angle of the peg that serves as the grip doesn't provide enough grip to secure it in the hole. However, keeping the wind vane in the shield/rooftop configuration can be secured to the shoulder storage. I lift up the flap on the left shoulder armor to get the short peg closer to the hole.

The slot for the other gun was a bit tight but it finally fit in. That might be due to the unshattered KO Prime I got with the armor.

I noticed the same issue with the Slagmaker Cannon- one of the plates that serves as the outer wall in the trailer form ("Til All Are Gone!") isn't pushed all the way in when it was constructed. However, the strut used to connect the sides in the Slagmaker does keep it together well enough to keep it in cannon mode.

Which leads to another tangent. When transforming the trailer and cab, I found attaching that strut onto the Prime cab first, then sliding the strut into it's slots in the cab leads to a very secure connection. Many youtube reviews of the armor have the trailer sort of lay there, making it appear it doesn't secure at all. I was happy to find out that it does connect.

Another common thing youtube reviewers mention is the fear of sliding the Prime's legs into the armored pants. I felt no fear with this. The plastic feels very sturdy, with just enough bend to pop the legs in.

I used some rubber foam for windows to tighten the shoulder armor. There's still some droopage, but no fear it's going to go anywhere. I haven't yet figured the best place to put the foam on the gauntlets. They slide out a bit, but even holding the Slagmaker, I haven't found much issues with the connection, so it serves for now. I'm looking into ways to secure the gauntlets better.

The gauntlets do present one concern, though. Rotating the hands make the two parts that form the top and bottom seem to split. I'm not sure if they will eventually split apart or not.

I did not have any problems with him holding onto the sword. The only flaw I have is he doesn't have anyway of storing everything on him, since I attached the shoulder missiles/blasters on him. However, with the Slagmaker in one hand, the sword in the other, he holds everything in a most awesome manner.

A youtube review (Peaugh's, I believe) mentioned the big cannon can be stored on his back. I haven't figured out how to do this. Any suggestions?

The energon container is pretty neat extra. Eight energon cubes held loosely inside. Opening the container allows a closed fist like a standard Transformer hand to slide through the handle and hold the case naturally. Neat.

The comic/instructions is interesting. No words in it at all, mostly black and white with color for energon cubes. The Warbot Defender is chasing down a NOTPRIME fugitive, who uses one cube to power up the armor. I'm not sure if the NOTPRIME is supposed to be Nemesis Prime or someone else. The character beats down Warbot Defender, but doesn't use the sword associated with the Shadow Commander set, and the last page shows full color of DIA Commander- again, not sure if it's to be a preview of DIA Commander, or if the instructions are from DIA Commander.

In the end, a really cool set, great colors, great personality. I am gonna play with the character as SG Prime shunted out of the SG universe and now a bounty hunter who serves as a villain to villains. The normal City Commander head will hide the fact that he is (a) Optimus Prime.

3. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review :thumb 

Can't wait to get mine in. Mine left customs yesterday so its on its way! :D 

4. nelodiavolo

nelodiavolo Transformer Nerd

News Credits:
    Thanks for the extra details Malancthon and welcome to the boards! Your post answered some questions I had after posting. I was wondering what that box of cubes were. I thought it came with an official Shadow Commander or something. My CC didn't have that.

I'm going to try to make the hand armor a bit more snug, but I'll need to research so I don't mess the figure up.

I also had problems plugging the guns on the back of the shoulders. The hole is a bit too big. And those flaps that are suppose to fold behind the armor are pretty loose.

Still, the plastic quality is good and is only slightly off to the official thing.

5. Malancthon

Thanks for the greeting.

Some investigating this morning did reveal that the instructions are for the DIA Commander, as are the energon cubes and case. So it appears that the KO is based off of DIA Commander. The inclusion of the Shadow Commander sword is a bonus, then.

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I've not found any thing Ideal for the gauntlets either I just shoved a bit of card inside his arm and that seems to work more or less. Curiously only the right side one is loose the left one is fine.

7. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

I hate bumping old threads. To anybody who got this, is the face glued into the helmet? I can't get the face out to change it.

8. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was curious which toys comic does it come with? It that the instructions for DIA Commander?

9. Malancthon

From what I gathered, it is the comic book instructions for the DIA Commander set.

I also was unable to get the faceplate to remove. I think it is glued in.

10. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

Thanks Malancthon! Now to find a way to dissolve this glue...

11. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay: